PDA

View Full Version : IE 7.0 Final for Windows XP

lukrad
10-18-06, 06:19 PM
just released...Microsoft didn't change the official web site yet...but here is a direct link to download it.

Windows XP SP2:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/8/8/38889DC1-848C-4BF2-8335-86C573AD86D9/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

Windows XP x64 Edition:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/4/114D5B07-4DBC-42F3-96FA-2097E207D0AF/IE7-WindowsServer2003-x64-enu.exe

Windows 2003 Server 32bit:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/1/3/D1346F12-F3A0-4AC6-8F5C-2BEA2A184957/IE7-WindowsServer2003-x86-enu.exe

Enjoy!

Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP/X64 Edition is scheduled for October 24th.

rewt
10-18-06, 06:23 PM
I installed it about an hour ago, just so my PC is up to date. Still using Opera 9 as my main browser though.

I'll probably update my dad's machine with it. He still uses IE6, although I wish he wouldn't, because I'm always having to install updates and remove spyware and such..

AthlonXP1800
10-18-06, 10:03 PM
Got it installed, far so good. I am impressive with creating my own custom search links, surprised IE7 didnt come with Windows Mail (Outlook Express 7).

SLippe
10-18-06, 10:50 PM
I'll install it when I get home. I like keeping my Windows stuff updated, but I still use Firefox as my main browser. I only use IE to update Windows. I'll install it on my wife's PC, all she uses is IE. I may have to work on that! :D

DataMatrix
10-18-06, 11:22 PM
Seems like they optimised the page loading.

Zelda_fan
10-18-06, 11:40 PM
To be honest, I like Firefox 2.0 RC3 as my main browser. It's much much faster, and I love the spell check and search complete features.

shungokusatsu
10-19-06, 03:36 AM
Absolutely loving it so far. The tabs are a godsend, the in-window search bar with google makes things much more convienent, and he overall new look is pretty smooth. All that's really missing is a spell checker.

nekrosoft13
10-19-06, 06:47 AM
Absolutely loving it so far. The tabs are a godsend, the in-window search bar with google makes things much more convienent, and he overall new look is pretty smooth. All that's really missing is a spell checker.

google iespell, free spell check plugin

Zelda_fan
10-19-06, 12:15 PM
google iespell, free spell check plugin

even still, firefox is a lot quicker and a lot less "laggier"

DataMatrix
10-19-06, 12:20 PM
Firefox will always be laggy.

shungokusatsu
10-19-06, 12:28 PM
Only one problem. On sites like this, it blocks the "insert Image" function, seems to do this on every forum. I can't seem to find an option to allow certain sites scripts, any ideas?

fivefeet8
10-19-06, 12:53 PM
Only one problem. On sites like this, it blocks the "insert Image" function, seems to do this on every forum. I can't seem to find an option to allow certain sites scripts, any ideas?

You're going to have to set the internet security level to "medium". Not the default "medium-high". You should already get a small yellow information bar on top when you click on those insert buttons(default internet security setting). It allows you to temporarily enable the pop up prompt, but it only works for the current page. A refresh will require another click on the information bar.

You can also add www.nvnews.net and any other website you trust into your "local intranet" security setting. That way, those sites will use the medium-low setting, but it won't allow all other sites to do the same.

rewt
10-19-06, 01:01 PM
I can't seem to find an option to allow certain sites scripts, any ideas?

Add the site to your trusted sites in Tools > Internet Options > Security.

fivefeet8
10-19-06, 01:07 PM
Add the site to your trusted sites in Tools > Internet Options > Security.

The Trusted Sites add function only allows secure HTTPS:// sites to be added until you untick the Require server certification option. I guess you can untick it, add all the sites, then re-tick it. That's probably a better way since the security level is set to "Medium" instead of "Medium-Low" for Trusted Sites.

shungokusatsu
10-19-06, 02:22 PM
You're going to have to set the internet security level to "medium". Not the default "medium-high". You should already get a small yellow information bar on top when you click on those insert buttons(default internet security setting). It allows you to temporarily enable the pop up prompt, but it only works for the current page. A refresh will require another click on the information bar.

You can also add www.nvnews.net and any other website you trust into your "local intranet" security setting. That way, those sites will use the medium-low setting, but it won't allow all other sites to do the same.

Thanks a lot, adding my sites to the Local Intranet did the trick. Now I can fully enjoy IE7, loving it so far. Thanks again :D

Zelda_fan
10-19-06, 02:26 PM
Firefox will always be laggy.

no I mean it's the exact opposite. Firefox is fast, and IE is laggy.

rflair
10-19-06, 04:19 PM
no I mean it's the exact opposite. Firefox is fast, and IE is laggy.

In what regards? I have both installed and IE7 renders pages noticeably faster then FF.

I do like the spell checker built into FF, i'm going to try the google plugin for IE7 hopefully its not laggy/slow. Maybe this is what your referring to?

IE7 is very nice, so is FF2, they are almost on par with each other in my view so it comes down to personal choice/prejudice.

bigC
10-19-06, 05:23 PM
i downloaded it, and it works pretty good. however, there already is a problem with IE7, or one of its components, apparently:

Some people are discussing a recently announced security vulnerability that they claim is found in Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP SP2 systems.

While it is true that a vulnerability exists, the vulnerability is not actually in any components of IE7, although the attack vector makes it appear that way. Our friends at the MSRC have the issue under investigation and have posted a blog entry with more details on which component is affected and what you should do about it. If you’re curious about this vulnerability, I encourage you to read up about it there.

more here: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/10/19/information-on-reports-of-ie-7-vulnerability.aspx

rewt
10-19-06, 05:35 PM
there already is a problem with IE7

Ah well, get used to it. ;) IE6 has been out for years and it still needs updates every week.. The bad thing is they're only released by Microsoft about once a month, which leaves a pretty big Window for malware to get in.

Mike89
10-19-06, 10:58 PM
Just installed it and really like it. Of course I'm pretty easy to please since I liked IE 6 just fine (never had a need or desire to install any 3rd party ones). This one is definitely better though and seems faster.

sewebster87
10-20-06, 02:22 PM
Got it installed, far so good. I am impressive with creating my own custom search links, surprised IE7 didnt come with Windows Mail (Outlook Express 7).

I think part of that is because IE7 is now an independent program, as opposed to be a Windows component, and it is no longer part of OE anymore, like it used to be.

OWA
10-20-06, 09:05 PM
Yeah, that would have been nice. If OE7 is the same thing as what Vista uses, I really like it.