PDA

View Full Version : Company of Heros or Age of Empires III?

sillyeagle
10-17-06, 10:37 PM
I havn't played any strategy games in a long time, I think Age of Empires II was the last time, but I am thinking of getting one of these two. Which should I go for?

EDIT: Oops, I thought I was in games.... Feel free to move.

ENU291
10-17-06, 10:39 PM
wrong forum I believe

CaptNKILL
10-17-06, 10:40 PM
Both are excellent games IMO.

AoE3 is a lot of fun. Its the only RTS game I've played all the way through twice. Very addicting game.

SH64
10-17-06, 10:42 PM
Thats simple .. CoH!

sillyeagle
10-17-06, 10:55 PM
wrong forum I believe

:o

SH64
10-17-06, 11:06 PM
Its late soooo .. :p

crainger
10-17-06, 11:38 PM
CoH FTW!

nrs421
10-18-06, 12:43 AM
aoeIII sucks!!! well it doesnt suck completely but i hate it

jAkUp
10-18-06, 12:44 AM
Company of heroes :D

arioch21
10-18-06, 01:01 AM
I like both but I would go with CoH, just offers alot of new elements to the rts gen, which is rare now days.

Tikiman44
10-18-06, 01:05 AM
CoH FTW!!!!

superklye
10-18-06, 01:09 AM
CoH is teh 4w350m3x0rz.

sillyeagle
10-18-06, 01:28 AM
Alright, well I was watching Saving Private Ryan and it got me into the WWII mood anyway, so looks like I'll be picking up COH.

If ti were not for that movie I doubt we would have any of our current WWII games. Its like the Source Book of WWII games.

Gaco
10-18-06, 06:15 AM
CoH hands down, no question about it!!

AoE3 is just your average, generic RTS game with no innovation at all. The game's best attribute is graphics, but CoH also excel here. If you're out for a typical RTS game and like the colonization of north america theme, then you should go for it. Demos of both AoE3 and CoH are out though, and you owe yourself to try CoH in that case.

What makes CoH so great is the successful totality of the game. Graphics and physics are nothing short of amazing. Sound is in indescribably crisp and real. Presentation is fantastic and the cutscenes makes you feel like you're there; plus the intro cutscenes throws you right into the Band of Brothers atmosphere. Gameplay is an evolutionary step for the genre too IMO. The game is not without faults but it's darn close.

Conclusion: Definently Company of Heroes ;)

nekrosoft13
10-18-06, 06:29 AM
i got AOEIII, after having good memories of AOEII.

but after playing AOEIII, i sold it, about week later, found the game extremely boring.

COH is much better

Stoneyguy
10-18-06, 06:43 AM
You might want to consider Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. It's similar to CoH (made by same team) and it's 20 bucks cheaper. The strong point for CoH is it's rich atmosphere. The strong point for Dark Crusade is that there are 7 different types of forces (CoH has 2) and the tech tree is far deeper. Dark Crusade also has a Risk style gameplay similar to what BFME II uses. I have both and both are exellent games.

Gaco
10-18-06, 10:31 AM
You might want to consider Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. It's similar to CoH (made by same team) and it's 20 bucks cheaper. The strong point for CoH is it's rich atmosphere. The strong point for Dark Crusade is that there are 7 different types of forces (CoH has 2) and the tech tree is far deeper. Dark Crusade also has a Risk style gameplay similar to what BFME II uses. I have both and both are exellent games.

Say isn't it an expansion pack? It's not standalone is it?

BTW you'll get Dawn of War + Winter Assault for free with the purchase CoH, which is normally priced - at least I did ;)

Stoneyguy
10-18-06, 10:43 AM
Dark Crusade is a stand alone. The only thing is that you have to have the original and Winter Assault to play those units online. So with Dark Crusade you can only play Necron or Tau online.

nekrosoft13
10-18-06, 10:47 AM
i preffer actually modern settings

i tried that dawn of war before, just not my type of game

i also like act of war, generals

Gaco
10-18-06, 11:08 AM
Dark Crusade is a stand alone. The only thing is that you have to have the original and Winter Assault to play those units online. So with Dark Crusade you can only play Necron or Tau online.

Ok.. well I'd say CoH anyways, especially if he finds the +DoW&WA deal ;)

Q
10-18-06, 11:10 AM
COH

Never played it, but its made by the DoW guys so I have faith in it. All the screenshots look a lot like DoW but with different character models and textures. (I just hope they worked out the "not so smooth scrolling during missions" bug in the engine)

AOE3 just seems very dated outside of the graphics. The gameplay is "meh" and the damn UI is WAY overbearing.

Gaco
10-18-06, 01:44 PM
I'm not having a smooth time scrolling, but I'm fairly sure that has something to do with my performance rather than the game code :(

sillyeagle
10-18-06, 04:40 PM
Do you guys think it will run ok on my system? From what I'm seeing in the feedback thread it looks like SLI does not work, so I'll be playing on a single 7800GT from what I see...

Stoneyguy
10-18-06, 05:09 PM
Do you guys think it will run ok on my system? From what I'm seeing in the feedback thread it looks like SLI does not work, so I'll be playing on a single 7800GT from what I see...

Should be just fine. I have a similar in power system and it runs great.

My system:

C2D 6400 @ 2.48
7800 GS AGP @ 490 clock and 1.42 memory
1 gig of DDR 333 @ 2.2.2.5

Mazztadawn
10-26-06, 10:58 AM
I own both games and I think COH is the better of the two. The intensity is great, really makes you feel in the battle.

Should run fine for you, I run it not quite max settings, 1280x1024 and it runs smooth on my 7800 gt. I'm not at my home PC but I think I just left the settings to what it auto detected and raised the resolution.