PDA

View Full Version : Games For Windows: The Official Magazine

Pages : [1] 2

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 12:50 AM
Well this is very interesting IMO. Computer Gaming World magazine has changed there name after 25 years. The magazine will now be known as Games For Windows: The Official Magazine.:captnkill:

Personally I really love how Microsoft is securing PC Gaming as it's own seperate platform. Just check out a retail box of Company of Heroes. The logo looks sweet.:D

Here's a scan from the inside of this months issue that I received today:

http://imageigloo.com/images/8161Games for Windows.jpg
:tiki:

Bearclaw
10-17-06, 12:52 AM
Ya, FSX has the logo too. I think it is realy cool.

Microsoft should of done this a long time ago hah.

stncttr908
10-17-06, 12:53 AM
Kinda like the "Only on Xbox" sticker.

"Doesn't run on fruit" maybe?

I'm too tired to be funny.

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 12:55 AM
It has felt like PC Gaming have been on the rise in many ways. I predict this will only increase with the new GPU's and Vista.:D

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 12:56 AM
never heard of this magazine, is it in USA too?

currently i got PCGamer, but they seem to be lacking latelly, since that moron greg took over.

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 01:00 AM
never heard of this magazine, is it in USA too?

currently i got PCGamer, but they seem to be lacking latelly, since that moron greg took over.

Yep Computer Gaming World has been a huge magazine IMO. It is an exclusive PC Gaming magazine in the staes although it may be other places. I will have to post pics of my first issue of Games For Windows: The Official Magazine.

:captnkill: Hey I will have the very first issue....maybe I should start a collection.(nana2)

crainger
10-17-06, 01:04 AM
Cool. I wonder if Australia will get its own Games for Windows Mag. Maybe PCPowerplay will get a name change?

There sure are some weird rumors circulating about these "Games for Windows" For example, my friend wanted to watch me install and play CoH. The reason: He heard it ran from the DVD like a console...

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 01:05 AM
i don't want my games to run from dvd, thats would be just slow

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 01:20 AM
Cool. I wonder if Australia will get its own Games for Windows Mag. Maybe PCPowerplay will get a name change?

There sure are some weird rumors circulating about these "Games for Windows" For example, my friend wanted to watch me install and play CoH. The reason: He heard it ran from the DVD like a console...

I think that is actually something they plan on integrating into Vista at some point.:D

Edge
10-17-06, 01:25 AM
Guess they won't be covering Quake Wars then...

jAkUp
10-17-06, 01:26 AM
Yea Microsoft says that they want to make streaming content from DVD, however, I don't think that will ever happen. Why? When you can put it on the HD and it is oddles faster.

I still get PCGamer and I like it, I may try GfW though :)

SH64
10-17-06, 01:27 AM
I think that is actually something they plan on integrating into Vista at some point.:D
Well that sucks :thumbdwn: .. why do we have HDDs then ?? or you know what ? lets turn it to a console & be done with it.

anticitizenzero
10-17-06, 01:28 AM
There podcast is awesome, you can get it off 1up.com, the editor jeff green is hilarious.

Edge
10-17-06, 01:28 AM
Yea Microsoft says that they want to make streaming content from DVD, however, I don't think that will ever happen. Why? When you can put it on the HD and it is oddles faster.
I think the idea is that it loads essential data from the DVD first and then installs it in the background while you play through what's already loaded, sort of like how some Xbox games cache data in the background while you play and from that point on load it on the harddrive. I think it's kinda pointless though, seems like a lot of work just to get rid of an installation time.

jAkUp
10-17-06, 01:29 AM
Well that sucks :thumbdwn: .. why do we have HDDs then ?? or you know what ? lets turn it to a console & be done with it.

Yea, don't expect it to actually happen.

Really, I can only see this being useful on the games for kids.

jAkUp
10-17-06, 01:31 AM
I think the idea is that it loads essential data from the DVD first and then installs it in the background while you play through what's already loaded, sort of like how some Xbox games cache data in the background while you play and from that point on load it on the harddrive. I think it's kinda pointless though, seems like a lot of work just to get rid of an installation time.

That seems even more useless..lol what does it take to install a game? 4 minutes?

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 01:33 AM
:tiki:
http://imageigloo.com/images/7184Rebooted.jpg

Bearclaw
10-17-06, 01:39 AM
It has felt like PC Gaming have been on the rise in many ways. I predict this will only increase with the new GPU's and Vista.:D
Same here. I can't wait for the G80 cards and vista. Although I just foudn out tha Splinter Cell Double Agent will only be playable on XP..talk about a bummer..

jAkUp
10-17-06, 01:40 AM
Same here. I can't wait for the G80 cards and vista. Although I just foudn out tha Splinter Cell Double Agent will only be playable on XP..talk about a bummer..

Where did you hear that?

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 02:02 AM

Are you sure it's just not DX10 compatible because Vista obviously still does DX9.

SH64
10-17-06, 02:05 AM
Where did you hear that?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1028339&postcount=32

K007
10-17-06, 02:47 AM

I am sure it will run fine. You cant say it supports Vista..when the OS isen't even out..maybe thats why it says not Vista..because some people will try it on a RC or a beta Vista and say OMFG it wont work/etc/etc

a12ctic
10-17-06, 08:19 AM
this is total bull****, ive been a subscriber for about 8 years now, and I dont want baised bull crap from microshaft. Ill probobly be cancling within the next few weeks.

crainger
10-17-06, 08:36 AM
this is total bull****, ive been a subscriber for about 8 years now, and I dont want baised bull crap from microshaft. Ill probobly be cancling within the next few weeks.

:rofl

Who needs Teh Bigman?

anticitizenzero
10-17-06, 08:40 AM

Did you even read the letter in the scan above.