PDA

View Full Version : 7950GX2:Good frame rates, but games feel "jittery"

sspot5
10-16-06, 11:01 PM
I am running Oblivion with most settings maxed. I am getting good frame rates, but the game still feels jittery.

I have captured a video of a small outdoor section to show you what I mean.

http://files.filefront.com/Oblivion_2006_10_16_21_116avi/;6031630;;/fileinfo.html

In this section I am getting 30+ FPS. Does this look right? Maybe my eyes are just too sensitive.

System:
Asus P5N32-SLI-SE Deluxe
Core 2 Duo 6600
2GB DDR2-800
Nvidia 7950GX2 (91.47 Drivers)

glObalist
10-17-06, 03:53 AM
I believe that's the infamous nVidia shimmering right there. Had that too in Oblivion although my FPS were good (was using a 7900GT). Plus the game engine is quite jittery itself so that doesn't help the experience either... :(

CaptNKILL
10-17-06, 07:32 AM
I believe that's the infamous nVidia shimmering right there. Had that too in Oblivion although my FPS were good (was using a 7900GT). Plus the game engine is quite jittery itself so that doesn't help the experience either... :(
Shimmering doesnt have anything to do with framerate or smoothness... its referring to the textures having speckles in them that "shimmer" at a certain distance. I dont see this so much any more though...

I've heard of this jittering with SLI though and its likely one of the things thats made me less than impressed with my 7950's performance.

I try not to think about it though. Bring on G80 and I'll be happy. :p

glObalist
10-17-06, 07:50 AM
Shimmering doesnt have anything to do with framerate or smoothness...

I never said it does. You can see the leaves on the trees shimmer in the video, just like it does in the real game though. Add to that the overall feel of movement/the jitter in this game and you're left with one unpleasing gaming experience IMO. Although I know you'll be darn quick to defend everything about Oblivion no matter what everyone else is saying :D

sspot5
10-17-06, 08:58 AM
I was reading somewhere that FRAPS captures video at the directX layer before it is even sent to the driver? If this is true, then maybe it is not an issue with the card, but rather the engine?

glObalist
10-17-06, 09:02 AM
Well do you experience the same problem in Oblivion with AND without FRAPS running?

Medion
10-17-06, 12:39 PM
Ithink I may know what you mean, but I did not watch your video. Are you referring to the framerate being smooth, but the speed of the game speeds up and slows down? If this is it, read on.

I had this problem on some games that were not dual-core friendly. I fixed it by installing AMD's updated CPU driver. It's really not too notcable unless you've got a card (or cards) that can get you relatively high framerates.

If this is your problem, I'd look around for Intel's CPU driver, if they have one.

sspot5
10-17-06, 12:47 PM
Well do you experience the same problem in Oblivion with AND without FRAPS running?

Yes, I do. I know that the video capture will drop the FPS, but the main effect is still the same.
I also experience it in other games as well, such as WoW. It's not as bad in WoW, but that jittery feel is still there, mostly at the bottom sides of the screen. I also upgraded to a 21" widescreen LCD from a standard 19" LCD.

It could that these effects were always there and that the larger picture and brigher image is allowing me to see them better.

sspot5
10-17-06, 12:55 PM
Ithink I may know what you mean, but I did not watch your video. Are you referring to the framerate being smooth, but the speed of the game speeds up and slows down? If this is it, read on.

Hmm, I'm not sure I would describe it as speeding up and slowing down.
It feels more along the lines of every other frame being dropped, but not that severe.
Imagine you are moving forward and there is point/pixel drawn at line 20. You would expect that as you move forward the next pixel for the object would be drawn at line 21, but instead doesn't show up until line 22. So it kind of feels like skipping, but again not quite as severe.

Shocky
10-17-06, 04:13 PM
The main problem with SLI is the framrate may be 30fps+ but it will oftern feel like 15-20fps... This at least for me is very obvious in Oblivion and to me is unplayable.. Looking forward to the 8800GTX launch so I can sell this POS GX2.

3DBrad
10-17-06, 09:09 PM
Are you using an IDE harddrive or a newer Sata/sata3gbsec.HDD?

3DBrad
10-17-06, 09:11 PM
The main problem with SLI is the framrate may be 30fps+ but it will oftern feel like 15-20fps... This at least for me is very obvious in Oblivion and to me is unplayable.. Looking forward to the 8800GTX launch so I can sell this POS GX2.

Just because your computer isn't acting right or not performing how you think it should, don't blame it on the card.

I have had a 7800gtx, a 7900gtx, and a 7950gx2 and I'm happiest w/ the Gx2. The performance is awesome and I haven't had too many problems.

sspot5
10-17-06, 09:52 PM
Are you using an IDE harddrive or a newer Sata/sata3gbsec.HDD?

I am using a 7200 rpm SATA drive. Fully defragged with Diskeeper.

sspot5
10-17-06, 09:55 PM
I'm starting to think it is more of an issue with the engine(or configuration) then my hardware.
I installed Half Life 2 and it runs like butter. Perhaps Oblivion just won't run as smooth as I was expecting, even with a high frame rate.