PDA

View Full Version : New game SLI Profiles

Greeno
10-19-06, 06:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Another (probably stupid) question regarding SLI...

As we've not really had any new drivers in a while, I've got a bit of beef with NVIDIA over SLI profiles...

It's my understanding (please all, correct me if i'm wrong) you need an SLI profile to really take advantage of SLI/7950GX2's etc.

My major gripe is :-

- Madden 07
- FIFA 07
- NBA Live 07
- Tiger Woods 06
- The Movies: Stunts and Effects

(that'll do for now)

If... (big if) I don't have profiles for these, am I getting single-card performance?

As EA are a bunch of twats also, most of them games are re-branded 06 games anyway, so could i just amend nvapps.xml to add them .exe's in to start the old profiles? likewise with Themovies.exe or whatever it is, add the ThemoviesSE.exe as another line?

Or am I just being stupid and NVIDIA cards automatically do something if no profile is present and I should just live with the performance i'm getting?

Thanks again guys!

I'm sure i'm not alone in moaning about this :)

grey_1
10-19-06, 07:12 AM
If there's no game profile the drivers just default to 'global'. As for the SLI, it doesn't rely on game profiles to be enabled, just to define which type of SLI it uses (AFR, SFR) etc.

Greeno
10-19-06, 07:14 AM
That helps (sort of) I'm not too hot on AFR, SFR etc...

Do you guys make your own? what's the best (AFR/SFR etc) if I'm going to try create some :)

grey_1
10-19-06, 08:17 AM
That helps (sort of) I'm not too hot on AFR, SFR etc...

Do you guys make your own? what's the best (AFR/SFR etc) if I'm going to try create some :)
You can add a profile yourself, under profiles just click add, then browse to the games .exe. For the different SLi modes you can browse to C:/windows/system32/nvapps.xml and whatever game you want to, delete where it says 'predefined' (minus quotes) then save it. This will let you choose a different mode for that game.

eh, forgot about nvtray. Google nvtray, that has a function to directly edit your nvapps.xml, just about anything else you want to do as well.

Good luck with it!

ManOnFire
10-19-06, 09:29 AM
Have you tried to set the global driver setting to automatically determine sli renderering mode?

Greeno
10-19-06, 10:39 AM
What should i be looking for? :)

cheers!

grey_1
10-19-06, 11:58 AM
What should i be looking for? :)

cheers!
Well, just basically (because basics are all I know :p ) If you leave your driver setting on "global" in the nv control panel (classic cp under performance) then the games profile automatically selects an SLI mode for you.

The 2 most used (I think) are AFR - Alternate frame rendering and SFR - Split frame rendering. There's also AFR2 and SLI AA. I've never seen any of my games use SFR, they all default to AFR and I've never had a problem.

Some say they get better performance with something other than the automatic setting, which is where editing that nvapps.xml, to get rid of the "predefined" comes in.

That said, go into your nv control panel (I use the classic) click on the SLI multi-gpu tab and check "Show GPU load balancing". Then fire up a game you have questions about. If SLI is working you should have 2 green bars on screen. If it's not working then you have a different problem. Try that and let us know how it goes.

nekrosoft13
10-19-06, 12:38 PM
That said, go into your nv control panel (I use the classic) click on the SLI multi-gpu tab and check "Show GPU load balancing". Then fire up a game you have questions about. If SLI is working you should have 2 green bars on screen. If it's not working then you have a different problem. Try that and let us know how it goes.

note: if he has 7950GX2, he will have to use 3rd party program to enable load balancer (nHancer)

note2: load balancer will only show if vsync is off

rewt
10-19-06, 12:41 PM
That said, go into your nv control panel (I use the classic) click on the SLI multi-gpu tab and check "Show GPU load balancing".

I've read that the Multi-gpu tab doesn't show up with a single GX2. Not sure about dual GX2s however..

If you own a single GX2, and you don't see the Multi-gpu tab in the control panel, consider this; It is built into NVTray under the Hardware menu.

Other than that, I think grey_1 has covered it well.

In my own words, if you don't see a profile for your game, use the global setting, or create your own.

On the other hand, games that already have a predefined SLI profile will use that value when the game loads. In my experience, global setting will not override it (unless you use SLI AA I think).

grey_1
10-19-06, 04:48 PM
Ah, wasn't aware of the GX2 differences. thanks guys.