PDA

View Full Version : Gothic 3 copy protection woes

Zandig
10-17-06, 12:14 PM
Word has it that alot of the performance issues and glitches people are having with this game is caused by the copy protections (Tages and Extreme). It is checking the Dvd before and after each save and load and also numerous times during the game. When the dvd starts to spin up it is causing lag in the game to check for the protection.

I have the UK version sitting here but did not install it yet. I'm waiting for the next patch before I install it.

Also some say the USA version will use SecureRom but I can't find any definite info about that.

BioHazZarD
10-17-06, 12:27 PM
Damn i hope this is not true this is very bad at consumers who buy the damn game.. no wonder the game piracy is that high when we have this bitch ass protections.

raystorm
10-17-06, 12:32 PM
Tages and Extreme??? Its using two copy protection methods??? I never heard of Tages and Extreme..I guess those aren't used in US pc games??

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 12:34 PM
Tages is used in USA, its one protection that there is on way of making 1:1 backups

Zandig
10-17-06, 12:37 PM
Yes apparently it is using two protections and is causing head-aches for alot of people who bought the game. Why am I not surprised?!

More info:
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=125321
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=124779

agentkay
10-17-06, 12:39 PM
It is using Tages and Securom which was altered/customized by Jowood (called X-Prot or something). Still better than that Starforce crap that Jowood used before.

When you make an image of the DVD in VirtualCD (v8004), you can mount it (into the "physical drive") and play the game that way.

anticitizenzero
10-17-06, 01:18 PM
If your worried about the copy protection messing with ****, dl the crack off usenet. save the flames, i'm not avocating piracy.

Q
10-17-06, 02:10 PM
If your worried about the copy protection messing with ****, dl the crack off usenet. save the flames, i'm not avocating piracy.

See...this is what I hate. (Not what you said :p )

Pirates always have the benefit when it comes to gaming. Not only do they not have to use CDs (which is a hassle if you have more than two or three games that you play regulalry), but they get to avoid these lame ass copy protection issues. Starforce has blue screened my machine for Xtreme Rally and an older game whos title I forget WAY too many times. Some Starforce games are OK, like Splinter Cell, but the BSOD's always list starforce drivers as the cause.

No-CD cracks are fine with me, especially when they let you play a game that you paid for the way it should be played.

US and international copy protections differ greatly. Sometimes we get Starforce and EU gets Securom....other times vice versa...I guess it all depends on the publisher.

SH64
10-17-06, 02:38 PM
Damn that sucks :thumbdwn:

Skinner
10-17-06, 02:51 PM
The DVD-drive spins up three times before I can finally play the game. It takes 1,5-2 minutes from first start to get in the game. And that's with a 15K SCSI drive...
Apart this this, the game has no AA yet, and it's impossible to force it from CP. Crossfire does nothing too, which was expected, but AFR does also almost nothing.
This game is king in weasting computing power.

The good thing is, the game has a lot of potential, but it's still a rough daimond.

K007
10-18-06, 12:44 AM
woah game is out?

Zelda_fan
10-18-06, 12:50 AM
See...this is what I hate. (Not what you said :p )

Pirates always have the benefit when it comes to gaming. Not only do they not have to use CDs (which is a hassle if you have more than two or three games that you play regulalry), but they get to avoid these lame ass copy protection issues. Starforce has blue screened my machine for Xtreme Rally and an older game whos title I forget WAY too many times. Some Starforce games are OK, like Splinter Cell, but the BSOD's always list starforce drivers as the cause.

No-CD cracks are fine with me, especially when they let you play a game that you paid for the way it should be played.

US and international copy protections differ greatly. Sometimes we get Starforce and EU gets Securom....other times vice versa...I guess it all depends on the publisher.

The problem with priacy is that you really don't know what you're installing on your computer. A "crack" could very well have a virus inside it. I don't have a problem with people useing cracks if they bought the game, but I personally will never use them becasue I don't want a virus installed on my computer by mistake.

CaptNKILL
10-18-06, 01:03 AM
The problem with priacy is that you really don't know what you're installing on your computer. A "crack" could very well have a virus inside it. I don't have a problem with people useing cracks if they bought the game, but I personally will never use them becasue I don't want a virus installed on my computer by mistake.
If you get them from "reputable" crack sites you dont get viruses. I cant say I've ever even heard of anyone getting a virus that way, and I know I havent myself.

If you get on a filesharing program and download all of the 32kb "game cracks", yeah you'll probably get something that way.

Most cracks are done by the same groups of crackers and they wouldnt put viruses in their files because then no one would support them (that and they have no reason to do it). With things like Starforce out there, you're less likely to have problems with your system or the game using a third party, garage programmed crack file than you are running the game on a clean install. I find that scary.

I've been using cracks on my games since I've had a hard drive big enough to hold everything without needing a CD. All of my game CDs are still in tact thanks to that. :)

SLippe
10-18-06, 02:03 AM
I've never had a virus from a no-cd patch, but then again, I don't d/l those from peer-to-peer/bittorrent sites either. Lately, I find myself using mini-images. For one, you can update the game with no problem and not have to worry about the correct version no-cd patch. I have 4 virtual CD/DVD drives using DaemonTools. I get my no-cd patches and mini-images from... hint: a WORLD of GAME COPY (pirate)

K007
10-18-06, 02:12 AM

Only time you get a virus is if you download these 'cracks' from stupid places like kazza/limewire/etc where the file size is arround 350kb.

Other than those places there are many big sites that have forums/etc with cracks from all kinds of groups that are legit..infact i haven't had a virus/problem from a no-cd/fixed iso/fixed .exe file for...almost eva..come to think of it i haven't had any of the cracks backfire on me.(pirate)

Like i said before..if your stupid enuf to download from wrong places..then you probably shouldn't even bother trying to get cracks.

Everygame ive installed i just use either nocd or mini iso..which eva makes things easy..hate having to go through discs.

mini-images are really sweet..can play online/update/etc..maybe game company's can support this idea and come up with something like this.

TheManko
10-18-06, 02:35 AM
The time it takes for the copy protection to scan the disc isn't any longer than other games here, so I'll live with it.

nrdstrm
10-18-06, 03:25 AM
I've never had a virus from a no-cd patch, but then again, I don't d/l those from peer-to-peer/bittorrent sites either. Lately, I find myself using mini-images. For one, you can update the game with no problem and not have to worry about the correct version no-cd patch. I have 4 virtual CD/DVD drives using DaemonTools. I get my no-cd patches and mini-images from... hint: a WORLD of GAME COPY (pirate)

I have a big issue with you advocating grabbing files from "World of Game Copy (pirate)". While I agree that it is ok to some times use no cd cracks (ut2k4 actually asked you too if I'm not mistaken)...But to provide people a way to copy/download games is not good on these forums. We do not facilitate pirating here, and while I know about your "world of game copy", others might not...You are actually LEADING people into pirating games, wich is not benificial for these forums...I am not speaking for mods/admins, and am not an official part of NVNEWS...I just think that these are dark waters to tread in on an up and up site...

Zelda_fan
10-18-06, 03:41 AM
If you get them from "reputable" crack sites you dont get viruses. I cant say I've ever even heard of anyone getting a virus that way, and I know I havent myself.

If you get on a filesharing program and download all of the 32kb "game cracks", yeah you'll probably get something that way.

Most cracks are done by the same groups of crackers and they wouldnt put viruses in their files because then no one would support them (that and they have no reason to do it). With things like Starforce out there, you're less likely to have problems with your system or the game using a third party, garage programmed crack file than you are running the game on a clean install. I find that scary.

I've been using cracks on my games since I've had a hard drive big enough to hold everything without needing a CD. All of my game CDs are still in tact thanks to that. :)

I don't think I've ever had a retail CD fail on me.

Here is the thing. I do not care about the extra 2 seconds it takes to read the "copy protection" at the game's startup.

However, if the game is constantly searching the disc due to copy protection, then I might consider a crack, but otherwise, I just don't want to deal with the hassel.

Oh and most patching systems won't install over a crack.

BioHazZarD
10-18-06, 04:28 AM

Yeah there are sites that dupe game releases real quick so if a virus indeed was in a exe nobody would download it anyway with common sense.

This discussion does not belong here but i can say that over the 5 years i never heard or got an virus in a games cracked exe.. there.

EvilEye
10-18-06, 05:21 AM
Looks like tse germans have a thing for sneaky protections... At least Relic/THQ have come to their senses and released new games without copy protection, which probably means lower price tag because of lowered licensing costs.

K007
10-18-06, 06:09 AM
I don't think I've ever had a retail CD fail on me.

Here is the thing. I do not care about the extra 2 seconds it takes to read the "copy protection" at the game's startup.

However, if the game is constantly searching the disc due to copy protection, then I might consider a crack, but otherwise, I just don't want to deal with the hassel.

Oh and most patching systems won't install over a crack.

Erm..thats why u make a copy of the original .exe...cntrl+c+v..or use a mini image which is pretty popular now and if you use a mini image you dont have to worry about any of the exe as it is just like the cd being in ure drive. Less CD Cases on your desk -.-

TheManko
10-18-06, 09:09 AM
I would be surprised if the copy protection in Gothic 3 was a major cause for slowdown. It's the constant world loading that's slowing things down most. Like I said, this copy protection hasn't been any different than any other in my experience. It takes 5-10 seconds extra to start the game, but after that I haven't noticed the drive spinning up during the game or anything. While protections that are intrusive, like Starforce, are BAD it's still understandable that publishers try to use new methods for making people buy the game and not just download, play, delete. For this game I support their efforts, because I want this game to sell well! The world needs more games that aren't cookie-cutter fps, rts or racing games.