PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5W does cold shutdowns while playing games.

Pages : [1] 2

haloeighty8
10-17-06, 02:22 AM
Well all I'm a little stumped here.. and thought I'd bring it over to the "masters" at NV to see if any of you had any suggestions. :) Now, I'm a long time lurker.. occasional poster, usually go with NV hardware but wanted to mix it up a bit and see how this worked out. So anyways, I'm running a xfire x1950 setup atm.. and while it's a bit on the flakey side, meaning it doesn't always enable. Need to reboot to get it going at times.. 'screen flicker madness!!' when all does go well I'm able to play a game for like 3 min. and then boom.. complete shutdown!. No warning nada!!! I'm running at 3.5ghz currently and whether I back down to stock I still seem to get the same problem. Now, I'm seriously considering ditching this p5w and trying out a abit aw9d-max.. but I thought I'd see if you any of you have any advice? Before I yank this one out.. Please any suggestions.. Thanks!!!

Muppet
10-17-06, 02:55 AM
I've been having the same problems with mine, i ran Memtest and got a hell of a lot of Memory errors. So i'm thinking it's my Ram.

haloeighty8
10-17-06, 03:19 AM
sh*t.. for what I paid for the ram I hope it's not!! funny thing is.. I can run prime95.. and whatever else i throw at it with no problems. it's only when I play games?!

haloeighty8
10-17-06, 03:47 AM
btw, can anyone please point me to the latest version of pc probe 2? I can't find it anywhere on Asus's site. when I try to install the version that I got on CD.. it just goes whacky!. So I assume it's a old version..

Muppet
10-17-06, 05:10 AM
I'm using the same kind of Memory as you. Hmmm
What voltage are you running at 2.2 or 2.4. Maybe there is a compatability problem with this board and Dominator Ram. Also what bios version are you using.
I be interested if you tried to run Memtest and got back to me to see if you get any errors

haloeighty8
10-17-06, 05:31 AM
I'm using the same kind of Memory as you. Hmmm
What voltage are you running at 2.2 or 2.4. Maybe there is a compatability problem with this board and Dominator Ram. Also what bios version are you using.
I be interested if you tried to run Memtest and got back to me to see if you get any errors

Well I just did a little goofing around.. and it looks like whenever I try to push over 3.5ghz (325x11) is when I start getting errors like crazy. I'm running at 2.4 as suggested. I'm starting to wonder that myself.. as far as compatibility goes, I've asked in the corsair forums let's see if 'ram guy' responds. For testing I'm using Memtest pro & prime95. I've either hit the wall with this cpu or I need to kick up the voltage some more?! dunno..

Muppet
10-17-06, 05:48 AM
http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=53332

Very interesting, seems like we aren't the only ones.

Muppet
10-17-06, 02:17 PM
haloeighty8
Damn nice system you got there, I hope you can fix this problem.
Maybe increase the MCH voltage a bit...
I also read the same thing, i to will give that a shot.

Muppet
10-17-06, 02:19 PM
Out of interest... I've been told it's not always a good idea to power all your case fans (and other fans) from a motherboard connector... Molex connectors from the PSU instead, can be a good idea.
I tried that as well as unplug everything except hard drives and it made no difference. But thanks for the imput :)

haloeighty8
10-17-06, 09:49 PM
haloeighty8
Damn nice system you got there, I hope you can fix this problem.
Maybe increase the MCH voltage a bit...

Thanks slaWter! I'll try to bump up the MCH and see how that goes.

Muppet
10-17-06, 10:09 PM
Thanks slaWter! I'll try to bump up the MCH and see how that goes.
I just tried it, didn't work for me. By the way what bios version are you using. I was using 1407(the latest) but i've gone back to 1101 and am trying that

Zelda_fan
10-17-06, 10:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet that your GPU is overheating. GPU cooling is something that drastically needs improvement in just about every system. Run 3DMark and check the GPU temps immediatly after.

Muppet
10-18-06, 02:28 AM
I did a search on the net about this seeing as i exhausted about every option i can think of. Seems a very common problem with this board. I tried every setting and different combinations and every bios version from 801. So i downclocked the Memory speed to DDR2 800 and it's stable now. I think we will need Asus to make a new Bios to fix the problem.

Zelda_fan
10-18-06, 02:31 AM
did you check the system temps after running a 3dmark loop?

I know no one likes to admit their system has a heat problem, but with the high power hardware, it's becomming more and more common these days.

Muppet
10-18-06, 02:39 AM
did you check the system temps after running a 3dmark loop?

I know no one likes to admit their system has a heat problem, but with the high power hardware, it's becomming more and more common these days.
Yeah that's running nice and cool, Idles at 40degrees and goes up to 60 under load. It's stable now though after dropping the Ram speed down. From what i have learnt the Intel chipset doesn't officially support DDR2 1066 speeds.

Zelda_fan
10-18-06, 12:31 PM
Yeah that's running nice and cool, Idles at 40degrees and goes up to 60 under load. It's stable now though after dropping the Ram speed down. From what i have learnt the Intel chipset doesn't officially support DDR2 1066 speeds.

is that the CPU or the GPU temps?

Muppet
10-18-06, 11:38 PM
is that the CPU or the GPU temps?
That's the GPU temps. The CPU idles @ 20 degrees stock settings and 25 @3.8. But i've got watercooling.

Muppet
10-18-06, 11:41 PM
I was chating with a Corsair Rep and he said the Intel 775 Cipset doesn't support memory running at 1066mhz. So no boards at this time in the Intel range will do it, be it the Abit or the DFI. We are out of luck at this time which sucks. I could have saved a fair bit of money and just bought some DDR2 800 Ram :thumbdwn:

haloeighty8
10-19-06, 05:59 AM
I was chating with a Corsair Rep and he said the Intel 775 Cipset doesn't support memory running at 1066mhz. So no boards at this time in the Intel range will do it, be it the Abit or the DFI. We are out of luck at this time which sucks. I could have saved a fair bit of money and just bought some DDR2 800 Ram :thumbdwn:

It appears that way Muppet.. well it's not to late for me to RMA this ram. I'm going to take a restock fee, but ah well.. on a sidenote I played BF 2142 at anything above ddr 800.. and I get the shutdowns. Set it back to DDR 800.. and it plays fine. I'm probably still going to swap out motherboards though as dont care for the EZ raid junk on the asus, I'm having to run a external raid at the moment because of it, using that jmicron controller. It looks like the abit doesn't work like that.

nekrosoft13
10-19-06, 07:22 AM

there is no 775 chipset

nekrosoft13
10-19-06, 07:23 AM
It appears that way Muppet.. well it's not to late for me to RMA this ram. I'm going to take a restock fee, but ah well.. on a sidenote I played BF 2142 at anything above ddr 800.. and I get the shutdowns. Set it back to DDR 800.. and it plays fine. I'm probably still going to swap out motherboards though as dont care for the EZ raid junk on the asus, I'm having to run a external raid at the moment because of it, using that jmicron controller. It looks like the abit doesn't work like that.

abit of topic, but who is this?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?u=34896&dateline=1104378996

haloeighty8
10-19-06, 07:02 PM
there is no 775 chipset

He meant the 975.. ;)

haloeighty8
10-19-06, 07:04 PM
abit of topic, but who is this?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?u=34896&dateline=1104378996

Vida Guerra

http://www.vidasworld.com/

crainger
10-19-06, 09:48 PM
Vida Guerra

http://www.vidasworld.com/

2nd best ass in the world.

Muppet
10-19-06, 11:16 PM
He meant the 975.. ;)
Yeah sorry i did mean 975. But yeah so we are **** outta luck running our Memory at 1 to 1. Hopefully the new nforce680 will fix this problem and support 1066 Ram.