PDA

View Full Version : McAffee wines Vista is too Secure

Pages : [1] 2

Zelda_fan
10-14-06, 12:33 PM
http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4403

haha this is great

"VISTA is too secure, so no one will buy our products. ANTI TRUSTSS!!! OMG ANTI TRUST!"

PeterJensen
10-14-06, 12:46 PM
hehe you know all the "hax" for Counter-strike. They dont work in Vista and maybe never will. The cheat cant inject into the core system :)

Zelda_fan
10-14-06, 01:02 PM
I think what MS is doing is great. About time they locked down the core.

That's like asking BMW to put cheap parts in their cars just so the repair shop can do business when they break down.

grey_1
10-14-06, 02:35 PM
That's awesome! I have never heard of that before, but it sure is welcome.

Q
10-14-06, 02:49 PM

That's like asking BMW to put cheap parts in their cars just so the repair shop can do business when they break down.

Excellent analogy.

einstein_314
10-14-06, 03:00 PM

I know. Everybody complains about how insecure WinXp is. And then they go and bash Vista for being too secure?!? How does that make any sense at all?!? Well, i guess the companies see it differently...it will put them out of business...but for us, the end user, it's a good thing.

Bman212121
10-14-06, 03:09 PM
If they lock the Kernel it should hopefully keep a lot more things out. I will be glad when the day comes that I don't need a AV protection running 24 x 7 that hogs all the resources and can imbed itself so far into your OS that it is hard to remove it. :) If you have ever tried to remove Symantec you'll know what I'm talking about.

If Vista can actually make it so that we don't need A/V running all the time or a much lighterweight client can be run I'm all for it.

Slammin
10-14-06, 05:12 PM
Yeah, remember the browser wars? Wonder how much money MS had to pay lawyers just so that they continue to ship Windows with IE years back.

Really a shame MS has to jump through so many hoops. And all for just trying to make a great product.

evilghost
10-14-06, 07:26 PM
You guys may want to hold off on the "Vista is uber secure" comments until it actually is released en-mass to the public. We'll see just how secure it is. With the case-history Microsoft has and their Trustworthy Computing initiative we saw something tells me Vista is going to be as secure as a soft-top Miata down in Key-West with a seat full of Tickle Me Emo's.

http://www.unpunk.com/~webtrash/images/tickle_me_emo.jpg

evilghost
10-14-06, 07:40 PM
Oh by the way, Microsoft caved and will allow Symantec/McAfee to be installed/used:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/13/AR2006101301280.html

Zelda_fan
10-14-06, 10:51 PM
Oh by the way, Microsoft caved and will allow Symantec/McAfee to be installed/used:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/13/AR2006101301280.html

M$ just said that to keep the pleebs happy for now. Hopefully they won't let anyone into the core.

Ya know, it would just make your day to see Vista get hacked to pieces come launch day.

Mr_LoL
10-14-06, 11:32 PM
Who actually buys all that mcaffe bloatware crap anyway? Free antivirus and firewalls ftw.

netviper13
10-14-06, 11:52 PM
Hah, yeah I was really amused when I heard about this. Of course AV companies are absolutely pissed at the idea of a secure OS - their entire business thrives on the security flaws of software. They'll just have to adapt along with Vista. There is no right to a stable business environment, that's for damn sure.

einstein_314
10-15-06, 12:23 AM
Who actually buys all that mcaffe bloatware crap anyway? Free antivirus and firewalls ftw.
QFT!! I used mcafee antivirus once and hated it. I've been using AVG antivirus now for 3 years and have yet to get a virus. And it's free. It doesn't get any better than that!

evilghost
10-15-06, 09:02 AM
M$ just said that to keep the pleebs happy for now. Hopefully they won't let anyone into the core.

Ya know, it would just make your day to see Vista get hacked to pieces come launch day.

I'll admit I'd likely be happier than a queer in prison to see an OS infested with DRM, licensing restrictions, pseudo-security, and insane hardware requirements fail.

saturnotaku
10-15-06, 10:10 AM
I'll admit I'd likely be happier than a queer in prison to see an OS infested with DRM, licensing restrictions, pseudo-security, and insane hardware requirements fail.

It's exactly for this reason that I'm happily going to pay for both Vista and Office 2007 when they're released.

Zelda_fan
10-15-06, 05:53 PM

The next time I open my wallet to M$ and proclaim "here you go boys, have your fill!" I'll be thinking of you.

evilghost
10-15-06, 05:56 PM
The next time I open my wallet to M$ and proclaim "here you go boys, have your fill!" I'll be thinking of you.

Please do, seriously. Next time I apt-get some bleeding edge software or fail to taint my system with inefficient antivirus software, spyware scanners, and defragmentation utilities I'll also think of you (and consequently laugh like a parent does to their two year old child when they do something they think is intelligent).

Mooslims run Microsoft.

Zelda_fan
10-15-06, 06:03 PM
Mooslims run Microsoft.

Bill Gates and Steve Balmer are so slick they are really Arabs. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

evilghost
10-15-06, 06:05 PM
Bill Gates and Steve Balmer are so slick they are really Arabs. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

Exactly. How you failed to see this before further concerns me. "Start, Run, Jihad".

Absolution
10-16-06, 12:43 PM
hehe you know all the "hax" for Counter-strike. They dont work in Vista and maybe never will. The cheat cant inject into the core system :)
RARRR ZOMG H4xx!!! =P :):)

Its all for fun and not games though :)

rewt
10-16-06, 01:09 PM
It is an oxymoron in itself. You can never be too secure.

Vista's new networking stack is going to be a prime target. It was vulnerable to the old LAND attack for Christ's sake, which was fixed years ago in the old (tested and stable) stack. McAfee should focus more of their attention on things like this.

Besides that, there's going to be a lot of people disabling Vista's security measures because they don't like the annoying popup message every two seconds.. Therefore viruses will still be able to run as Admin and do almost as much damage as before.

PeterJensen
10-16-06, 02:52 PM
I just installed RC1 @ work. A P4 3.0 ghz with 1.5 gb ram and a 7300GS. Wow it is really faster then XP overall.

Son Goku
10-16-06, 04:41 PM
I know. Everybody complains about how insecure WinXp is. And then they go and bash Vista for being too secure?!? How does that make any sense at all?!? Well, i guess the companies see it differently...it will put them out of business...but for us, the end user, it's a good thing.

Meh, it's McAffee complaining about their bottom line... They just want money selling sub-par programs... They're just afraid of losing market share due to MS releasing a better product... That about sums this all up.

Meh, I'll say this much; if these people made a product more on par with either NOD32 or Kaspersky, I might take their complaints more seriously.

Rakeesh
10-16-06, 05:17 PM
Hah, yeah I was really amused when I heard about this. Of course AV companies are absolutely pissed at the idea of a secure OS - their entire business thrives on the security flaws of software. They'll just have to adapt along with Vista. There is no right to a stable business environment, that's for damn sure.

Well well well, a liberal is beginning to see the light :D There's hope for you afterall :D