PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with networking....

ViN86
10-22-06, 01:14 PM
hey guys

im going to be wiring a large house (about 35 guys, but a total of 50 connections for all rooms) and i need some suggestions about how to do it. the largest cable should be about 50-70 feet long and i plan to wire it all by hand. now for the questions.

should i go with cat5 or cat6 cable? for a 1000' roll, the difference in price is only about $20. should i go gigabit or leave it 100 megabit?

also, i plan on setting up a server to run on the network. this server will be used to host files. i was thinking about getting two of these:
Asus Switch (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833320404)
both of them will run into a router which will then run into the web. the server will be plugged into one of the gigabit ports, so it doesnt get slowed down.

any recommendations? maybe i should run a diff setup?

stncttr908
10-22-06, 01:29 PM
Cat5e will operate at Gigabit speeds.

ViN86
10-22-06, 01:47 PM
so the only difference between cat5 and cat6 is the speed it operates at (350MHz vs. 500MHz) ? so is it even worth it?

spoop
10-22-06, 05:05 PM
If the price difference is only $20, I would go with the cat6.

mullet
10-22-06, 11:07 PM
Cat5e has more twist per foot which helps more with cross talk plus can do Gb speeds I would choose Cat5e, the extra money is well worth it.

ViN86
10-23-06, 10:28 AM
k im goin to go with cat5e. should i go with a managed switch or an unmanaged?

dsessom
10-23-06, 11:23 AM
Why not go wireless G, with an unmanaged switch and a couple APs?
Sure would save a lot of wiring...

retsam
10-23-06, 03:43 PM
k im goin to go with cat5e. should i go with a managed switch or an unmanaged?
i would go with cat6 with a managed switch, this way if you have a user using all the bandwidth up you can use QOS controls to slow him down if need be. cat6 has a heavyer gage wire and more twists to prevent crosstalk and can support higher speeds if need be(10 gigs).

ViN86
10-23-06, 05:37 PM
Why not go wireless G, with an unmanaged switch and a couple APs?
Sure would save a lot of wiring...
there is already a wireless G network in place. however it is often slow and overloaded. we want to put in a wired system to replace the one that was removed before the semester started.

CAT6 and a managed switch? hmm, i found some cat6 wire on newegg. it was $99 for 1000'. i might go with that and that asus managed switch to limit connection speed if someone is flooding it.

we are hoping to implement a server and plug it in through one of the gigabit ports on the switch. the server will be primarily used for external storage, including school files and media.

there is one problem though. we have an older switch already. i was planning on piggy-backing the old one off of the new one. there are about 16 ports that will be running off the old one. will they notice much of a bandwidth hit or no?

retsam
10-24-06, 06:16 AM
will they notice much of a bandwidth hit or no?no, not at all. what i would do right off the bat is do this....port/wan_port_bandwidth=port_rate_per_port....so say you have a 50 meg internet connection. i would then take 50 and devide it by the amount of users on your network and get the bandwidth per port. you can even do it by protocal. so you can rate limit each protocal individially. so you could give each port a 1 meg http limit and a 2 meg ftp limit and then give the rest of the protocals a 3 meg limit but your internal politics could play a role here.

ViN86
10-24-06, 03:40 PM
yea i thought about doing that, however will that limit affect the connection rate with the server i plan to implement?

i dont want to restrict their connection for the internet, then end up slowing their connection to the server. the server will be designed to alleviate much of the internet traffic, so if ppl want media they can access the server and not tie up the internet connection. the server will be accessed only by those on the network.

is it possible to limit the connection to one port (the port with the modem coming in) and allow the network users to access each other's computers without limitation?

i wish i knew how to program networks... maybe third party software is available.

retsam
10-25-06, 05:40 AM
yea i thought about doing that, however will that limit affect the connection rate with the server i plan to implement?

i dont want to restrict their connection for the internet, then end up slowing their connection to the server. the server will be designed to alleviate much of the internet traffic, so if ppl want media they can access the server and not tie up the internet connection. the server will be accessed only by those on the network.

is it possible to limit the connection to one port (the port with the modem coming in) and allow the network users to access each other's computers without limitation?

i wish i knew how to program networks... maybe third party software is available.if you implement your rate limits on the port going out to the internet it shouldnt hurt anything at all as long as you target spacific protocals. if i was you i would call around to some of the switch companies(cisco, netgear ect ect) at tell them what it is your tryint todo and what your budget is and they should help you pick a switch that is sutted to your needs.

ViN86
10-25-06, 02:47 PM
as for a router (which the switch or switches will be plugged into), do you have any recommendations specifically? there any routers that handle large amounts of traffic better than others?

i was thinking about just getting a regular linksys router to take care of the connections, but figured if that isnt the best, then i should just go with what it and save costs down the line.

retsam
10-25-06, 07:47 PM
as for a router (which the switch or switches will be plugged into), do you have any recommendations specifically? there any routers that handle large amounts of traffic better than others?

i was thinking about just getting a regular linksys router to take care of the connections, but figured if that isnt the best, then i should just go with what it and save costs down the line.
actually you can get a layer 7 switch which will do routing also. if i was you, you might need someone that can program routers/switches to get the job done. my prefrence is cisco but i also like juniper but we are talking about 50k for a router. what is your budget anyways...i really cant give you an answer unless without it.

ViN86
10-26-06, 11:48 AM
$300 hahaha

thats why im goin with a switch ($100) and a router. thats also why i was wondering what router to get. i want one that can easily handle 30+ IP addresses and the traffic that goes with it.

i already bought the cable, connectors, and wall plates. that was about $180 for enough to do about 22-25 rooms.

retsam
10-27-06, 12:21 PM
$300 hahaha

thats why im goin with a switch ($100) and a router. thats also why i was wondering what router to get. i want one that can easily handle 30+ IP addresses and the traffic that goes with it.

i already bought the cable, connectors, and wall plates. that was about $180 for enough to do about 22-25 rooms. go for a linksys router (which can be had for 30$) and an unmanaged switch.just make sure the router has QOS, some don't.

here is a switch that i found on e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NETGEAR-JFS524-24-Port-Unmanaged-10-100-Network-Switch_W0QQitemZ260045718978QQihZ016QQcategoryZ512 66QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

since the QOS controls are on the router, it shouldn't effect your server throughput at all.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-27-06, 01:02 PM
have you considered going with a wireless N router? Plenty of bandwidth and alot more coverage. Backwards compatible with G:)

stncttr908
10-27-06, 01:36 PM
I'd avoid N until the final standard is ratified.

Imbroglio
10-27-06, 03:22 PM
yea, just read an article on how poorly N is doing. most of the "N" routers don't even hit N spec speeds, and the ones that do don't offer half the coverage of G areas. N will be good once it gets all straightened out, key emphasis on will

LORD-eX-Bu
10-27-06, 10:33 PM
wireless N? pfffft... I meant wireless M:bleh:

ViN86
10-29-06, 01:46 PM
go for a linksys router (which can be had for 30$) and an unmanaged switch.just make sure the router has QOS, some don't.

here is a switch that i found on e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NETGEAR-JFS524-24-Port-Unmanaged-10-100-Network-Switch_W0QQitemZ260045718978QQihZ016QQcategoryZ512 66QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

since the QOS controls are on the router, it shouldn't effect your server throughput at all.
cool

good call on that cat5e hittin gigabit btw.

i bought 2000' of cat5e from some mom and pop computer store here in the city and it actually turned out to be pretty good stuff. it says "Certified for Gigabit" on it, which impressed me :D

not only that, but i managed to get 100 RJ45 plugs for $15 lol. for $250 i got 2000' of cat5e cable, 100 RJ45 plugs, and 30 boxes for each room to plug the cable into. i cant believe it cost me that little.

regarding QoS, does it take into consideration the down bandwidth or only the up? cause one of the wireless routers i have now has QoS and you can only specify the upstream. :confused:

retsam
10-29-06, 02:30 PM
regarding QoS, does it take into consideration the down bandwidth or only the up? cause one of the wireless routers i have now has QoS and you can only specify the upstream. :confused:
QOS can work independantly on up or down stream bandwidth. ive seen some routers only work on both at the same time.. so becarefull.