PDA

View Full Version : MS to sue Sony over spreading false claims ?

Pages : [1] 2

msxyz
10-20-06, 05:05 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

Ok, here's a new one: with Sony's announcements today they've issued a titled "Next-generation Console Comparison Fact Sheet," (downloadable here [DOC]) so let's see some facts. First up, were you aware that to use your Xbox 360 Core system you're required to buy the 20GB drive add-on, an HD DVD drive, a wireless controller, and an Xbox Live sub? We weren't either. But hey, it says right there, "requires users to buy" and this is, in fact, a "fact sheet." Of course, none of that's actually true, and what's more, were one to use the Xbox 360 Premium console pack in that chart instead of the Core pack, the total would be $399 for a console with that very same hard drive, wireless controller, and Xbox Live Silver subscription (which provides access to everything but multiplayer) -- remember, kids, an HD DVD drive is not required to do anything but watch high def movies -- it has nothing to do with high def gaming. We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action, namely because it could be misleading to otherwise unwitting retail employees selling customers game consoles this holiday season. Go figure.

P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.

Lfctony
10-20-06, 05:13 AM
Well, I hope Sony get their asses handed to them on this one. I hate it when companies use lies to appear superior, just friggin' hate it.

msxyz
10-20-06, 05:20 AM
Well Sony even manipulated evidence during the Immersion case so this doesn't surprise me at all.

There's a fine line between promoting a product by placing it in a better light and lying about its characteristics or downplaying the competition with false claims. A line that should never be crossed

nekrosoft13
10-20-06, 06:27 AM
good, stupid sony

lIqUID
10-20-06, 06:59 AM
its looks to me like the chart is just what it would take to make both cores comparable as far as features are concerned. If people go into a purchase like this so uneducated that they cant figure out what is needed and what isnt for the system to run then shame on them. The only thing I see out of place is the $50 charge for a controller on the x360 when both consoles come with one anyways, isnt this correct?

just another Sony bash link, move along people nothing to see here.

msxyz
10-20-06, 07:25 AM
So when you buy a Xbox 360 "core package" do you need the following accessories to be able to use it ?

- a wireless controller?
- a 20Gb hardisk?
- an HD-DVD drive?
- a gold subscription?

Because that is what it is written on the document distributed by Sony; it's not a simple comparison of bundled features; the way it's written makes it look like they're required purchases. That document is also available on Sony press center for N.A. so there are no doubts it comes officially from them. ( http://presscenter.playstation.com/C...on%20FINAL.doc you need an account)

PS: Here is the comparison table in question:
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/sony_chart1.jpg

Namrok
10-20-06, 07:40 AM
On the one hand, I definately think Sony reached a new low with that "fact sheet". On the other hand, it's pretty typical marketing BS and I think it seems frivolous to sue over. I seem to recall many commercials using the approach of "You'd have to buy all these accessories to get the same out of this device as you would with our device!"

Calling them "required" seems stupid, and one would hope anyone looking to buy would know better. But if this is the stuff the clerks say when someone is buying a 360 "Oh, you'll have to buy all this other stuff or the box won't work" then we have a problem.

But generally the clerks are gamers themselves, so I find this unlikely.

msxyz
10-20-06, 07:51 AM
But generally the clerks are gamers themselves, so I find this unlikely.I can only speak for computer shops, having worked in one of them part time.

Young clerks in computer shops are usually hardware enthusiast themselves and thay can recognize if the customer in front of them knows about computer hardware pretty quickly. When they smell a potential clueless customer you've no idea what kind of BS they're able to pull to sell more :lol:

I'm told that clerks in large store chains, on the other side, are pretty clueless themselves and they boldly try to sell everything you won't ever need while not sounding very convincing in the process.

|MaguS|
10-20-06, 08:04 AM
I guess im the only one who finds this amusing? I laughed my ass off, this is a new low blow and just really funny. Im not defending Sony at all, I think they are way off the mark but come on... takes some big balls to talk like they do ...

EDIT: ArturNOW is correct, I actually just downloaded the doc (couldn't at home, new HD, no windows) and well... theres NOTHING wrong with the document. It just does a comparison and shows the "value" of the PS3 when compared to the compitition.

ArturNOW
10-20-06, 08:14 AM
I downloaded the doc file and there's nowhere written that you have to buy does accessories to use Xbox 360. There only a table which shows what's PS3 capable of and how much you have to spend to get the same functionality. I don't see anything wrong about it. Unfortunately Sony didn't list HDMI output in this table ;-)

It would be like in MasterCard ads ... Gamepad 49$... your granny's penties 99,99$, HDMI priceless (nana2)

nekrosoft13
10-20-06, 08:23 AM
I can only speak for computer shops, having worked in one of them part time.

Young clerks in computer shops are usually hardware enthusiast themselves and thay can recognize if the customer in front of them knows about computer hardware pretty quickly. When they smell a potential clueless customer you've no idea what kind of BS they're able to pull to sell more :lol:

I'm told that clerks in large store chains, on the other side, are pretty clueless themselves and they boldly try to sell everything you won't ever need while not sounding very convincing in the process.

i don't know what you mean by computer shops, but people that i have to deal with at either fry(outpost), best buy or tiger direct, are complete morons.

hordaktheman
10-20-06, 08:23 AM
That's really the kicker, innit? It only says 'required' not required for what. If it means 'required for play' then those are flat out lies. If it means 'required to be functionally the same' then it's not.

It's the difference between 'spin' and 'lies'.

msxyz
10-20-06, 08:41 AM
i don't know what you mean by computer shops, but people that i have to deal with at either fry(outpost), best buy or tiger direct, are complete morons.For computer shops, I meant small outlets specialized in dealing solely in computers (usually assembled by them), opposed to large retail chains (like Walmart, Best buy, etc...) selling boxed products and dealing with a wider range of consumer electronics.

I agree, I usually tend to avoid purchasing from large stores beecause their staff is a pain to deal with.

Marvel_us
10-20-06, 08:57 AM
That's really the kicker, innit? It only says 'required' not required for what. If it means 'required for play' then those are flat out lies. If it means 'required to be functionally the same' then it's not.

It's the difference between 'spin' and 'lies'.

Agreed, this is actually pretty good marketing by Sony. This fact sheet shows the different between bundles and it does its job nicely.

I don't see why they were complaining about Sony using Xbox360's Core version. Sony uses their Core version as well.

I think the reason Sony didn't put HDMI on it is because instead of $0 straight down, they'd have to put $49.99.:p

brady
10-20-06, 11:37 AM
I enjoy my xbox but I'm glad Sony is pointing these things out. I hope Microsoft decides to take a look at prices. Honestly, I wish I would have saved my money and waited for the ps3. Not because I think gaming capability is any better on one console or the other, but for individuals (like myself) who do want an entire entertainment package, Sony does offer more for less. I don't think there's any way around that.

If all your interested in is playing games then the 360 is more affordable. I think I got caught up in all the buzz and just bought the first thing on the block. I don't have a ton of money so in hindsight I should have waited it out. I was just too impatient.

Mr_LoL
10-20-06, 11:51 AM
I enjoy my xbox but I'm glad Sony is pointing these things out. I hope Microsoft decides to take a look at prices. Honestly, I wish I would have saved my money and waited for the ps3. Not because I think gaming capability is any better on one console or the other, but for individuals (like myself) who do want an entire entertainment package, Sony does offer more for less. I don't think there's any way around that.

If all your interested in is playing games then the 360 is more affordable. I think I got caught up in all the buzz and just bought the first thing on the block. I don't have a ton of money so in hindsight I should have waited it out. I was just too impatient.
*Sarcasm* :lol:

evilchris
10-20-06, 12:02 PM
I guess im the only one who finds this amusing? I laughed my ass off, this is a new low blow and just really funny. Im not defending Sony at all, I think they are way off the mark but come on... takes some big balls to talk like they do ...

EDIT: ArturNOW is correct, I actually just downloaded the doc (couldn't at home, new HD, no windows) and well... theres NOTHING wrong with the document. It just does a comparison and shows the "value" of the PS3 when compared to the compitition.

thanks for the expert legal analysis magus.

it actually takes complete stupidity to talk like they do, not balls.

evilchris
10-20-06, 12:04 PM

If you don't have a ton of money then you aren't going to have a TV that will show any benefit from HD movies. In this case you are wanting the BR drive for "buzz".

toxikneedle
10-20-06, 12:24 PM
thanks for the expert legal analysis magus.

it actually takes complete stupidity to talk like they do, not balls.
Remember, the next-generation gaming doesn't begin until Sony says so....

H3avyM3tal
10-20-06, 12:26 PM
Preety amusing if I might say so myself. I guess Sony's defenition of a full HD experience is diffrent from what MS thinks...

Lmao is all I can say.

evilchris
10-20-06, 12:48 PM
Preety amusing if I might say so myself. I guess Sony's defenition of a full HD experience is diffrent from what MS thinks...

Lmao is all I can say.

Yes, TruHD!!! 720p and 1080i = half HD. 1080p = TRUHD!!!

MustangSVT
10-20-06, 01:02 PM
Not really a fair comparison though. Here's a fairer one.

PS3 "Core"
* $499
* 20 GB HDD
* Blu-Ray playback
* Talladega Nights Blu-Ray?? ($25 value,not sure if this is "premium" version only or whatever)
* wired controller? (not sure if only $600 one comes with wireless, someone correct me)

+ ?? $ for hi-def cables (not sure if comes with component, we'll wait and see)

Xbox 360 "Premium" PGR3 package
* $399
* 20 GB HDD
* free PGR3 game ($50)
* component cables
* wireless controller
* Xbox Live headset

+ $199 for HD-DVD add-on
* HD-DVD playback
* King Kong ($25 value)

$500 ($25 extra stuff) vs $600 ($75 extra stuff)

Getting stuck with Blu-ray playback, priceless.

Marvel_us
10-20-06, 01:08 PM
I don't really see how it's fair to compare PS3 core to Xbox360 Premium but ok...:eek2:

Regarding your unsure bullet points.

*All US launch units come with Talladega Nights BD.
*All PS3 units have wireless controllers
*HD cables will need to be bought seperately for PS3.

Tikiman44
10-20-06, 01:17 PM
:tiki: I really hate Sony. It seems they do everything in their power to continue my disgust.

Why don't they just shut up and let their "awesome" console do the talking.

evilchris
10-20-06, 01:18 PM
:tiki: I really hate Sony. It seems they do everything in their power to continue my disgust.

Why don't they just shut up and let their "awesome" console do the talking.

They always overhype their **** and then it comes out you're like " that's it? "