PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro unable to install

kev13dd
10-17-06, 12:09 AM
Hey there

So I recently upgraded my system with a new motherboard, ram, and 64 bit processor. I was told I should do a repair install for the new software, which I did. Except in the middle of the install, after I enter my CD key, it keeps telling me "cannot find file" which are located in the I386 folder. I thought it might be a bad CD (scratched or something) do I made a copy of it with Clone CD. Still won't work. So I copied the files from the disk to the harddrive on the computer I'm instaling. Still says cannot find the files, even though I can see and select them from the disk or harddrive...

Sigh...

Is there anything I'm missing here? I've tried swapping out ram, disabling CD drives... nothing. Help?

-Kevin

stncttr908
10-17-06, 12:46 AM
I would just do a clean install. Why bother running that new hardware on a gunked up XP install? Then again, if it won't read the file that might not be the wisest move. If you can't find the file while reading the CD what makes you think a clone image of the broken XP disc will work? You'll have to obtain an image from somewhere and re-burn.

kev13dd
10-17-06, 04:40 PM
I would just do a clean install. Why bother running that new hardware on a gunked up XP install? Then again, if it won't read the file that might not be the wisest move. If you can't find the file while reading the CD what makes you think a clone image of the broken XP disc will work? You'll have to obtain an image from somewhere and re-burn.
My logic was if my software to copy the XP disc could read all the files and copy them without a glitch, then obviously the disk wasn't corrupt. And just in case it was just the XP install that was having a hard time reading it, it could now have a scratch free disk to try. But the disc didn't end up being the problem, and I dunno what was

I don't want to do a clean install because I'm on college internet and they limit my downloads. It would take so long to redownload CS:S since I bought it on Steam, and I left most of my game discs (I confess, I use no-cd cracks) at home. So if I did a fresh install, I would have lightening fast everything... but no games

-Kevin

J-Mag
10-17-06, 05:01 PM
well you could try a clean install on another partition or physical disk (although I am not sure how many games will still run because if there are needed reg entries or system files...)

JohnEJohn
10-18-06, 05:38 PM
This is usually bad media, if you have cloned a bad disc (rare) you will prob end up with a bad cloned disc, as suggested try installing to another partition or drive.

Other problems that have caused this in the past for me have been

1., Faulty optical drive
2., Bad Memory
3., Too high overclock or memory timings
4., Faulty IDE cable
5., HDD fault.

But yeah I would go for a full reinstall, then when you have drivers etc clone the drive. the benefits will be noticeable.

kev13dd
10-18-06, 06:24 PM
So I decided to power through it. I just told it to skip every file that it couldn't read. Including files like EXLPORER.EXE

And it worked! Unfortunatly my STUPID college wouldn't let me online to download the service packs (cause if you don't have the services packs you can't access internet. If you don't have internet you can't access service packs...) so my friend gave me his copy of Windows XP with SP2

And when I did a reinstall with that, the brand new clean disk, I STILL got the stupid "cannot find files" issue. And I powered through, and everything is now running lightening fast with my new processor and ram. Nothing has crashed, all games work, all software works, so I can't have a hardware issue... Microsoft... gah

-Kevin