PDA

View Full Version : New Rig Unstable

Muppet
10-16-06, 02:35 AM
:( Hi guys, i need your help. I have just put together my new PC. My problem is i can't get the memory to run at its rated speed. It's Corsair DDR2 850 Dominator 1066 memory. Timmings are 5-5-5-15@1066 2.2volts. When i set it to this all i get is reboots. Even if i can boot into windows i try to run an app like a game and the PC just reboots. I run it under spec at 800 and it's fine. I downloaded Memtest and ran that all i get is a lot of errors. I can up the voltage to 2.4 and i get no errors in Memtest, but with heavy gaming i still get reboots.
Now i'm still using the same powersupply i had with my AMD64 4400 overclocked PC with 2 SLI 512mb 7800s, so i'm guessing it's not a power problem.
All i can think of is the memory is broken.

Dazz
10-16-06, 04:14 AM
What is the rated voltage of the memory and the airflow also. Hvae you tried using lower mulipliers for the CPU and test it at 1066MHz? This ways you can find out if you overclocked the CPU to much or it's the memory, 2nd it could be the memory getting hot, check their temp and make sure they get some airflow, 2.4v is alot for DDR-2 so i would expect them to get hot. More so under heavy use.

Muppet
10-16-06, 04:18 AM
What is the rated voltage of the memory and the airflow also. Hvae you tried using lower mulipliers for the CPU and test it at 1066MHz? This ways you can find out if you overclocked the CPU to much or it's the memory, 2nd it could be the memory getting hot, check their temp and make sure they get some airflow, 2.4v is alot for DDR-2 so i would expect them to get hot. More so under heavy use.
The rated voltage is 2.2@1066, but that's not stable. CPU isn't overclocked yet, i'm just trying to get it to run at stock speeds fine. Then i'll overclock.
Air flow is excellant. Divider is running at 1/1. FSB=266

Subtestube
10-16-06, 04:52 AM
Just a thought (Not a very useful one), but it could be the northbridge - the chipsets get very very hot running at that kind of speed, so even though the CPU isn't overclocked, the Chipset is actually running at above its normal speed.

Muppet
10-16-06, 05:55 AM
Just a thought (Not a very useful one), but it could be the northbridge - the chipsets get very very hot running at that kind of speed, so even though the CPU isn't overclocked, the Chipset is actually running at above its normal speed.
CPU is idling at 19 degrees and the Chipset at 30 degrees. So i'm not sure if that's the problem. The CPU idles at 25 degrees when overclocked to 3.8 and the Chipset is around 35 degrees.

Muppet
10-16-06, 05:57 AM
Even when i only run the Memory at DDR800 i'm still getting reboots when playing company of heroes. That's with no overclock on the CPU and the Ram underclocked.

DataMatrix
10-16-06, 07:54 AM
BIOS updated?

grey_1
10-16-06, 12:49 PM
Have you tried one stick at a time? different slots? If memtest if erroring like crazy on you, you might have a bad stick of ram.

Subtestube
10-16-06, 04:26 PM
Yeah - my first Corsair kit for my new rig was bad as well - ended up just having to RMA. Not the best solution, but everything is great now.

Muppet
10-17-06, 12:36 AM
BIOS updated?
Yes i'm using the 1407 bios

Muppet
10-17-06, 12:38 AM
Have you tried one stick at a time? different slots? If memtest if erroring like crazy on you, you might have a bad stick of ram.
Yes memtest errors like crazy with both sticks of Ram, even when just running 1 stick. It doesn't matter which one. I have also put the Ram in the other slots with the same results :(

Muppet
10-17-06, 12:40 AM
It's very strange how both sticks get a lot of errors in memtest, does anyone think it could be the motherboard not supplying enough voltage to the Ram.

Roadhog
10-17-06, 01:02 AM
I would say bad memory, I had the same problem with my ram.. RMA'd it and it works perfectly now. :D

Muppet
10-17-06, 01:05 AM
I would say bad memory, I had the same problem with my ram.. RMA'd it and it works perfectly now. :D
I have just got back from taking the Memory back and they will check it out. It does seem a little strange as this Ram is supposed to be rigorously tested by Corsair

Roadhog
10-17-06, 01:08 AM
I have just got back from taking the Memory back and they will check it out. It does seem a little strange as this Ram is supposed to be rigorously tested by Corsair

I highly doubt they test every stick. They probably test like 1 out of 100 or 1000 maybe.. dunno.

Muppet
10-17-06, 01:10 AM
I highly doubt they test every stick. They probably test like 1 out of 100 or 1000 maybe.. dunno.
If that's the case then it probably is the Memory. Although i've never heard of 2 sticks being bad at the same time.

Roadhog
10-17-06, 01:12 AM
If that's the case then it probably is the Memory. Although i've never heard of 2 sticks being bad at the same time.

It happens. If it will run at 800mhz, and not 1066 or whatever the rated speed is then its probably definetly the memory.