PDA

View Full Version : Time to replay Half-Life 2!

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
10-22-06, 09:45 PM
Seriously, Everyone who has ever enjoyed HL2 would love this mod. It makes the game SOOO much more difficult and changes it a good amount to make it feel very different.

Here are some of the changes...

Combine are not Swat Members with new dialog and weapons.
Realistic weapons
Iron Sights
No Crosshairs
Gordon Kick!
Ability to swap weapons out.
New AI!
Combine weapons are randomize according to rank.

Probably more but Im having a hard time getting far in it under normal difficulty. Only gripe I have right now is that the Shotgun seems over powered.

http://www.fileplanet.com/169186/160000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---SMOD:-Tactical-Full

supra
10-22-06, 09:52 PM
screenshot looks awesome. downloading now

crainger
10-22-06, 09:54 PM
I'll take any excuse to replay HL2! :D

Roadhog
10-22-06, 09:58 PM
this is finally complete!?!?! Does it still have slow mo?

grey_1
10-22-06, 09:59 PM
Looks really good, couldn't find any other decent mirrors for the v3.5, so took my place in line.

|MaguS|
10-22-06, 10:06 PM
this is finally complete!?!?! Does it still have slow mo?

YUP!

I don't use it though, I like the new challange it brings without it. Shotgun grunts own you... o0

Roadhog
10-22-06, 10:08 PM
YUP!

I don't use it though, I like the new challange it brings without it. Shotgun grunts own you... o0

cool, waiting in line for this now.. lol :captnkill:

|MaguS|
10-22-06, 10:11 PM
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4995/hl22006102221403464tm6.th.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hl22006102221403464tm6.jpg) http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1961/hl22006102221403990hr4.th.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hl22006102221403990hr4.jpg)

superklye
10-22-06, 11:00 PM
Fantastic! I was just getting this big itch to play again and this sealed the deal for me. :)

stevemedes
10-22-06, 11:04 PM
Any different mirrors?

CaptNKILL
10-22-06, 11:18 PM
Wow, looks awesome!

Everyone should get those high-res texture packs too if you dont already have them... let me find the links.

EDIT: Doh, I dont think you can use this with the high-res textures without copying and pasting a lot of stuff because its a full mod and has gameplay changes. Here is the newest FakeFactory Cinematic Pack:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_FakeFactorys_Cinematic_Mod_V30;69829#Do wnload

Their older mod (with fewer high-res textures) might work though:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/FakeFactorys_Oggs_High_Resolution_Pack;55302x#8020 42

They really have some amazing looking screenshots from that newest pack. I'm going to try to get it working with this mod.

superklye
10-23-06, 12:02 AM
That would be awesome if you can find a way. Keep us in the know. :)

crainger
10-23-06, 12:49 AM
Wow, looks awesome!

Everyone should get those high-res texture packs too if you dont already have them... let me find the links.

EDIT: Doh, I dont think you can use this with the high-res textures without copying and pasting a lot of stuff because its a full mod and has gameplay changes. Here is the newest FakeFactory Cinematic Pack:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_FakeFactorys_Cinematic_Mod_V30;69829#Do wnload

Their older mod (with fewer high-res textures) might work though:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/FakeFactorys_Oggs_High_Resolution_Pack;55302x#8020 42

They really have some amazing looking screenshots from that newest pack. I'm going to try to get it working with this mod.

Man need at least 1600x1200 for FakeFactory's mod to work. My LCD only goes upto 1280x1024 :(

sirplayalot
10-23-06, 01:18 AM
FileFront link! (http://files.filefront.com/SMOD_Tactical_Delta3_Fullzip/;6033562;;/fileinfo.html)

CaptNKILL
10-23-06, 08:52 AM
EDIT: Ok, rather than have half a dozen edits on this post, I'll just say that the tactical mod is cool, and if you copy the textures and models out of the fakefactory cinematic mod to your hl2 directory you get the nice updated textures without the problems that come from using the modified maps (which supposedly add some eyecandy but also kill the performance and makes some strange unnecessary changes to the levels).

I have a few gripes with the tactical mod though.

*The shotgun is very overpowered. One shot within 25 feet will totaly rip you apart (even on easy), where the other guns dont seem to do all that much damage.

*The shaky-cam effect didnt seem to cause any problems for a while but out of nowhere it seemed to get really excessive and made the game very irritating to play. I dont know if I'm just noticing it more now or if something actually changed, but the motion blur effect makes it really difficult to do anything when youre being shot at. It seems like it lasts too long or something...

*They changed the quicksave key for no good reason. As far as I know, it defaults to "F5" in HL2 as well as 90% of other recent games... but for some reason this mod changed it to F6 and put the screenshot key on F5. So remember to change it guys, or you'll find yourself having to restart large parts of the game because you thought you made a quicksave.

*Some continuity problems. For example, the enemies are swat guys... it doesnt really make sense, since the combine are all supposed to be drones wearing the combine uniform. There also seem to be more guns than you can use, but it could have just been a bug from using the maps from the cinematic mod (I'm going to restart without them). For example, I saw a GALIL, an MP5 and a few different hand guns, but when I walked over them it just gave me ammo for my other guns. Also, they made gordon's hand have a green sleave even though he's wearing an orange suit... and Half-Life should have a crowbar, not a knife. Period. :p

*Grenades are almost unusable. You cant aim with them, and the hand floats like it does with the guns. This means you just have to guess when you throw, and half the time itl just fly off to the side and bounce off a wall or something. I dont know why they did this, since it makes using grenades a waste of time and pretty much suicide when in close quarters. They should have left the grenade arm "locked" in place like it is in normal HL2 or they should have added an aiming mode.

*Some gun sounds and some weapons dont seem just right. The AK-47 seems very underpowered (the silenced SMG seems to be more powerful) and the one handgun uses the USP .45 sound from Counter Strike and that just doesnt fit with the realistic sounds for the rest of the weapons.

Other than that, its a fantastic mod. If HL2 had had iron sights and more realistic and varied weapons like this it probably would have been an even better game from the start.

|MaguS|
10-23-06, 12:16 PM
I agree with some of the things you said, but for the whole continuity problems, I really don't care. Its nice being able to see the difference between the combine and knowning what weapon they will be carrying.

I didn't have any problems throwing gernades or even shooting without iron sights but then again I don't have an issue of not using crosshairs. :p

I do agree that the shotgun needs to be tone down ALOT, as for the other weapons... the fully automatic ones feel too weak too me. The Handguns are pretty dam strong if you shoot them in the head (one shot kills, unlike the original HL2).

grey_1
10-24-06, 09:00 PM
Playing this now and weapons balancing is all I see that's needed. This is definetly sweetens the original by Alot!

superklye
10-24-06, 09:12 PM
Actually, Capt, HL2 puts it as F6 by default. I know because every time I fire the game up after a reformat, I hit F5 and just get a bunch of screenshots. Then when I hit F9 to reload, I have no recent quicksaves and I remember that the damned game breaks the unwritten standard of F5 being quicksave.

CaptNKILL
10-24-06, 09:22 PM
Actually, Capt, HL2 puts it as F6 by default. I know because every time I fire the game up after a reformat, I hit F5 and just get a bunch of screenshots. Then when I hit F9 to reload, I have no recent quicksaves and I remember that the damned game breaks the unwritten standard of F5 being quicksave.
Gerrrr... those bastards...

Thats like putting the break pedal on the wrong side in a car... :p

superklye
10-28-06, 05:05 PM
I finally got around to installing and playing this and WOW! It is SO MUCH FUN! Yeah, the guns are a bit overpowered, but I LIKE that. They're balanced by the low number of rounds you can carry on the whole as well as the pretty tiny clip size for the guns (8 and 12 for those handguns is killing me).

And the complete lack of a crosshair makes things much harder as well. I'm really digging this a lot. :)

SH0DAN
10-28-06, 07:17 PM
Can anyone confirm or deny the res requirements on the high res tex packs ? I game at 1680x1050(in HK2) and would hope that res to be high enough.Will I at all notice a difference or will this merely drop my framerate into the toilet for nothing ? I just picked up the game at EB for low 35 bucks and have it installed and patched.I am considering installing this mod before I boot up the game for the first time.

superklye
10-29-06, 01:15 AM
How do you use bullet time and that aiming mode?

superklye
10-29-06, 01:25 AM
heh, I also just realized that this mod has its own levels and whatnot. I've just been playing the main HL2 story over again.

I ran the "exec realistic" command like the site says, but...nothing happens. How do I actually play the mod's levels? The site leaves a lot to be desires in terms of telling you how to get the game working.

grey_1
10-29-06, 08:20 AM
Can anyone confirm or deny the res requirements on the high res tex packs ? I game at 1680x1050(in HK2) and would hope that res to be high enough.Will I at all notice a difference or will this merely drop my framerate into the toilet for nothing ? I just picked up the game at EB for low 35 bucks and have it installed and patched.I am considering installing this mod before I boot up the game for the first time.

You shouldn't have an issue with those specs, as usual just play with the eye candy til you find a sweet spot. Also, source has been patched a quite a bit since launch. It's much smoother for me than ever. As for installing this mod right off the bat, mho only, this makes the game 100% better than the original version.

Originally posted by superklye
heh, I also just realized that this mod has its own levels and whatnot. I've just been playing the main HL2 story over again.

I ran the "exec realistic" command like the site says, but...nothing happens. How do I actually play the mod's levels? The site leaves a lot to be desires in terms of telling you how to get the game working.

I ran into the first "mini-level" just playing as usual. It was just a heavily modded regular level out of the game, but very well done.

iron99
10-29-06, 11:42 AM
This is a very cool Mod, thanks for pointing it out to me MaguS :). And a thank you to CapNKILL also for adding the info about the FakeFactory Mod :).

I haven't played HL2 since it's release so I'm looking forward to replaying it! I combined these two Mods into one and I must say it it looks VERY good with the FakeFactory Ver3 Cinematic and the game play is better with having to use "iron sights". Much harder now :eek:!

I agree with you guys that the shotgun is too powerfull at long range with the "smod", but this fault is offset by the sound of it going off. Down right scary! :)

The only thing I'm wishing for in the game right now with these two Mods is the ability to "lean" right and left :( . Is there a Mod for this?

Thanks Again :)