PDA

View Full Version : Will the FX be better than most think?

Pages : [1] 2

VulcanOrion
02-22-03, 08:57 PM
Personally, I'm not sure myself :confused:

Typedef Enum
02-22-03, 10:00 PM
No. It's really that simple :)

No matter how you look at it, it's still vastly inferior to the IQ of the 9700...Remember, nVidia has gone on record talking about how significant the whole issue of IQ would be going forward (they've stated this numerous times over the last year or so), so it's not like I'm just saying it...to say it.

Anyhow, the R350 is on the verge of release, and I cannot fathom anybody favoring the FX over it.

sebazve
02-22-03, 10:00 PM
:eek: :confused: :barf:

Woodelf
02-22-03, 11:16 PM
Maybe, with drivers.
All they have is paper performance.
They need to bring out those super drivers that gave them the
killer performance they were/are claiming.

The Baron
02-22-03, 11:34 PM
If NV35 comes out in June, R350's success might be short lived ;)

kyleb
02-23-03, 12:50 AM
i strongly agree with you on that The Baron.

as for the orginal question; i think it would be more correct to say that the fx will be worse than most people have been led to belive. granted most of us know beter, but i see people elsewere who sweer that it is a gift from god himself. :D

Typedef Enum
02-23-03, 01:10 AM
If NV35 comes out in June, R350's success might be short lived

Who cares? R400 is scheduled for July timeframe.

I think people are so disillsioned with the fact that ATI might just be several steps ahead of nVidia that they think nVidia can just whip together a design that would put them back on top...all at the drop of a dime.

R400 is going to be a new architecture...NV35 isn't. So while nVidia tries like made just to be competitive with the 9700 in June, ATI will have already released the R350, and be prepared to launch the R400...

It's not 2000 anymore.

Uttar
02-23-03, 05:43 AM
Actually, you're making a big mistake, Typedef Enum

Early June is the NV35 *retail* avaibility
Mid July is the R400 *paper launch*

We'll have to wait at least until Late August before the R400 is available in retail.
That's a 75 days retail advantage for the NV35.
And 1 month without any competing product on the horizon.

Sure, the R400 will likely beat the NV35, but it'll also be released later.

Uttar

kyleb
02-23-03, 05:47 AM
yep, mid august is my bet on the r400 as well.

Captain Beige
02-23-03, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Uttar

We'll have to wait at least until Late August before the R400 is available in retail.

Uttar

hahaha measuring nvidia's potential lead in terms of days

how about the last 6 MONTHS !?!? ... and the FX still isn't here......

btw, 75 days is optimistic, ATI paper launch 1 month before retail, not 1.5, so mid August, not late.

after the R300 people know what ATI is capable of pulling out of the bag. they won't think "ATI has no competing product on the horizon" just because it hasn't been paper launched yet :rolleyes:

The Baron
02-23-03, 08:35 AM
Uh..

I'm confused. What has happened to ATI's much-ballyhooed 6 month product cycle that has caused people to think R400's coming out in July or August?

IF R350.launchdate == "March" {
R400.launchdate = R350.launchdate + 6
}
print R400.launchdate

September

;)

(yes, I know it's not a real programming language. screw you. ;) )

ANYWAY... If R400 comes out in August, that's a 5 month product cycle. Then you assume R400 won't be delayed in the slighest. And remember, kids, it's already been a 7 month product cycle between R300 and R350 if R350 comes out in March....

OK, well, I think I've beaten this horse to death many times over in many threads now, so oh well. Basically... R400 will be Out When It's Out. ;)

digitalwanderer
02-23-03, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
ANYWAY... If R400 comes out in August, that's a 5 month product cycle. Then you assume R400 won't be delayed in the slighest. And remember, kids, it's already been a 7 month product cycle between R300 and R350 if R350 comes out in March....

Yes, 'cept you're neglecting the possibility that the R350 comes out in February. :)

Also, I don't think a couple of weeks either way is a big deal....it's not like they announced it would be available last August and you still can't get one or nothing. ;)

John Reynolds
02-23-03, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Uttar

Uttar

And meanwhile the real steal of the summer could be the 9700 Pro, which will be forced down in price by the R350 boards. And I'll be very surprised if NV35 is anything more than NV30 with a 256-bit memory interface.

Unless Nvidia dramatically improves their AA quality, I will not touch one of their products. They are years and years behind on this one area alone.

Uttar
02-23-03, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by John Reynolds
And meanwhile the real steal of the summer could be the 9700 Pro, which will be forced down in price by the R350 boards. And I'll be very surprised if NV35 is anything more than NV30 with a 256-bit memory interface.

Unless Nvidia dramatically improves their AA quality, I will not touch one of their products. They are years and years behind on this one area alone.

Well, the NV35 also includes fixes & optimizations. Agreed it probably won't include any *major* new feature, however.

Too bad we got no info on AA Quality with the NV35...

Uttar

jbirney
02-23-03, 11:03 AM
Uttar,

you hoping that both chips will not require any respins to hit that date. MuFu said that they have taped out the intial version of the NV35. I am sure it will take at least one or two respins to get it right. R400 is in the same boat...

GlowStick
02-23-03, 11:16 AM
What is this Image Quality crap everon has been talking about.

I owend the Orginal Radeon (oh god it sucked), and in Serious Sam, my freidns Geforce 2 GTS had a much superior image. When we would play at lans :P. His Geforce also had a ungodly fast fps with high detail enabled.

I dont think anyone can tell image quality when your playing a FPS running around and killing like a mad man?

Meanwhile

Serious Sam (and SE) is the best LAN GAME EVER!!!!!!

digitalwanderer
02-23-03, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick

The lousy quality of the FX's AA & AF is what he's refering to I think. It might not be important for you, but a lot of us are sort of expecting our games to look nice on a card we shell out $400 on. :rolleyes:

I've seen ATI's new image quality, (The 95/700 as opposed to the earlier ones.), and it is top-notch/fast/smooth. I ain't been hearing that about the FX's, if it was even available. ;)

Captain Beige
02-23-03, 11:40 AM

I owend the Orginal Radeon (oh god it sucked), and in Serious Sam, my freidns Geforce 2 GTS had a much superior image. When we would play at lans :P. His Geforce also had a ungodly fast fps with high detail enabled.

I dont think anyone can tell image quality when your playing a FPS running around and killing like a mad man?

Meanwhile

Serious Sam (and SE) is the best LAN GAME EVER!!!!!!

lol, yeah people only buy videocards to play FPSs :rolleyes:

btw.... original radeon and geforce 2... you're living quite a long way in the past...

stncttr908
02-23-03, 11:59 AM
I hope that enough people by a FX so they can have the cash flow to make something better the next time around. I can say that because it won't be me getting one.

digitalwanderer
02-23-03, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
I hope that enough people by a FX so they can have the cash flow to make something better the next time around. I can say that because it won't be me getting one.

Don't lose any sleep over nVidia's cash flow situation, they ain't hurting nor do they look like they will be any time in the near future. Their nForce2 motherboards rock and are selling like hotcakes, not to mention their rather considerable cash reserves. ;)

nVidia would NOT go out of business even if they didn't sell ONE fx...they literally could skip a product cycle and just take it in stride.

nVidia is a BIG company!

Shinri Hikari
02-23-03, 12:16 PM
They do need the money, bud, ATI is much BIGGER:rolleyes: and if they get a product cycle of free time, I fear for nVidia.:(

GlowStick
02-23-03, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Shinri Hikari
They do need the money, bud, ATI is much BIGGER:rolleyes: and if they get a product cycle of free time, I fear for nVidia.:(

Since when did ATI get bigger? Anandtech's report of their HQ said they did not have as much 'high' tech equipemtn as Nvidia.

While Nvidia has a whole friggin 'campus' that has a cafatera....um and they spent 380million on buying computers for Data Center A, while building Data Center B because they ran out of room in A.

And they have enough people to make the Nforce2, Geforce FX line (3 parralell teams) and their Sound chip.

Also Nvidia, was gaining marketshare from ATI even after the r9700p release, the real money is in the cheep value card sector.

Shinri Hikari
02-23-03, 12:33 PM
More assets, more cash, the blind followers that flock to ATI due to all the nVidia bashing... They are going to get a huge boost from the FX letdown:rolleyes: Even the Nforce2 sales can't keep nVidia going for long.:( I have my sources...;) Must Resist The Urge TO Blab.:D

digitalwanderer
02-23-03, 12:34 PM
Also Nvidia, was gaining marketshare from ATI even after the r9700p release, the real money is in the cheep value card sector.

Not meaning to fight, but just a point...that value card sector that nVidia has counted on for so long is about to be pulled out from under them. ATI is going to TOTALLY dominate the cheapy sector for the next 6-8 months! (IMHO, of course. :) )

John Reynolds
02-23-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Shinri Hikari
More assets, more cash, the blind followers that flock to ATI

Of course it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that ATi currently has Nvidia beat at every price point.