PDA

View Full Version : What FPS will I get?

tommy_knockers
10-18-06, 04:55 AM
Hello all and welcome (new n00bie :D).

I have a pc which I foolishly built a couple of months ago. Then I was even stupider and sold my Crossfire graphics in it 400 sterling. (X1900 Crossfire)

However I was then left without a pc :( except my old one).

I decided to bite the bullet the other day and buy a 7900GTO and I hope to overclock it.

However @ the same time I am getting sick and tired of my 15" TFT so I am looking @ the new Benq monitor (fullly hd). However I am not sure if it will play games at an acceptable frame rate. (the new monitor will be 24" 1920x1200).

What FPS will I be looking at with my rig @ this resolution. Is it to low. Any comments would be great but please dont mock my pc. I admit its ****:o

Pentium 4 651 3.4Ghz@4.0Ghz 2mb cache LGa 775. 65nm
2gb (2X1024mb) Samsung DDR2 Dual Channel 533Mhz
250Gb Maxtor Maxline III 16mb cache 7200rpm.
250Gb Maxtor Maxline III 16mb cache 7200rpm. (will put in raid soon)
Asrock xfireesata2+ motherboard.
2x Asus 16x DVD-RW
MSI 7900GTO hopefully overclocked 1.1ns
Soon to be Benq 24" tft. :captnkill:

I play mostly CS-S Battlefield 2 amongst other games. I play oblivion but I realise my pc hasnt got a hope in hell :( so I can sacrifice it. :thumbdwn:

Is it worth getting the monitor or will my frame rate be unacceptably low. What I am most interested in is CS-S. Will it run @ 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF?

If I can play this game on top top quality then I will probably do it. I can upgrade my pc next year and strip out the bits for my new sweet DX10 rig :captnkill: (dvd drives HDD's Monitor etc).

Cheers thanks alot I appreciate it (nana2)

SH64
10-18-06, 05:10 AM
The 7900GTO should handle CS-S/BF2 pretty well , but not Oblivion .. at least at the mentioned settings.

tommy_knockers
10-18-06, 05:24 AM
It was really annoying the asrock dudes said the motherboard supported Conroe Extreme. Then they changed their specification when I got it. Now it only is 800fsb :(. Bastards.

The GTO does have 1.1ns ram dosent it. What would you say is the best way to overclock this?

cheers

any more comments people :captnkill:

(throwpc)

tommy_knockers
10-18-06, 05:43 AM
Look what I just found

Widescreen 47" LCD 'SKY HD approved' HDTV
with ATSC/DVB-T built in Digital & Analogue TV tuners
This latest addition is truly an awesome LCD, tipping the scales at 47" this is the one we have been waiting for.

With an ultra fast 8ms response time, 1600:1 contrast ratio and
1920 x 1080 maximum resolution, which is 4 times clearer than existing SD class TVs.

And if that's not enough this can be wall mounted to free up even more space.

8ms Response Time
HD Ready
Wide 178 Viewing Angle
WXGA(1920 x 1080) 1080i (Video mode)
DVI-D, HDMI, 2x SCART (Full/Half) and Analog RGB(15P D-SUB) inputs

http://www.e-weekly.co.uk/newsletter/images/other/ew-ban-nov-lcd47d.jpg

This looks nice. the resolution on this thing is sweet :D. Made me think about the benq, though the price looks a little high

DataMatrix
10-18-06, 08:07 AM
It was really annoying the asrock dudes said the motherboard supported Conroe Extreme. Then they changed their specification when I got it. Now it only is 800fsb :(. Bastards.

The GTO does have 1.1ns ram dosent it. What would you say is the best way to overclock this?

cheers

any more comments people :captnkill:

(throwpc)

Did the website where you bought that motherboard have that specification of Conroe support?
Do you live in the UK?

If you answer yes to both questions, then you are entitled to a full refund on that motherboard, since the UK law states that if the product is mentioned to do that sort of thing and it can't do it, then it is faulty, or that it has been falsly advertised.

john19055
10-18-06, 07:26 PM
If you are going to use a 24" monitor ,the 7900GTO will play a lot of them but on some games you may need another 7900GTO so you can run it in SLI and then you should be able to run at 1920x1080,But if it was advertized to work with the new Conroe Extreme and it want ,then you should have no problems ,just to send it back and get one that will work.

tommy_knockers
10-19-06, 04:29 AM
the faggots are being really weird about it. As soon as I sent them the email they changed the website. No problems though. Thats life.

Got my GTO yesterday. It is running @ 700Mhz and 1660Mhz just by using their own overclocking thing.

Aquamark3 86,000
3DMark05 8700
3DMark06 6112

These scores seem kinda low. Though I dont think it was my Graphics cards fault.

I think this could be one of two problems.

1. My system ram is not configured properly. It says it is running @ DDRII 533MHz, however I have seen some timings on the internet and mine seem very high. (details to come in a minute).
2. Also my SATAII hard drive is running in IDE according to my BIOS. If I put it in SATA mode it just crashes.

Any solutions to thes problems. I really appreciate it, Thanks!

tommy_knockers
10-19-06, 04:30 AM
Edit

Aquamark score 86,000

CPU 10,431
GPU 14,321

Cheers tom

SLippe
10-19-06, 04:51 AM
the faggots are being really weird about it. As soon as I sent them the email they changed the website. No problems though. Thats life.

Got my GTO yesterday. It is running @ 700Mhz and 1660Mhz just by using their own overclocking thing.

Aquamark3 86,000
3DMark05 8700
3DMark06 6112

These scores seem kinda low. Though I dont think it was my Graphics cards fault.

I think this could be one of two problems.

1. My system ram is not configured properly. It says it is running @ DDRII 533MHz, however I have seen some timings on the internet and mine seem very high. (details to come in a minute).
2. Also my SATAII hard drive is running in IDE according to my BIOS. If I put it in SATA mode it just crashes.

Any solutions to thes problems. I really appreciate it, Thanks!
First, your scores don't seem low, except your Aquamark score, it should be over 100k, at least I would think. I'll have to check on that.

As for your SATA2 setup. That is weird, because the IDE cables and the SATA cable are completely different and can't even hookup to the same slots. Your system crashing when you enable SATA2...hmmmmm...could be a motherboard driver problem. That's what it sounds like to me anyways. If not, I don't know. Could be a screwy motherboard.

Again, I think your scores are fine and now that I think about it, your Aquamark score is probably about right. Your 06 score beat my 06 score of 5,307. I know we don't have the same setup, but my 7900GT CO SC is oc'd like a mofo and so is my cpu. Anyways, I'll stop rambling and let someone else that knows more about Intel and your mobo post something. Good luck, man. I know it can be frustrating when your system doesn't run like you think or know it should.

tommy_knockers
10-19-06, 04:57 AM
lol I know.

The bios on my Graphics card is

------------------------------------
Ram Bios setting

DRam CAS# latency-Auto (can set it to 6,5,4,3)
DRam RAS to CAS delay- 4
DRam RAS precharge- 4
DRam ras activate to precharge - 10

Dont have a ****** clue what this means though.

tommy_knockers
10-19-06, 05:03 AM
Hmmm what software can you recommend to check and "edit" your pc?
Any good overclocking software, diagnostic?

cheers

tommy_knockers
10-19-06, 05:18 AM
just checked out Tomshardware guide. According to them

P4 651 3.4Ghz Vs AMD 64 3200+ venice

serious sam II p4(73fps) amd(66fps)
Quake 4 p4 (101fps) amd (79fps)
3dmark06 p4- 1044 amd- 793

Hmm I dont understand this. There is something wrong with my pc If a stock one is getting these scores mine @ 4.0Ghz should be better :@