PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2142 Spyware Infested?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SH64
10-17-06, 12:56 AM
Just when you though it wont get any worse ..

Battlefield 2142 is starting to show up in stores left and right, and some early birds who managed to get their hands on a retail copy. Inside the box a slip of paper warns people that BF2142 will install monitoring software which reports "anonymous" information, such as IP and surfing habits, back to advertising companies in order to generates in-game ads.
http://www.worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=37926

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 01:08 AM
HAHA!!!

oh yaeh, this will certainly make me buy the game

Roadhog
10-17-06, 01:10 AM
you've got to be kidding me? this is total bull****!

I was going to buy this game.. But now it looks like I wont be. Leave it to EA.

Edge
10-17-06, 01:30 AM
Wow...so their games install spyware...paying money for cheat codes...where are those people that said EA wasn't really that bad?

nVidi0t
10-17-06, 01:44 AM
Yep, I also just heard about how BF2142 has thousands of cheaters already due to the complete lack of ANY anti cheat software.

GG.

Tikiman44
10-17-06, 01:50 AM
(crazy)EA

Rakeesh
10-17-06, 02:35 AM
LOL thats rich. I played BF1942 but haven't played any of the other ones. Don't think I want to as it sounds annoying with as many bugs as it has. Nothing is more annoying than a game that is full of bugs (e.g. valves games.) And now it includes spyware? Wow.

K007
10-17-06, 02:35 AM
rofl worthless game going even more down hill.

agentkay
10-17-06, 04:24 AM
Well to their excuse others have done it before as well. Codemasters has been selling cheat codes for their racing games for a long time and always had expensive support hotlines. Valveīs Steam is collecting plenty of data as well and I doubt itīs all anonymous. EA just combines all these shady services but that of course doesnīt make it right. Iīm just glad it came out.

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 07:30 AM
but it just makes no sence

year is 2142, and what kind of ads will you see.

bilboards that will say buy the brand new 2007 Mustang?

or

Drink Pepsi?

Scunner
10-17-06, 08:55 AM
but it just makes no sence

year is 2142, and what kind of ads will you see.

bilboards that will say buy the brand new 2007 Mustang?

:retard: Banner ads within the game menu, not "in game". :retard:

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 09:56 AM
i didn't click on the link

all i saw

"in order to generates in-game ads. "

Becoming
10-17-06, 09:56 AM
:retard: Banner ads within the game menu, not "in game". :retard:

Electronic Arts announced today that it had signed agreements with Massive, Inc. and IGA Worldwide, Inc. to provide in-game dynamic advertising for upcoming PC and Xbox 360 titles.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/729/729661p1.html

That sure sounds like "in-game' to me.

Oh and looky here, in-game placeholder billboards.

http://www.ggl.com/news.php?NewsId=4040

:retard:

K007
10-17-06, 10:41 AM
Who is gonna pay for advertising..i mean really..if we are paying for the dam game then how about a non advertising thing..wasted bandwidth on a game that has enuf problems with server to client connection related problems.

QW ftw

$n][pErMan
10-17-06, 10:55 AM
I said after BF2 I would never buy anotherPOS EA game and that will always hold true. Never tried the POS demo and will never buy the POS game (which is really just a mod IMO).

|MaguS|
10-17-06, 11:06 AM
Wow, I can't even defend EA now... This is ****ed up. Why couldn't they just do ingame ads without the spyware... what ****tards. Planetside and Anarchy Online do it so well...

fugu_fish
10-17-06, 11:34 AM
Just when you though it wont get any worse ..

http://www.worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=37926

Well, that seals my decision (and hopefully other fence-sitters) about buying the game. The hubris of EA to include spyware. The in-game ads were controversial enough. I hope this game goes down in flames. I still play the demo occasionally and at best it is an uninspired money grubbing mod.

It's so sad. It could have been awesome had they chosen to add some originality to it.

Namrok
10-17-06, 11:34 AM
Wow, I can't even defend EA now...

:thumbsup:

Stoneyguy
10-17-06, 11:48 AM
Wow, I can't even defend EA now... This is ****ed up. Why couldn't they just do ingame ads without the spyware... what ****tards. Planetside and Anarchy Online do it so well...

I agree. It's not like it takes spyware to figure out what an online gamer likes.

..... that being said, I still can't wait to play it. (pirate)

anticitizenzero
10-17-06, 11:52 AM
Not only that, but I guess you see ads for like 2007 Dodge Rams in a game that supposed to take place 2142. Considering how fast this was rushed, this is classic EA milking a franchise till its run into the ground.

Mr. Hunt
10-17-06, 12:11 PM
But worry not! For 5 dollars (per billboard, per map, per game, per server) you can REMOVE THESE BILLBOARDS!

stncttr908
10-17-06, 12:48 PM
You know what? It's still going to sell. And even if it doesn't, the revenues will be made up by The Sims 2 Pets or some other crap.

candle_86
10-17-06, 01:24 PM
Well to their excuse others have done it before as well. Codemasters has been selling cheat codes for their racing games for a long time and always had expensive support hotlines. Valveīs Steam is collecting plenty of data as well and I doubt itīs all anonymous. EA just combines all these shady services but that of course doesnīt make it right. Iīm just glad it came out.

the steam thing is a rumor, I have steam on 24/7 and i have bandwith moniter on, there is no bandwith being used by steam unless i start using the program to open a game or browse the client's online store. I never understood ppls problem with Steam, it doesnt hog resources, it doesnt cheat you in anyway. I helps valve stop piracy, and it makes alot of sense. I dont have to install the game then download the patch, i can just download the whole thing and save hassle.

snowmanwithahat
10-17-06, 01:45 PM
the steam thing is a rumor, I have steam on 24/7 and i have bandwith moniter on, there is no bandwith being used by steam unless i start using the program to open a game or browse the client's online store. I never understood ppls problem with Steam, it doesnt hog resources, it doesnt cheat you in anyway. I helps valve stop piracy, and it makes alot of sense. I dont have to install the game then download the patch, i can just download the whole thing and save hassle.

steam does infact hog resources, i've used it on tons of computers, and every single one that i've tried it eats up 50mb when not even running a game (but only after i have played a game) AND sometimes it has a bug where it'll use like 50% of my cpu power just doing random stuff, i don't know what, but i have to restart my computer or ctrl+alt+dlt it get it to stop

Namrok
10-17-06, 02:17 PM
Bwahahahah. They are already rolling out patches for BF2142. So sad, so sad.

Battlefield 2142 Patch (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=71976)