PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Water cooled their 7950 GX2?

Tez
10-19-06, 09:25 AM
Im gona get my GX2 water cooled next week and just wondered if anyone has already done it?

Id like to see the overclocking potential and tempretures achived. The Danger Den is the one im looking at getting.

fatal1ty
10-19-06, 02:51 PM
Im gona get my GX2 water cooled next week and just wondered if anyone has already done it?

Id like to see the overclocking potential and tempretures achived. The Danger Den is the one im looking at getting.

I've seen some people, temps are nice with water... 40s load.

Zelda_fan
10-19-06, 03:08 PM
I think jakup does this, and I plan on water cooling my G80 (currently I just water cool my CPU).

Water cooling (if installed properly) is awesome. It makes your computer rock solid stable. I would say that 80% of lockups (especially in games) are due to overheating issues. Water cooling fixes that for good. And yes, if you are into over clocking, you will be able to push the clocks a lot higher.

Blacklash
10-19-06, 03:40 PM
Some of you may find the "spacer kit" available from Swiftech useful.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

It does preclude Quad sli though.

LBJM
10-19-06, 06:53 PM
use the DD full coverage blocks! theres not enough air flow for the heatsinks.

fatal1ty
10-19-06, 07:04 PM
Honestly any h20 solution for the 7950 GX2 is like throwing money away. I have a Maze 4 already that will fit any single gpu, spending $200 on a DD cooler for the 7950 GX2 is just stupid as you will be selling it for a loss in a few months when the dx10 cards are in retail...

Keep the gx2 on air - or goto a single card that will utilize a GPU block that is compatible with all other single PCB cards.

Tez
10-19-06, 08:21 PM
I have no intent on selling my card for a long time yet. If DirectX 10 was like 9 then only a few added features will be seen in new games. It will take a while till DX 10 is a requirment to play a game. No more graphics cards for another year or so for me.

The Danger Den block for this shows to be very reliable at keeping it way cooler than stock fan, which increases your chances of good clock speeds.
This block is way way over priced mind you, which increases the total cost of this card into high heaven.

http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/acatalog/7950GX2_dangerdenpreview.html

The swiftech looks to be a good soloution but id loose all my 2 PCI slots.

fatal1ty
10-19-06, 10:59 PM
True but if the G80 is pushing 12k 3dm 06, then the GX2 will be obsolete. :D

marqmajere
10-20-06, 12:36 AM
True but if the G80 is pushing 12k 3dm 06, then the GX2 will be obsolete. :D

Yes. Obsolete for a synthetic benchmark.... :bleh:

Tez
10-20-06, 04:14 AM
Ok well look at it this way, going way back when I had the geforce Ti 4200 before DX9. I had this card for over a year then DX9 came out I was still playing DX9 games on that card for some time. There where the odd DX9 feature I was missing but no major visual or performance impact was made.

The GX2 is way ahead as regarding frame rate on most games and peronaly have never had a card that was such a huge step in performace from my last which was a older generation card the X800XT.

My X800XT right upto last week was pushing out 55 -85fps in BF2 @ full settings 1600 x 1200. Only a few games would tax it that being GRAW and F.E.A.R to mention just 2. Getting to my point, the x800 range are still selling but at very low price it having 6000 points in 3Dmark 2005 makes no difference as it is still a quick card and plays most games with med to high settings. I dont need 160fps to play a game 50 -60fps will do just fine.

The GX2 shows me that its a fair future proof card given its high performance at such high resoloutions with FSAA, ASF not making hardly any diffrence.

People would not be spending such high prices for a card that has no future.

fatal1ty
10-20-06, 10:27 AM
Yes. Obsolete for a synthetic benchmark.... :bleh:

Obsolete to the high end gamer. With Directx 10 coming I don't see much of a future for the older cards. Everyone will be moving to a DX10 card - whether its mid or high end I, myself cannot justify another $200 for a block that is only useful on one card.

Tez
10-20-06, 12:32 PM
I agree that price is a Piss take, its basicly a the price of a new X850XT card.

nmdelrio
10-20-06, 03:45 PM

I am considering liquid-cooling mine (when I finally receive them from @#$%^ seller at eBay), depending on what temps I get during actual play. Doing quad-SLI.

These are what I am looking at.
http://www.koolance.com/images/vid-400-l06_p4.jpg

But the DD ones look nice, I like the black color. I need to read some reviews. The master-to-slave gasket presents a potential leak. Bye-bye GX2. :cry:

I am a bit apprehensive taking the cards apart though.

Tez
10-20-06, 07:02 PM
Iv been water cooling computers for years now and have complete faith in Danger Den and my fitting them in. My only bitter thought is the price.

I too got my card from Ebay for a good price of 285 and the GTX or X1950TXT are also around that price so this wasnt a bad buy to get a nice future proof gig of ram and very overclockable card.

That Koolance setup looks sweet, shame its not 1/2". I mite wait a bit till thoes blocks come down in price.