PDA

View Full Version : 7950 GX2 cant enable Multi GPU,on DFI nf4 UT Ultra D?

Tez
10-17-06, 11:53 AM
Im totaly stuck here.

I cant enable Multi GPU as theres nothink in settings to enable it.

It should be where the tempreture monitor is but it isnt. Iv got coutless messages saying cant enable multi GPU every time I start pc, it restarts the pc.

I have latest Bios and latest drivers. tryed beta and forceware.

Can somone please help I feel at a loss here.

rewt
10-17-06, 12:37 PM
Is your mobo set up for SLi?

If so, the program (NVTray) in my sig allows you to access the Multi-gpu applet with GX2. With this, you can make sure SLi and/or SLi Graph is active.

It's accessible under the Hardware menu > Multi-GPU Applet

You will need Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 before installing it. You should already have this installed, if you've gotten all your Windows updates. If not, links are on my webpage.

Hope it helps :)

Tez
10-17-06, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Im getting this message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Graphics card features NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface (SLI)

Add a second graphics card with SLI technology for significant improovments in rendering perfromance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

rewt
10-17-06, 01:04 PM
GX2 is already two cards in SLI. If you add a second one, it would be Quad-SLI.

Tez
10-17-06, 02:09 PM
Basicly its seing as this card being one card only. I dont know weather its a motherboard prob or a graphics software or hardware problem.

I would imagine that this is the message yur get if you have a 7900 gtx or somthink.

rewt
10-17-06, 03:00 PM
Is the SLI Modes menu in NVTray enabled, or is it greyed out? Did you try and enable SLI yet with the Multi-GPU applet?

It should be where the tempreture monitor is but it isnt.

Others have stated that it doesn't show up with a single GX2. Once they used NVTray, all is well again.

Tez
10-17-06, 04:13 PM
It dont show nothink to enable multi gpu at all.

What I did do was put the card in PCIx slot one and I could then sellect muli gpu but theres no way on eath I can leave it there.

The location of the card covers right over the chipset fan so its got a nice direct feed of extreemly hot air. Im getting 50c idle with case side off for my chipset temp with no over clocking the card or my pc.

If I find out that Nvidia has said that this motherboard is tested like this to show it as a compatable card im gona be well well on their case and will advice as many people as I can to not get this card, get a ATI X1950 xtx.

I realy would have thought my second slot could run this card?

stevemedes
10-17-06, 09:32 PM
I thought the Ultra-D is a non SLI motherboard.
Now i thought (and im probably wrong) that you need an SLI mobo to run the GX2?

fatal1ty
10-17-06, 11:16 PM
Im totaly stuck here.

I cant enable Multi GPU as theres nothink in settings to enable it.

It should be where the tempreture monitor is but it isnt. Iv got coutless messages saying cant enable multi GPU every time I start pc, it restarts the pc.

I have latest Bios and latest drivers. tryed beta and forceware.

Can somone please help I feel at a loss here.

The whole SLI of a single GX2 is transparent to the OS and motherboard. Technically it's not multi SLI till you add another GX2.

Tez
10-18-06, 02:28 AM
fatal1ty I see you have my Mobo and GX2 how have you got yours setup?

Iv had to put my GX2 on slot 2 at 8x.

The problem I had initialy was on my manual and box it says both my PCIe slots are 16x but only 1 of them runs at 16x that being the first slot which I cant use. The second slot only runs at 2x so it wouldnt alow the 2ng gpu to be found. I had to move the motherboard jumpers so it was in sli mode for both PCIe slots to be at 8x, then it worked.

Im getting 6546 for 3Dmark 2006 and 12672 for 2005.

CaptNKILL
10-18-06, 02:36 AM
The whole SLI of a single GX2 is transparent to the OS and motherboard. Technically it's not multi SLI till you add another GX2.
No, it isnt transparent. I still have to screw with SLI settings and I can enable load balancing. If it were transparent, itd be a much more effective setup. :p

rewt
10-18-06, 09:46 AM
I had to move the motherboard jumpers so it was in sli mode for both PCIe slots to be at 8x, then it worked.

That's precisely what I meant when I asked,

Is your mobo set up for SLi?

Perhaps I should've elaborated more on that. I don't personally own the DFI board though.

Dr.Nick
10-18-06, 10:48 AM
You dont need to set the Ultra D in dual graphics mode(8x8x) for a GX2 to work. If you have the latest bios installed you dont need to touch anything; it will pick up the card just fine in any of the two slots@16x or 8x). I say try the card in another system to make sure it works

Edit- Make sure all 4 power connects are hooked up. There are two right above the top pcie slot

yehuda
10-18-06, 12:53 PM
No, it isnt transparent. I still have to screw with SLI settings and I can enable load balancing. If it were transparent, itd be a much more effect setup. :p

And windows shows two cards and installs the drivers twice, once for each card (just install a non-whql driver and you'll get the warning twice).

Blasphemer
10-18-06, 01:29 PM
If you're hitting over 12k in '05 then its working, your 6000+ score in '06 may be down to your CPU as dual core helps in '06.

Tez
10-18-06, 03:18 PM
You dont need to set the Ultra D in dual graphics mode(8x8x) for a GX2 to work. If you have the latest bios installed you dont need to touch anything; it will pick up the card just fine in any of the two slots@16x or 8x). I say try the card in another system to make sure it works

Edit- Make sure all 4 power connects are hooked up. There are two right above the top pcie slot

In my mobo the top slot is 16x and the bottom one is 2x. The card didnt pick up because it was in the 2x slot. I had to run the mobo in sli mode to get 8x on bottom slot. I cant run the card in top slot as it totaly covers my chipset fan. Iv gota put back on my chipset block as the cipset it getting well hot.

When you say all 4 power connects, what do you mean?

fatal1ty
10-18-06, 05:41 PM
In my mobo the top slot is 16x and the bottom one is 2x. The card didnt pick up because it was in the 2x slot. I had to run the mobo in sli mode to get 8x on bottom slot. I cant run the card in top slot as it totaly covers my chipset fan. Iv gota put back on my chipset block as the cipset it getting well hot.

Im running mine in slot 1, let it cover the chipset fan. No biggie. Also, be sure to have that latest bios. I really dont have any problems other than a few games that dont yet have profiles for them, and user created ones dont work well. Everything else screams with this card!

Tez
10-19-06, 08:23 AM
The chipset would get way way to over heated if I left it in there.With my pc clocked up by +600mhz and case on side its would kill it.

Iv moved the card to slot at 8x im getting 12800+ in 3dmark 05 bu tonly 6k mark in in 2006?

I have my water block back on the chipset and its gone from 50c to 37c with the pc clocked up.

Dr.Nick
10-19-06, 10:03 AM

If you have a huge hsf on there that is understandable. However, if you ever want to run it at 16x(which is a little faster with the GX2) you can always use one of these; http://www.svc.com/vc-re.html They are very quiet and make a huge difference over stock

As for the power connection, I meant hooking up all the plugs the board uses to get power. There are four in total on the DFI; 24pin, 4pin, HD-type 4 pin, and a floppy-type connector. Make sure all are plugged in for best stability

Tez
10-19-06, 10:16 AM
Yea there is a HD-type 4 pin but never realy new what that was for to be honnest? A flopy type connector on the actual motherboard havent even seen that one on there?

Theres nothink in the manual to actualy say what power connections get pluged in? Iv just got the 4 pin and 24 pin in there.

Dr.Nick
10-19-06, 11:35 AM
You should plug in all four of them for best stability; DFI boards are very powerhungry. The floppy power connect is just to the left of the HD-type, pretty much on a straight line across. These two are used to supply extra power to the board and are needed for SLI. Its a good idea to use them all

fatal1ty
10-19-06, 01:50 PM
The chipset would get way way to over heated if I left it in there.With my pc clocked up by +600mhz and case on side its would kill it.

Iv moved the card to slot at 8x im getting 12800+ in 3dmark 05 bu tonly 6k mark in in 2006?

I have my water block back on the chipset and its gone from 50c to 37c with the pc clocked up.

Change the chipset cooler to something better.. I did. I've got a dual core chip and it's overclocked 1 Ghz :)

mike2h
10-19-06, 02:13 PM
i think the chipset cooler is limiting my system to. gonna add a block to my existing setup. just not sure if my single radiator can handle it & the d940 @4.0 ive got running in there. lots of heat from that puppy

Tez
10-19-06, 07:36 PM
Change the chipset cooler to something better.. I did. I've got a dual core chip and it's overclocked 1 Ghz :)

I have a Danger Den chipset block on there now I cant change it for anythink better TBH. Theres no chipset fan thats gona match a water block and if it even came close it would be very loud.

I personaly think a block or fan being coverered over by 2 GPUs giving insaine heat out will over heat the chipset. My GX2 is 64c right now idle.

Only soloution I can see is water cool the GX2 and get a alphacool NexXxos NB Sli-1which may just alow my GX2 to fit under the barbs so PCIe 16x slot 1 can be used.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/NexXxoS_NB-SLI1_01.jpg

http://www.coolercases.co.uk/images/danger_den/7950/7950_1.jpg