PDA

View Full Version : Does AMD AM2 work with DDR2 RAM?

Capt. Picard
10-22-06, 04:03 PM
Does AMD AM2 work with DDR2 RAM?

Are there any other things I should take into account regarding other hardware with the AM2?

Bearclaw
10-22-06, 04:17 PM
Does AMD AM2 work with DDR2 RAM?

Are there any other things I should take into account regarding other hardware with the AM2?
Yes, AM2 is made for DDR2 so if you are planning on upgrading then you need to plan on getting RAM as well. Although, I recently noticed that some mobo's for core2 can handle ddr memory so that might be the case with a few AM2 boards. Check around newegg and see what you find.

superklye
10-22-06, 04:21 PM
AM2's cannot use DDR memory because the memory controller is on the CPU. It's hardwired and cannot be changed. Whereas, Intel chips have the memory controllers on the motherboard and the processor can use whatever the motherboard supports.

Dazz
10-22-06, 04:22 PM
Really howcome the ASROCK boards have DDR-1 for AM2?

Bearclaw
10-22-06, 04:48 PM
That's what I was trying to talk about earlier...I saw that they have a baord for it for Core2 and figured they might have one for AM2.

Daydre@m
10-22-06, 05:01 PM
AM2 is just a 939 processor with on-chip DDR2 controller .....

Regarding Asrock I think it uses some type of translation chip to emulate the DDR2 signals and make them work with DDR ( just my theory ) which might give some problems incase AMD made some memory controller refreash ... So I would suggest going with a fully certified AM2 motherboard. If you can afford DDR2 memory then you should buy and use it instead of using the way around.. If you dont want to waste money / use your old DD1 memory , then it might be a good idea to use that motherboard. Like I am using this Asrock Dual VSTA for Pentium D to use my existing DDR1 memory but its not using some emulation ( because the Pentium D's dont have an on chip memory controller ) . Its using a northbridge to control both DDR1 or DDR2 memory signals ( and I can use only one type at a time , so its basicially detecting memory and using some type of switch between both DDR1 / DDR2 controllers .... I think).

superklye
10-22-06, 05:36 PM
Then it's a hack to trick the CPU into thinking that the DDR is DDR2 and will likely cause a big slowdown.

AM2 CPUs do NOT support DDR1 natively and using it with an AM2 via a second external memory controller on the mobo is only going to hurt performance.

CaptNKILL
10-22-06, 06:23 PM
Actually, I think thats the one thing they dont make is an AM2 board with DDR 1.

I thought they did, but I cant seem to find one anywhere.

nekrosoft13
10-22-06, 07:00 PM
AM2 is just a 939 processor with on-chip DDR2 controller .....

nope, AM2 is 940 pin

Daydre@m
10-22-06, 07:29 PM
nope, AM2 is 940 pin
I was talking about the architecture , sorry for not elaborating ... yes its 940 pin thats why its a socket change . Also its kind of a unification of bases of all the processors from AMD on all levels ( from high end to low end ) .