PDA

View Full Version : BF2142 GT Video Review

Gaco
10-21-06, 07:23 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14247&type=wmv&pl=game

I don't know about you, but it doesn't sound half as bad as I expected. I'm still not buying it, but I can certainly understand if some will, depite that lack of innovation, technical advancements and they're willing to accept the inbuild adsurvey thing. I somehow think GT gave BF2142 a fair treatment, although the majority of the gamer community will not be so forgiving..

CaptNKILL
10-21-06, 07:54 AM
Eh, I can already tell what people are going to think of this. Its the same infectious gameplay thats hard to hate but it probably has all of the same problems and down sides as the past games, as well as the new retarded advertising thing. I think the reviews will reflect that.

Its going to get slightly above average reviews and probably sell well enough for them to keep milking the franchise.

I didnt think it was bad in the beta, but I wouldnt pay $50 for it, especially not after the whole advertising fiasco.

I think if they had waited a year to release this and spent the time enhancing the graphics (and the DRAW DISTANCE :rolleyes: ) as well as tweaking the gameplay and fixing bugs... and of course not adding the advertising... it probably would have probably been an awesome game. Right now its just a decent shooter with a really really bad reputation and a stupid ad system.

ArrowMk84
10-21-06, 07:57 AM
BF2142 is a fun game. Granted, it's nothing earth shattering. The maps playbetter than BF2, and I like the weapons alot more (they actually feel leathel, unlike BF2's pop-guns), and the unlock system is far superior. I think they should sell the game for $10 less, but I'm not too hung up on that.

Stoneyguy
10-21-06, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the link! Well I ordered it. Should be coming in a few days.

The whole advert thing really doesn't bug me beyond the fact that they are using system resource and bandwith for it when the game is a hog already.

The whole thing of people calling it a 50 dollar MOD doesn't bother me either considering I never bought BF2. For me it is a whole new game.

CaptNKILL
10-21-06, 08:04 AM
I think the value of the game drops tremendously with mods like PoE2 available for BF2. Its an excellent mod and its the only thing I play online anymore.

If this ever drops to the bargain bin and someone cuts the ads out of it, I'll probably get it. :p

brownstone
10-21-06, 09:06 AM
Well if u look at the http://www.totalbf2142.com forums, ppl r still having disconnecting issues in retail, just like the demo.

I have these problems with the Demo as well. Sometimes I can only play for 3 mins before getting disconnected and other times (rarely) I can play for 30+min.

Basically I don't see EA fixing this issue anytime soon. Now some people are not experiencing these problems. Maybe its a location thing, but im not gonna get this game.

Yes its fun when ur playing, but I know its gonna get frustrating real quick just trying to finish a round.

CaptNKILL
10-21-06, 09:11 AM
Well if u look at the http://www.totalbf2142.com forums, ppl r still having disconnecting issues in retail, just like the demo.

I have these problems with the Demo as well. Sometimes I can only play for 3 mins before getting disconnected and other times (rarely) I can play for 30+min.

Basically I don't see EA fixing this issue anytime soon. So there is no point wasting money on a game that doesn't really work.
I had the same problem with BF2 until I had a cable technician replace some of our lines and I manually updated punk buster with the pbsetup program you can get from their website.

I dont know which of the two fixed it but before that I could NOT play the game at all online without getting random disconnects, just like you.

Now, I have yet to have a single disconnect in months.

Q!Shambler!Q
10-21-06, 09:17 AM
Battlefield 2 sucked. I can usually cope with computer games, but that one I uninstalled not long after playing it. if it's going to be big slow and chunky then the gameplay needs to be special.

Stoneyguy
10-21-06, 09:38 AM
Battlefield 2 sucked. I can usually cope with computer games, but that one I uninstalled not long after playing it. if it's going to be big slow and chunky then the gameplay needs to be special.

You might want to give the demo for 2142 a try then. The maps are smaller and action is almost instant. I can't speak for the game itself, but if the demo is any indication then 2142 should be full of constant action.

brownstone
10-21-06, 09:51 AM
I had the same problem with BF2 until I had a cable technician replace some of our lines and I manually updated punk buster with the pbsetup program you can get from their website.

I dont know which of the two fixed it but before that I could NOT play the game at all online without getting random disconnects, just like you.

Now, I have yet to have a single disconnect in months.

Hey thx man! I think that pbsetup.exe may have actually fixed it. It was my first time trying today so it could just be EA are having a good day. Played for about 15mins.

CaptNKILL
10-21-06, 09:56 AM
Hey thx man! I think that pbsetup.exe may have actually fixed it. It was my first time trying today so it could just be EA are having a good day. Played for about 15mins.
Cool, I hope it helps. :)

BTW, spread the word! These games have enough problems without punk buster getting in the way.

Apollo 13
10-21-06, 10:52 AM
have you any of you seen gamespy's stats? BF2142 will be ahead of BF2 in a few weeks in no time or maybe even less. http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/ so IMO the gaming comminity is loving it.

UDawg
10-21-06, 04:00 PM
Eh, I can already tell what people are going to think of this. Its the same infectious gameplay thats hard to hate but it probably has all of the same problems and down sides as the past games, as well as the new retarded advertising thing. I think the reviews will reflect that.
BINGO!

I did break down and buy it. The two buddies that I play on line with on vent said they were hooked so I kinda had no choice right now. After 4 ranks I am hooked on the game. The problems as you said are still there. The video review is also spot on.

1. It is hard to tell when you really hit some one. They need to give the bullet impact a better feel so you get a better sense of your targeting. A simple blood spurt mod will fix this.
2. Laying a full clip into some one and they dont' die. Then they turn around and hit you with one shot. Not cool.
3. This goes with number two. The netcode is CRAP ONCE AGAIN! The same damn problem every release that Dice has. It takes them 4 patches to get it to a bearable status.
4. This is a new one. The hover tanks sucks crooked donkey peeners.
5. Many of the vehicles are over powered at least at this point.

Yes all those still suck but it is a fun game.

BTW my gamer tag is Apocolypscow

Stoneyguy
10-21-06, 04:09 PM
BTW my gamer tag is Apocolypscow
:lol2: That's awesome! :lol2:

fugu_fish
10-23-06, 09:34 AM
I'm a total hypocrite because I ranted about about the game like everyone else but then I started liking the demo...

I bought the full game on Friday...and I'm enjoying it.

Same feelings about how great the game could have been... but I still enjoy it and the unlocks gave the game a whole new feel.. Some of the maps are cool, too. 64 player urban combat is insane.

My first Titan game I expected to waltz onto the enemy Titan and blow the consoles but sentry guns and AP mines changed all that. Now you need to coordinate offense to break through to blow the reactor.