PDA

View Full Version : Temperature warning on my 6800 GT...

gallion311
10-17-06, 10:00 PM
Whats up guys, I work in a bunch of 3d apps, and whenever I'm doing something that works the card I get an nVidia Pop-up that says something along the lines of "The card is running at an unusually high temperature; we lowered the power to protect from damaging the card." The temp says it's something ridiculuous like 125 C...

The fan is running, although I cannot tell if it's flucuating in speed.

Is the problem likely my card, or the cooling situaion in my PC?

I was convinced I needed a new card, but after talking with some buddies I'm not sure...

I have a Geforce 6800 GT, PCI Express, btw...

Thanks

Greasy
10-17-06, 10:18 PM
Probably just need to vacuum off the dust. You would be amazed how much just a little dust cuts down on cooling capacity.

SLippe
10-18-06, 12:40 AM
Whats up guys, I work in a bunch of 3d apps, and whenever I'm doing something that works the card I get an nVidia Pop-up that says something along the lines of "The card is running at an unusually high temperature; we lowered the power to protect from damaging the card." The temp says it's something ridiculuous like 125 C...

The fan is running, although I cannot tell if it's flucuating in speed.

Is the problem likely my card, or the cooling situaion in my PC?

I was convinced I needed a new card, but after talking with some buddies I'm not sure...

I have a Geforce 6800 GT, PCI Express, btw...

Thanks
Do this;

1. Shutdown your PC and unplug the power cord.
2. Open your PC case, unscrew and remove your 6800GT. (Make sure to unplug power cord from graphics card.)
3. With a small phillips screwdriver, carefully remove the cover plate of the heatsink. (Most likely you'll find the heatsink full of dust around the fan.)
4. Carefully remove dust with vacuum or compressed air from a can or small compressor.
5. Replace cover plate.
6. Place 6800GT back into case. (Make sure to plug in the power cord to the graphics card.)
7. Replace side of case or case covering.
8. Plug in power cord and start up PC.

That should make a big difference! How is the air flow in your case? 6800GTs run a little warm anyways, so you might consider a Zalman VF900 or something similar.

Good luck.

john19055
10-18-06, 06:35 PM
125 degrees is to hot ,you might clean it up and take off the heatsink and clean the core and add some good thermal compound ,I always put articSilver5 on mine and it cools it down,but if it just started doing it ,your fan may be going bad ,it may be spinning but not at the speed it should,If it was mine I would just get a after market cooler ,like a Zalman VF 900Cu and that should cool it down ,I bought two for my 7900GT SS and the Zalmans cooled them down by a lot.They were running in the 90c on some games ,but after I put a Zalman VF 900Cu on them they never run no more then 55c with a load on them,plus they are quiet even at full speed.

LBJM
10-19-06, 05:57 PM
looks like it's time to build yourself a watercooling loop.

Q!Shambler!Q
10-21-06, 09:01 AM
My 6800 GT would always overheat playing Oblivion after about an hour or two. That game is really buggy anyway so I dont know whether the crashes and reboots were from overheating or the game itself. Also my case is really cheap and I dont think it helps spread the heat. But I have craploads of dust all in there. Someone said use a vacuum to clean it - do you mean like a minature vacuum of some kind? Seriously you wouldn't believe how much dust is in my machine. There is probably a spider living in there too somewhere.

exemplar
10-22-06, 11:00 PM
Did it just start doing this all of a sudden? Or is this a new computer, or new component you've added recently? Besides checking for operating status of the fan, and dust. I might tend to lean towards power issues.