PDA

View Full Version : PSP firmware 2.71 w/homebrew!!! (and more)

Shamrock
10-21-06, 03:27 AM
All this PS3 hoopla, and people have forgotten the PSP. Well, Now Dark_AleX has released a downgrader (to 1.5) and a custom 2.71 firmware!

Downgrader
http://pspupdates.qj.net/tags/downgrader/814
(you cant downgrade past 2.50 if you have motherboard TA-082)

Custom firmware
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-71-Custom-Firmware-SE-A-released-by-Dark-AleX-/pg/49/aid/68625
(again, do not use this if you have mobo TA-082)

Disclaimer:
This CAN brick your PSP if you do this, slim chance, but you CAN! However, the downgrader has a "recovery" feature. If you brick it, just hold right trigger while booting up. This is worthy to have just for this feature!

NOTE:
TO use the custom firmware you HAVE to have version 1.5 (hence why the downgrader).

msxyz
10-21-06, 04:27 AM
I'm costantly tempted to get a PSP now that price is gone down and sold with a nice 1GB flash, but only to install some emulators. But how can I be sure I won't buy a machine that won't be "unlockable" to play homebrew ?

I don't want to risk getting stuck with a machine I'm not going to use.

Shamrock
10-21-06, 05:03 AM
it shows you how to look for it, on one of those links, but it's little copper writing on the inside of the UMD door. You can see the mobo. Look on the mobo, if the copper writing is on the left, it's ok, if it's on the right, you cant run much homebrew (it's mobo TA-082)

ALl new PSP's have the new mobo, so it would be best to look on ebay.

msxyz
10-21-06, 09:37 AM
Thanks. So it's either getting a used machine from ebay or winning a lottery :( Can't say I love too much both options.

Edge
10-21-06, 04:53 PM
Thanks. So it's either getting a used machine from ebay or winning a lottery :( Can't say I love too much both options.
Pawn shops are also an option. My local Pawn America has several of them for $180 used I believe. I'm sure they'd let you check any of them in the store and you can see which have what firmware and motherboard on them. Granted, there's always the risk of the machine crapping out earlier than a retail one and not having a warranty with it, but at least you can have it in your hands and verify it works before you buy it that way.

Stoneyguy
10-21-06, 05:11 PM
I'm costantly tempted to get a PSP now that price is gone down and sold with a nice 1GB flash, but only to install some emulators. But how can I be sure I won't buy a machine that won't be "unlockable" to play homebrew ?

I don't want to risk getting stuck with a machine I'm not going to use.

I'm sure eventually whatever firmware you have will be cracked.

sirplayalot
10-21-06, 08:53 PM
I'm sure eventually whatever firmware you have will be cracked.

This is true. Just stop upgrading when Sony releases new firmwares and your firmware will eventually be cracked!

|MaguS|
10-21-06, 08:56 PM
This is true. Just stop upgrading when Sony releases new firmwares and your firmware will eventually be cracked!

Yay so wait months to playt he game I want to play now! WOOOHOOO!

Sorry I could give two ****s about homebrew now on the PSP, so many great games that I don't want to miss out on.

Killzone and Rachet and Crank are amazing!

Edge
10-21-06, 10:29 PM
Sorry I could give two ****s about homebrew now on the PSP, so many great games that I don't want to miss out on.
The problem with the PSP is that great games are few and far between. I can certainly see why people would prefer to use it as a media player/emulation machine than to be able to play 1 or 2 new games right when they're released.

As big of a R&C fan as I am, I'd rather wait to play it than lose major features.

shungokusatsu
10-22-06, 01:53 AM
Firmware 3.00 is coming right before the 17th.

Shamrock
10-22-06, 04:44 AM
Firmware 3.00 is coming right before the 17th.

Yes, and it's rumored to have an emulator for PS1 games :D

I am pretty sure it will also have a feature to communicate with PS3 as well.