PDA

View Full Version : "Affordable" X-Fi's

PaiN
10-19-06, 11:40 AM
$65 and $89 :)

X-Fi XtremeAudio (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102007)
and
X-Fi XtremeGamer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102006)

I snagged the XtemeGamer to replace my sick & now dead Audigy2 ZS...I ran across these when I was looking for a replacement

harl
10-19-06, 12:02 PM
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=78404

X-Fi Xtreme Audio is a software based card with no hardware support for EAX. Is more like the Live!24bit or AudigySE/LS kind of cards, if not the SAME card having the firmware rewritten with the new name and ID string. The software provided is supporting Crystalizer and CMSS3D from X-Fi line of cards.

Actually the Gamer seems to be the Xtreme Music with a cheaper pcb. You lose the gold connectors and drivebay facilities (internal or external). It's fully hardware accelerated though, and much cheaper than the original X-Fis. If you look at the pictures, you'll see the new style heatsink on the dsp, which implies it's the same dsp as the Music.

So the gamer seems interesting and the Xtreme Audio it's a "fake" X-Fi

superklye
10-19-06, 12:17 PM
*lovingly glances at his X-Fi Elite Pro and caresses the breakout box gently*

Bman212121
10-19-06, 04:27 PM

*Looks at the extra $250 in his pocket and caresses the front-panel inputs on the X-Fi Platinum*

Q
10-19-06, 04:32 PM
*Looks at the extra $250 in his pocket and caresses the front-panel inputs on the X-Fi Platinum*

*Looks at Bman212121 in his pocket and caresses his front-panel inputs...*

Wait a second....:bleh:

Redshirt #24
10-19-06, 05:11 PM
See, if I could find an X-Fi that sounds as just plain good as my Audigy 4 Pro does--and the only obvious choice seems to be the card that directly replaced it, the Elite Pro--I'd at least consider trading up. The bargain cards don't interest me (shock!) at all...

Rakeesh
10-19-06, 06:57 PM
Actually the Gamer seems to be the Xtreme Music with a cheaper pcb. You lose the gold connectors and drivebay facilities (internal or external). It's fully hardware accelerated though, and much cheaper than the original X-Fis. If you look at the pictures, you'll see the new style heatsink on the dsp, which implies it's the same dsp as the Music.

Which means its effectively the same card. Gold connectors wouldn't really gain you much if anything in the grand scheme of things. Since you're stuck with crappy analog anyways you are better off by not buying the xtreme music and spend that money you save on shielded audio cables.

einstein_314
10-19-06, 09:30 PM
*lovingly glances at his X-Fi Fatal1ty and caresses the front panel gently*

:D

I LOVE my X-Fi. I freakin Rock!! Well worth the $300 I spent on it!

crainger
10-19-06, 10:01 PM
*lovingly glances at his Audigy 2 and caresses Teh Bigman*

Your the beesknees baby.

I'll get a X-FI one day. Been hoping they would release a cheaper version with just the card with X-RAM, I wouldn't need at breakout boxes or front panels.

stevemedes
10-19-06, 10:18 PM
*lovingly glances at his Audigy 2 and caresses Teh Bigman*

Your the beesknees baby.

I'll get a X-FI one day. Been hoping they would release a cheaper version with just the card with X-RAM, I wouldn't need at breakout boxes or front panels.

Id go the same way as you. Up until a few weeks ago, i was using an old Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1. Switched to the onboard HD audio on my mobo and it actually sounds alot better, and fixes some incompatibility issues with some older games.

$n][pErMan
10-20-06, 08:23 PM
I am loving my X-Fi Fatal1ty.... the sound for both games and music is amazing... :D

SLippe
10-20-06, 11:40 PM
Cool. I just pulled my Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit Advanced HD card out of my system last weekend and went with the onboard 8 channel audio. It actually sounds better. I may look into the Gamer card then. I mean, audio isn't that big of a deal to me, so this would work for me.

noob question; What do shielded cables do for you?

crainger
10-21-06, 01:37 AM
Cool. I just pulled my Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit Advanced HD card out of my system last weekend and went with the onboard 8 channel audio. It actually sounds better. I may look into the Gamer card then. I mean, audio isn't that big of a deal to me, so this would work for me.

noob question; What do shielded cables do for you?

Reduces interference from other devices, especially if you are running a fairly long length of cable. Better Shielding equals better sound. Thats for analogue anyway. If your using digital such as co-ax or optical. It doesn't make much of a difference.

PaiN
10-21-06, 02:39 PM
Thanks to some quick shipping I got the card, earily. Im very impressed with it, the sound is all X-Fi and whole bunch better than my sick Audigy2 ;)
I had been using on-board sound while I waited, outside of better sound (duh) with the X-Fi, performance is very much improved.

nekrosoft13
10-23-06, 09:36 AM
they should release fatality card with out the front bay, and cut the price in half

MustangSVT
10-23-06, 04:03 PM
So the budget X-Fi cards aren't that great at all? I'll stick with my Audigy 2 ZS for a while then. When the X-Fi Platinum comes down in price, I may get that.

superklye
10-23-06, 05:41 PM
*lovingly glances at his X-Fi Fatal1ty and caresses the front panel gently*

:D

I LOVE my X-Fi. I freakin Rock!! Well worth the $300 I spent on it!
DITTO!

The sound quality from this card is second to none. I'm going to have this card for a very, VERY long time to come. :)

SH0DAN
10-23-06, 06:47 PM
So the budget X-Fi cards aren't that great at all? I'll stick with my Audigy 2 ZS for a while then. When the X-Fi Platinum comes down in price, I may get that.

One great way to make the price come down is to shop around,I grabbed my NIB Platinum X-Fi on Ebay for 92 usd including 7 day ground shipping. :) I love 99 cent auctions !

sharangad
10-24-06, 02:31 PM
they should release fatality card with out the front bay, and cut the price in half

They do now, though proly not for half the price:

"X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series"

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15854

It also seems to not support decoding DD and DTS via the drivers, offering a download of PowerDVD which does the same thing.

A101Sugar
11-04-06, 03:44 PM
if you can still find them.... Best Buy is getting rid of them and has the X-Fi Extreme Music and the X-Fi Extreme Music Platinum on clearance...

I got the Extreme Music Platinum with the front panel for $124.99 :)