PDA

View Full Version : to raid or not to raid?

nekrosoft13
10-20-06, 08:17 AM
to raid or not to raid?

my current set up in main PC is

1x320GB Seagate 7200.10 sataII
2x250GB Hitachi T7K250 sataII

and one
defective 320gb Seagate 7200.10 (soon to be replaced)

i got that new (dead) seagate in hopes of moving data from one off the hitachi, then later moving the data off the second hitachi, and setting up raid on the hitachi drives.

I was wondering how reliable raid 0 is? I did set up raid before but never at home.

from personal experience, how reliable can it be, how often do you end up with everything lost?

dsessom
10-20-06, 08:50 AM
RAID-0 is for performance, not redundancy so it is only reliable as your least reliable drive in the array. As a rule of thumb, the average hard drive will last about 3 years.
I wouldn't store anything on a RAID-0 array that I couldn't do without because sooner or later, the array WILL fail, or the motherboard will fail, etc.
If the mobo fails, your RAID array is probably lost.

lightman
10-20-06, 09:21 AM
Raid-0 is definetely unreliable.
With one drive you have x probability of it having a problem in, say, 3 yrs. With two in raid-0, you have twice the probability.

Let's put it this way. If you have 20 computers (say, a cluster), your probability of having one computer having a problem is 20x higher than if you had only one. That is, the MTBF is divided by the number of computers (in the case of the cluster) or HD (in the case of RAID-0).

nekrosoft13
10-20-06, 09:37 AM
i know raid-0 is the least reliable, i did set up raid-0 for few people before, i did warn them about possible data loss, some didn't care.

with two drives i only have raid-0 or raid-1 to choose from, right?

raid-0 = not reliable, fastest, pretty much size fo disk add up.
raid-1 = reliable, only read speed faster, size of disk shrink (2 250 = 1 250)

another question, once vista comes out and i get my replacement 7200.10, i never tried making a raid from a current drive.

my primary drive is 7200.10 (320gb) can i add another 7200.10 (320gb) and set up raid-1 with out deleting the current data? and let raid just mirror it self to the second drive?

BrianG
10-20-06, 09:38 AM
You have drives to ba able to do data dumps, even set up a RAID1 for the really important stuff. So store your music, photos, etc. on a RAID1 array. Otherwise, slap it on the RAID0 array and enjoy the free increase in throughput. I have been dumping photos and backing up my music on a third drive since setting up the RAID. Sure helps on clean system installs to have the latest and greatest drivers pre-saved a SATA connection away.

I have been using a RAID0 array for many years now and I just don't know why everyone is so affeared of it. I even had to replace a mobo (both were nForce4) and was able to rebuild an array. Well worth it, IMHO.

Just remember to manually set the stripe to 32K or 64K. I have tried both, but my current combo of x64 and a 32K stripe has yielded some seriously quick boot times.

lightman
10-20-06, 09:39 AM
my primary drive is 7200.10 (320gb) can i add another 7200.10 (320gb) and set up raid-1 with out deleting the current data? and let raid just mirror it self to the second drive?

Usually, yes. But it could depend on the controller, and on the software. I never tried it under windows, so I can't really tell, but I would expect you to be able to...

lightman
10-20-06, 09:42 AM
I have been using a RAID0 array for many years now and I just don't know why everyone is so affeared of it.

I don't think anyone fears it, I was just pointing out the (undeniable) associated higher risks of data loss. :)

nekrosoft13
10-20-06, 09:45 AM
seagates will stay on nforce4 sata controller

while hitachi i will probably move to silicon image 3114 onboard controller.

that damn 3114 doesn't supprt optical drives

other two nforce4 sata ports i will use for my pioneer dvr-111L and benq DW1655 (both on ide to sata converter boards)

SLippe
10-20-06, 10:23 PM
I love my RAID 0 setup. Glad I did it. If I can find another one of these HDDs (WD) I may put a RAID 0 +1 setup. Would I have to completely start fresh though? Sorry for the hijack.

Bman212121
10-20-06, 10:45 PM
I don't think anyone fears it, I was just pointing out the (undeniable) associated higher risks of data loss. :)

I'm really anal about losing things, so I really don't consider Raid 1 being enough. I'd rather keep a copy of the data in another pc on another drive. I usually have a removable drive with the stuff I couldn't afford to lose. So when a freak accident happens and someone pushes my pc off the table while it is running and both HD's in the pc crash, the really important stuff isn't lost.