PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core Pricing

stncttr908
10-18-06, 02:34 PM
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20061018A7038.html

Nards. The "mainstream" model will still be sold in quantities of 1,000 at $851 each. Worse still, prices will probably not ease off for a while since Intel only expects 3% of their shipments within a year of introduction to be quad core processors.

It's looking more and more like I'll be getting an E6300 and overclocking the crap out of it until quad becomes affordable.

Xion X2
10-18-06, 03:02 PM
Not really needed at this point, anyway. The Conroes are so fast that they're ahead of the game right now. Dual-core optimizations are just now starting to become widespread; Quad-cores are still a year to year and a half away from benefiting the mainstream population, I think.

jolle
10-18-06, 03:24 PM
Sheit.. was hoping they´d be a bit more affordable..
Could use one for rendering at home..

superklye
10-18-06, 03:31 PM
They're expensive, but they're a hell of a lot cheaper than everyone was projecting them to be.

Wasn't the X6800 Conroe $1000 at launch?

Xion X2
10-18-06, 03:34 PM
^ Yup, the Quads are cheaper than I thought they'd be, too. Still, 830$ is too much for me for the small benefit you'd see right now.

stncttr908
10-18-06, 04:32 PM
^ Yup, the Quads are cheaper than I thought they'd be, too. Still, 830$ is too much for me for the small benefit you'd see right now.
I do a lot of content creation, so I was really hoping for some quad goodness. The benefits are quite obvious in encoding and rendering.

anticitizenzero
10-18-06, 04:33 PM
I'm planning on getting one, i'm curious to see how they overclock.

Xion X2
10-18-06, 07:40 PM
I do a lot of content creation, so I was really hoping for some quad goodness. The benefits are quite obvious in encoding and rendering.

Yeah, I meant for gaming. For what you say it would benefit, sure.

|MaguS|
10-18-06, 08:12 PM
Im getting one... I want a larger EPenis. :o

crainger
10-18-06, 08:22 PM
Im getting one... I want a larger EPenis. :o

Starting with that size, you'd need at least 3 :captnkill:

*runs away*

Bman212121
10-18-06, 11:55 PM
Starting with that size, you'd need at least 3 :captnkill:

*runs away*

:tiki:

Bearclaw
10-19-06, 02:37 AM
Not really needed at this point, anyway. The Conroes are so fast that they're ahead of the game right now. Dual-core optimizations are just now starting to become widespread; Quad-cores are still a year to year and a half away from benefiting the mainstream population, I think.
Agreed. No point in really having it accept the fact that alan wake will take advantage of quad core...damn, if only they weren't as expensive.

Tuork
10-20-06, 01:25 PM
Hold up, isn't Alan Wake taking advantage of DUAL core?

And here's a stupid question... do Conroe's support 64bit apps?

Xion X2
10-20-06, 01:43 PM
^ I tend to think the whole Alan Wake thing was a big marketing ploy by Intel. They may have been using all 4 cores like they said, but I don't think Alan Wake will pose anything that a good, fast Conroe can't handle with ease. It would be absurd to program that game for high-end graphics/physics only for quad-core processors when .0000000000000000001% of the population will own them by that point in time. Especially with the $1,000 price tag.

Alan Wake will be more GPU-dependant than anything else.

Xion X2
10-20-06, 01:44 PM
Hold up, isn't Alan Wake taking advantage of DUAL core?

And here's a stupid question... do Conroe's support 64bit apps?

I believe they do. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

jAkUp
10-20-06, 01:53 PM
Conroe are 64 bit CPU's, and both Alan Wake and Crysis support quad core.

Tuork
10-21-06, 05:49 PM
Conroe are 64 bit CPU's, and both Alan Wake and Crysis support quad core.

Awesome. I've had that doubt for some time now.

Guess there is no reason left not to go Conroe...

*Looks at wallet*

Hmm... then again...:)

schuey74
10-21-06, 07:14 PM
Well, I think that considering the fact that Alan Wake requires a dual core CPU, you should get some noticable gains from a quad core. I'm not saying it will run like a dog on dual core, but since that's the minimum requirement a moderately clocked quad core may be faster than a highly clocked dual core. I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

And AGEIA's PhysX card card won't do anything for you in that game so forget about going that route.

Tuork
10-21-06, 10:00 PM
Yah, PhysX has been a no-no for me from the beginning. No way I'll ever have 300USD laying around to spend on such an extravaganze (sp?).

Here's the thing (you can expect one of my infamous "what to buy?" threads pretty soon :p)... it's a pretty good time to sell, but not so much a good one to buy.. with kentsfield and G80 coming out in the near future.

I'm obviouly not going for the uber-high-end stuff, but they bring the prices down for the stuff I do buy.
Go capitalism! :p