PDA

View Full Version : Sony vs Samsung (LCD Shootout)

six_storm
10-22-06, 08:36 PM
Hey all. Just wondering what you guys thought:

Sony 32" Bravia KDL-32S2010 (Link (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-32-BRAVIA-S-Series-LCD-HDTV-KDL-32S2000/sem/rpsm/oid/146423/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)) vs Samsung 32" LN-S3251D (Link (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-32-LCD-HDTV-LN-S3251D/sem/rpsm/oid/145931/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do))

Trying to decide between these two quality LCDs since they are a good name brand and they should fit my budget range around the Christmas holiday. Any comments will be appreciated.

rflair
10-22-06, 08:54 PM
On the specs the Samsung is better, 4000:1 contrast ratio is great.

crainger
10-22-06, 09:00 PM
I have been reading a lot of good press about the Sony. I'd say it would be the better buy. Has some nice features too. Like screen freeze. Though if you are running a STB with recording or a HTPC, then having that feature on the TV itself isn't so important.

crainger
10-22-06, 09:01 PM
On the specs the Samsung is better, 4000:1 contrast ratio is great.

Don't they use some sort of trickery to reach that claim. I'm guessing the actual ratio is closer to 800:1...

MustangSVT
10-22-06, 09:01 PM
Sony are overrated and overpriced. I'm willing to wager that the Samsung is probably a better LCD.

nekrosoft13
10-22-06, 09:12 PM
samsung

Roadhog
10-22-06, 09:15 PM
Sony are overrated and overpriced. I'm willing to wager that the Samsung is probably a better LCD.

QFT

Heinz68
10-22-06, 09:59 PM
Both are 720p, maximum resolution 1366 x 768 in my opinion not best choice for PC monitor:thumbdwn: Which I believe this forum is about.
If they were 1080p I would buy either of them or probably the Samsung due to the 4,000:1 contrast ratio.
Now when I think about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the $400 extra cost. Would have to see and compare.

Even If the monitor was for TV use only I would not buy anything less than 1080p, all future HD DVDs are going to be 1080p, I'm talking about both formats.

MustangSVT
10-22-06, 11:11 PM
The only 1080p LCD in his range is the Westy 37" (or maybe the 32").

BTW, to the original poster, if you have the room, you can get a 56" JVC LCoS 720p for really cheap nowadays ($1900) or a 56" Samsung DLP 1080p for around $2500. I'm assuming you prolly don't have the space (or the money).

six_storm
10-23-06, 01:05 AM
Both are 720p, maximum resolution 1366 x 768 in my opinion not best choice for PC monitor:thumbdwn: Which I believe this forum is about.
If they were 1080p I would buy either of them or probably the Samsung due to the 4,000:1 contrast ratio.
Now when I think about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the $400 extra cost. Would have to see and compare.

Even If the monitor was for TV use only I would not buy anything less than 1080p, all future HD DVDs are going to be 1080p, I'm talking about both formats.

Guess I should've said that I will only be using this for movies and XBOX 360 gaming, no Pee Cee stuff here :D. Anyways, I've been researching for a good while now for TVs and I've found a few things to be clear:

- 1080p is great, but since this will be my first HDTV, it won't make that much of a difference to me. I just don't see the absolute need in it as of anytime in the near future. A good 720p/1080i set will do me just fine.

- I would go with Westinghouse, but after doing some extensive research, there are still a lot of defective sets going out on the 37w3. I would feel 100% better to just get a Sammy or Sony, know I'm getting a good quality product and go on with my life.

- I'm going LCD. Rear projection TVs are ok, the only thing that gets me is that I've heard that parts have to be replaced after 1 or 2 years and the viewing angles from the sides are just horrible. A 50" DLP would be sweet for the same amount of money, but I'd rather have a LCD with a sharper and clearer picture. Plasma is just a waste of money IMO due to short lifespan and possibility of burn-in.

- I'll be buying my TV from Best Buy, due to great prices and a great price on the warranty. I gotta have the warranty. This is the only thing about buying online, there aren't any good warranties out there. Also, I would hate to have to ship stuff when I could just take it up the road a bit and switch out TVs within one hour.

- Contrast ratio is important, however, I've heard multiple times that Samsung is basically lying about this one (4000:1). A guy told me once that CR is important, but if another TV looks just as good as the Samsung with a high CR, you know something is up. Make sense?

- The two TVs above look amazing; about the same quality on each set. I would be happy with either one (since they are at the same price).

- 32" would be a perfect size LCD due to my apartment and viewing distance. Of course, a bigger TV would be better but it's not necessary.

Guess that's all I gotta say lol. Sorry so much. Thanks for your opinions guys.

FlashGordon
10-23-06, 02:17 PM
Don't think you can go wrong with either one. Actually, I think the flat panels used in the Samsung and Sony are made in the same plant. Sony and Samsung have some sort of manufacturing alliance, kind of like LG-Philips. I wouldn't go by the contrast ratio as a factor as there is no standardized method to measure the contrast, so each manufacturer measures it differently.

MustangSVT
10-23-06, 03:38 PM
What will your viewing distance be? Indeed the problem with modern DLP (and LCOS) sets is that you have to replace the lamp after oh so long and viewing angles aren't too great (though they have improved quite a lot and they're not as bad as a rear projection CRT). The contrast of the Samsung is prolly more like 1000-1500:1 rather than 4000:1. I don't even know of an actual TV that has 4000:1 except maybe a high end Sony or JVC LCoS or high end Sony bravia lcd set.

I was saying go with the Samsung because generally Sony are overpriced and overrated. The West w3 is a nice LCD, but I have heard of defects too, so if you're willing to take a chance, you could always return the set. Anyway, your choice.

I was recommending the rear projection (either the newest Samsung DLP or a JVC LCoS like I have) since Best Buy carry them and the size factor makes a difference imo (much more immersive). For example, I watch my 52" at 9 feet and feel I shoulda gone with a 61" set.

six_storm
10-23-06, 04:24 PM
My viewing distance will be from 4-6" away so a 32" LCD would be perfect. I was looking into a DLP projector TV but the viewing angle and the replacment parts would be a hassle for me. I guess my decision is down to either the Sammy or Sony models above, just depends on the price between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

six_storm
10-25-06, 08:16 AM
I talked to a guy from Crutchfield for about an hour yesterday afternoon and we got down to the Sony and Sammy specified above. He said that he would go the Samsung route just because I was gaming with the 360; customers were really happy with Game Mode on the TV. He said that both the Sony and Samsung TVs were identical, just different input connections (Sammy with 2 HDMI vs Sony with 1) and the whole Game Mode thing.

Looks like I'll be going with the Sammy!!! Now, the worst part of all . . . waiting. I'm at least going to wait right until I get out for the semester and then try and go grab one.

Tr1cK
10-25-06, 08:35 AM
Go Samsung.

I have always had good experiences with Samsung; I can't say the same for Sony. Also, the Samsung has 2 HDMI inputs which is VERY nice compared to just one. My TV only has one and now I am looking to buy a HDMI switch which aren't very cheap at all.

saturnotaku
10-25-06, 08:55 AM
Sony makes awesome tube HDTVs, but their LCDs blow. You won't be disappointed with the Samsung. I really like their stuff, as well as ones from LG. Just like with automobiles, it seems like the Koreans are starting to beat the Japanese at their own game. :D

Darth Rancid
10-26-06, 06:57 AM
The 4000:1 ratio of the Samsung is "Dynamic Contrast", in my opinion it is a useless marketing ploy. Some people like it, some don't I definetely don't. It can be turned off easily though. A 4000:1 dynamic should result in just about 1000:1 "real" if you turn the dynamic off...

I like Samsung LCDs... I have a 40" one at home.. in addition to the 21.3" Syncmaster...