PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem XP freezes after system was off for several hours after ....

egyteam
10-22-06, 01:36 PM
XP freezes after system was off for several hours upgrading to Soundblaster Xfi xtreme music:

I have a weird problem I am unable to fix. I had a system that was running stable before I upgraded to a Soundblaster Xfi card.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G, Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2, 1 GB PC 3200, XFX Geforce 7600GT, 80 GB system drive Barracuda 7200, Sata Raid 2x 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax10, PSU Seasonic 600W, Ralink Wireless PCI card, Sony floppy, Pioneer DVR 111

After the installation of the new soundcard I could reboot initially but not reboot when I used the PC a few hours/next day later. The blue XP indicator bar would freeze. Tried several re-installs. Then I re-installed everything including XP from the beginning. When re-installing the graphics card driver (old and latest version) system would hang with a blinking cursor.

I also updated BIOS successfully to F6. Full re-installation -everything seemed to work. Re-booted several times- OK. Booted a few hours later- XP freezes when blue indicator bar has ben running for a few seconds.

I have now the latest drivers for both soundcard, graphics card, BIOS and latest DirectX installed. I cannot understand why the system would reboot immediately after installation but freeze a few hours later. Is this some kind of hardware problem ?

my friend and I using same components and we both have same problem!!

between REMOVING the X-Fi card solves the problem

grey_1
10-22-06, 02:13 PM
Have you tried removing your x-fi? I know some have had major problems with either the card or the drivers or both. I'd uninstall the drivers and pull the card. If that gets your rig stable again it's definetly your card, or drivers or a setting for the card etc.

Hope you get it worked out!

egyteam
10-22-06, 02:28 PM
yes, removing the X-Fi solves the problem

between this x-fi card is working properly on my other rig in the sign

newls1
10-22-06, 03:50 PM
OK, I've been here before, along with 1000's of other people who were unlucky like you that had a picky XF-i cards.
The first and formost important thing here is MAKE SURE THE XF-i card is using an IRQ for itself, in otherwords, XF-i isnt sharing IRQ's with anything.
Second: Go to run, type "msconfig" go to the startup tab, and see if you have a file called "DLLML" checked in, if so DISABLE IT!, this seemed to help me some.

This is why I keep telling myself I WILL NEVER BUY A CREATIVE PRODUCT AGAIN. There drivers are so "FULL OF CRAP" that it can actually screw up a system. I hope this was some help to you, let me know.

egyteam
10-22-06, 03:56 PM
I tried to install the card on different pci slots and still same problem.

also the problem happen if just I have the X-fi card plugged in the motherbard with no x-fi driver installed, it still lockup windows - I have to remove the card completely from the mobo to make it boot

newls1
10-22-06, 04:02 PM
I tried to install the card on different pci slots and still same problem.

also the problem happen if just I have the X-fi card plugged in the motherbard with no x-fi driver installed, it still lockup windows - I have to remove the card completely from the mobo to make it boot
This sounds like an IRQ sharing issue. People tell me that XP CAN SHARE IRQ's , I dont belive it. When I had my SLI 7800GT's last year, 1 of my cards shared IRQ 18 with my XF-i and windows would BSOD on me all the time at odd times, even when going on the internet, and sometimes it would take hours for it to BSOB, but it would. EVGA took the time on the phone with me to FORCE windows to use another MADE UP IRQ for the graphics card to use, BOOM, problem fixed:)

egyteam
10-22-06, 05:10 PM
how to FORCE windows to use another MADE UP IRQ for the sound card ?

newls1
10-22-06, 07:36 PM
how to FORCE windows to use another MADE UP IRQ for the sound card ?
Is your sound card sharing IRQ's first off? You dont want to do this unless that is your issue. To force IRQ's, your BIOS has to have these options in it. When I did this I was using a DFI SLi DR board, and with the 704-2bta BIOS I could make IRQ's 9-14 only if I remember right.

exemplar
10-22-06, 11:47 PM
Generally it's something you have to do from the BIOS. I would suggest pulling out your Manual for your mo-board if you have it handy. As well does your X-Fi card have a required power lead you need to plug in. If so is it plugged in? As well I might check for BIOS updates for your mainboard. Also i would probably suggest searching for issues with the X-Fi and your mainboard specifically. Just do a google search see if it's a common problem with the hardware you're using.
Just a thought.

Though from what I understand modern PC's should have no problem at all sharing IRQ's

-exemp

exemplar
10-22-06, 11:48 PM
As well can you see what the Amperage is on the +5v line on your powersupply?

dmann304
10-23-06, 01:22 AM
This is a problem that has been plaguing people for quite some time now.

Its something to do with boards that have pci-ex and pci sharing same resources. Ive done some heavy investigation into this and frankly theire is no harden fix for it.

Its simple do not share irq's like many have said. But thats impossible for those with asus nforce 4 based boards. ASUS doesn't recognize this as being serious, so take it with a grain of salt and keep experimenting til you find it to work or just use onboard nforce adio. Its not bad at all.

I hope it has been resolved through Creative cuz i haven't used an XFI for months now but i do admit i get some strange sounds from time to time with my Audigy 2ZS and unfortanately it shares resources with the 2nd GPU in my system.

egyteam
10-23-06, 11:37 AM
f I just plug in the sound card X-Fi XM into the mobo, I have the problem, even before I install the sound card driver, . the sound card prevent me to install the graphic card driver. it gives me black screen in the middle of installation. I have to reset. and then the loading bar`s splach screen lockup, I have to login into safemade and either "uninstall graphic card driver" or "disable the sound card"/ uninstalling sound card driver doesn`t help, i have to disable it to be able to boot in normal mode. The lockup problem only happen on coldboot after leaving the pc off for 10 min. ----------------- my motherboard has builtin VGA, if I remove the 7600GT and enable the built in VGA, I have no problem and I can install both vga card and x-fi driver without problems. The X-Fi card was working fine on my old rig nforce 3 mobo and xfx geforce 6800. and now I removed the x-Fi card from the motherboard and using the built in sound with the 7600gt and no problem, I really don`t know where the problem, is it vga card bios problem or the x-fi or the motherboard itself

I found same problem with someone else when I was googling the problem:
http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=270263

dmann304
10-23-06, 12:55 PM
From that other thread, it seems Creative has not got off their but and fixed this terrifying issue.

No Xfi's for me i see. Sticking with the audigy for now untill they fix their crap.