PDA

View Full Version : Even mainstream media is bashing corporate greed.

t6_shadow
10-19-06, 11:52 PM
I am signed up for the various gamespot newletters. One of which is devoted to xbox games I recived this email yesterday and I QUOTE

"Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 is the latest in the long-running Tiger Woods series. Lately, EA has been conducting evil experiments with Xbox Live Arcade, and Tiger Woods is its latest guinea pig. Via Marketplace, you'll be able to purchase many, if not all of the things that you could unlock by playing the game properly. Want a fully-leveled up golfer? How about all those pesky unlockable courses? They're all just a few bucks away. But hey, if you're going to just pay to open up everything, why not just take it all one step further and don't buy the game in the first place? Seriously, I like that someone's out there testing the limits and figuring out what people will and won't buy, but this is going a few steps too far. We'll have to wait and see how it sells, I guess. If it's a hit with the golf crowd, look to see such insanity creep into other games."

Yeah people going around saying how they hate EA etc. I am gonna take it one step further I hope that they people from EA,or any company pulling **** just like this dies horribly. Perhaps burning alive after a car crash...yeah thats a nice thought.

mrrolf
10-20-06, 12:13 AM
What's so wrong about offering unlocks for a price. If you don't want to pay, then play the game and unlock it. EA is not forcing people to pay for this. It's just a way for people to see the entire game without spending 40 hrs. in front of the tv. Yes it is another way for EA to make money which sucks, but they're not forcing anyone to do it.

knghtwhosaysni
10-20-06, 12:19 AM
I don't know... kinda lame considering such unlocking cheats were free in all past games.

Q
10-20-06, 12:36 AM
I don't like defending EA....ever....

But video game companies have had 1-900 unlock a cheat things since the NES. This, for once, is not an EA started or EA-only problem. Its the same lame thing that's been happening for 20 years, just in a different format.

Edit: UNLESS this is the only way you can get the cheats. Then it is the uber lame.

Edge
10-20-06, 12:53 AM
What's so wrong about offering unlocks for a price. If you don't want to pay, then play the game and unlock it. EA is not forcing people to pay for this. It's just a way for people to see the entire game without spending 40 hrs. in front of the tv. Yes it is another way for EA to make money which sucks, but they're not forcing anyone to do it.
Of course the same can be said of any purchased content. But here's a question: why not put in a title screen code? Why not do what every other game does and give you an unlock ability WITHOUT having to purchase them online? This is essentially like ID selling Godmode and Noclip for Doom 3.

Edit: UNLESS this is the only way you can get the cheats. Then it is the uber lame.
The "Sunday Tiger" unlock is only available when you purchase it from the marketplace.

Zelda_fan
10-20-06, 01:59 AM
I don't see why you even give a crap. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I think it's a bad idea too, but I don't go around saying "OMG EA IS THE DEVIL" I just don't purchase it.

mrrolf
10-20-06, 06:36 AM
Of course the same can be said of any purchased content. But here's a question: why not put in a title screen code? Why not do what every other game does and give you an unlock ability WITHOUT having to purchase them online? This is essentially like ID selling Godmode and Noclip for Doom 3.

So wait.. you want EA to the same thing as everyone else? This is an original (I'm sure someone will find proof that it's not) idea, good or bad, but at least they are trying to do something different.

Would people be as upset if they completely took out all cheats?

I don't see why you even give a crap. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I think it's a bad idea too, but I don't go around saying "OMG EA IS THE DEVIL" I just don't purchase it.

werd

Edge
10-20-06, 04:01 PM
So wait.. you want EA to the same thing as everyone else? This is an original (I'm sure someone will find proof that it's not) idea, good or bad, but at least they are trying to do something different.

Would people be as upset if they completely took out all cheats?
...Right...so it would be innovative if ID started charging for God mode? This isn't original...it's just stupid.

t6_shadow
10-20-06, 04:59 PM

Why do I care? Its not the dumb golf game its the TREND it starts you goose. If you hadn't been listening to past arguments along these lines the reason I care is thus. If people are stupid enough to buy "products" like these then the game companies will start nickel and diming you for everything on EVERY GAME. Again games that had say 22 levels in them will only be released with 11. You will still pay 50-60 bucks for this game but then they will want you to pay and extra 20 bucks for the last 11 levels. They probably won't even give you any sort of ending in the game either. Oh wait they already did that COUGH half-life 2 COUGH. BFME had maps selling up on marketplace before the game was released!

Console gaming was one of the few really cost conservative hobbies one could enjoy... too bad thats all going down the drain.

Edge
10-21-06, 03:23 AM
To put what t6_shadow is saying into fewer words, people don't want console gaming to turn into this when you buy a game:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6797/dsc00808to3.jpg

candle_86
10-21-06, 01:20 PM
They probably won't even give you any sort of ending in the game either. Oh wait they already did that COUGH half-life 2 COUGH.

well Half Life 2 and there Episodes where the plan, if you followed the seris like a serious Half Life fan you'd know that. Half Life 2 didnt have a good ending, because they intend to make Half Life 3, the community said now hold on last time it took you 6 years, so instead they are making episodes, instead of Half Life 3. People like me asking for episodic content, and where quite happy to have it, if your not then dont play the greatest single game ever made.

LycosV
10-21-06, 03:23 PM
It's an evolution of "episodic content" I didn't like it for Steam, and I don't like it for X-Box live. Releasing smaller games like geometry wars over Live makes sense: It's a great whole game but probably wouldn't survive if it had to pay for distrobution. Selling "episodes", small addons (Ghost Recon), and any other additional content over Live, Steam, etc. is a load of crap. They're charging us for stuff they would've either given us in patches or sold in bigger chunks as a new product.
Episodic content will only work if they release episodes often, not once a year like Half Life 2. Most people beat HL2 ep1 in four hours (http://www.steampowered.com/status/ep1/). How angry would you be if you only got four hours of your favorite episodic TV show a year? Why are you happier to get that much out of a game you actually paid for?