PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dragon Bundle Sold out in Japanese Amazon

msxyz
10-18-06, 04:04 PM
Yep, 10000 units in less than 20 minutes.

Usually it takes Microsoft two months to sell that amount of Xbox 360 in Japan :lol:

|MaguS|
10-18-06, 04:42 PM
WoW! MS just doubled their numbers in Japan...

msxyz
10-18-06, 04:56 PM
WoW! MS just doubled their numbers in Japan...
LOL :lol:

I think they've barely reached 140K units sold since last december. After TGS the Xbox is selling 2K units a week instead of 1K before. It's slowly gaining acceptance in the japanese market although it's an uphill battle despite good support from the japanese developers.

|MaguS|
10-18-06, 05:18 PM
I dout they will win Japan over this generation, better then last generation but they still have a LONG way before they do anything thats considered acceptable sales in Japan.

If you want to compare anything, PS3 on Amazon Japan sold out aswell in under 20mins, and thats 100K units.

It's sad that the X360 is doing so poorly there but it was known that they would have a tough time.

CainSyris
10-18-06, 05:54 PM
When you've been waiting for a single game to entertain you and you finally get one game targeted at your country's interests, then it will sell well.

Reminds me of the PS2 when Grand Theft Auto 3 came out or for the Xbox when Splinter Cell came out.

The game sold extremely well because of a drought beforehand. For the Japanese, every other release of the 360 is a drought. ;)

UDawg
10-18-06, 06:08 PM
It's sad? It is natural they would want to buy a product developed and produced in their own country.

|MaguS|
10-18-06, 06:10 PM
It's sad? It is natural they would want to buy a product developed and produced in their own country.

For consoles that is true but on other merchandise the Japanese public has been known to be pretty open. Counter-Strike is growing extremly popular over there and it was said that Japanese gamers normally aren't interested in FPS titles.

UDawg
10-18-06, 06:38 PM
For consoles that is true but on other merchandise the Japanese public has been known to be pretty open. Counter-Strike is growing extremly popular over there and it was said that Japanese gamers normally aren't interested in FPS titles.
Don't think me a fanboi of any kind. I will buy what ever catches my fancy. The PS3 looks great but I can't afford it. The Xbox was in my price range so I got it.

|MaguS|
10-18-06, 07:14 PM
Don't think me a fanboi of any kind. I will buy what ever catches my fancy. The PS3 looks great but I can't afford it. The Xbox was in my price range so I got it.

Never said anything of the sort. Im a fanboy but wont look the other way on another console, I buy whatever has a game that interests me.

Namrok
10-18-06, 08:24 PM
I was sort of skeptical that Blue Dragon would really move 360s. News from TGS was basically that it was a cookie cutter JRPG with the usual names and the usual game, albiet super polished. It's good to see its moving 360's. Personally I'm looking forward to Lost Odysee more though. I'll probably still check this out when it comes out stateside.

Edge
10-18-06, 09:58 PM
If you want to compare anything, PS3 on Amazon Japan sold out aswell in under 20mins, and thats 100K units.
I don't think Amazon Japan represents the full 100k of units that will be available for the system's launch.

msxyz
10-19-06, 06:19 AM
I was sort of skeptical that Blue Dragon would really move 360s. News from TGS was basically that it was a cookie cutter JRPG with the usual names and the usual game, albiet super polished. It's good to see its moving 360's. (...)Panzer Dragoon Orta Special Edition Xbox also sold out the very same day it came out (19/12/02) but it was a one time exploit in the otherwise disappointing console sales. Obviously Microsoft cannot bet the future of its console on a couple of bestsellers. If japanese developers begin to bring out with regularity good games tailored to the japanese market, then -and only then- the Xbox 360 will have a proper place in the japanese market.

Namrok
10-19-06, 06:29 AM
Panzer Dragoon Orta Special Edition Xbox also sold out the very same day it came out (19/12/02) but it was a one time exploit in the otherwise disappointing console sales. Obviously Microsoft cannot bet the future of its console on a couple of bestsellers. If japanese developers begin to bring out with regularity good games tailored to the japanese market, then -and only then- the Xbox 360 will have a proper place in the japanese market.

Well, MS has done a good job of courting Capcom with Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Personally, I enjoyed Enchanted Arms too, but I know its not a system seller by any measure.

Can't forget DoA Tit Jiggling 2 :p

msxyz
10-19-06, 07:14 AM
Dead rising is a game for the western audience and Keiji Inafune confirmed this. Capcom was originally opposed to the project and it's only thanks to Inafune perseverance and prestige that Capcom management changed its mind and we can enjoy Dead Rising. What a loss it could have been!

With Lost Planet, Inafune is adopting a different approach. He's hoping to bring a Halo type of game that can please both the home audience and the western market. It's a big gamble and I don't know how it will succeed.

If we exclude software like Idol m@ster, Samurai Warriors and all the other small budget games coming from Japan, Blue Dragon is the first heavyweight designed specifically for the Japanese audience in mind. Yet, I think that part of the possible success of Blue Dragon is tied more to the pop culture revolving around Toriyama than to its widely known developers behind the game. It's not a coincidence that Blue Dragon bundle is sold with a custom faceplate and figurines. It's the kind of item that attract japanese gamers, people who collect and trade Nintendo handhelds for having different case colors or limited editions.

Scunner
10-19-06, 01:30 PM
Can't forget DoA Tit Jiggling 2 :p

My department's PC tech is gonna be pissed that I coughed tea onto my laptop.

:p

Edge
10-19-06, 04:18 PM
Panzer Dragoon Orta Special Edition Xbox also sold out the very same day it came out (19/12/02) but it was a one time exploit in the otherwise disappointing console sales. Obviously Microsoft cannot bet the future of its console on a couple of bestsellers. If japanese developers begin to bring out with regularity good games tailored to the japanese market, then -and only then- the Xbox 360 will have a proper place in the japanese market.
Weren't there only 1000 of those released? I don't think that game ever really pushed the console much in Japan, not like an RPG would.

While the Xbox 360 won't be climbing to the top of the console market from a single game, I think it's possible that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey will at least pull the console up from being totally dead in Japan to being on life support. If the Xbox 360 can at least sell a couple million units there within the next year, it might be enough for other developers to jump on and with enough support, will start getting a few somewhat more major titles that wouldn't be on it otherwise.

Of course, it's difficult to tell how likely that is. Guess we'll see when sales numbers for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey come in. Considering how many consoles there are over there right now, you could practically count every game sale as a console sale in Japan :p