PDA

View Full Version : Force monitor detection?

bobn4burton
10-25-06, 09:56 PM
Hey guys...long time reader...first time posting.

I have a problem that hopefully some of you knowledgeable people might be able to help with.

I have my PC hooked up to three monitors (1 AGP + 1 PCI video card). Two LCD's on my office desk and also an LCDTV in my living room.

Here's my problem. When I want to switch my computer display out to my living room, it works fine as long as the TV was ON when my pc booted up. However, if the TV is off when the pc boots up...I cannot see the monitor and the detect displays button in the driver doesn't seem to work. Is there anyway I can detect an LCD without rebooting?

I noticed that the NiBiTor bios editor has an option to 'Skip DDC Scanning'. I'm not sure what all happens with the DDC scanning routine...does DDC scanning detect the presence of a monitor as well as the monitor capabilities? If so...would it just not look for monitors and just remember what was there before?

Are there any other options I can do?

Thanks in advance...feel free to ask any questions...I'm sure I haven't explained it thoroughly enough. I have a 6800GT BTW.

OWA
10-26-06, 05:31 PM
In addition to the Rigorous Display Detection option, did you try the force television detection on startup option? I have a feeling, it'll still be like what you said with it needing to be on during the boot process for it to work though.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8052/nvcpkd2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bobn4burton
10-26-06, 10:13 PM
Interesting. I haven't even tried the 'Rigorous Display Detection'. Where is that? Is your screen-shot just from the Nvidia drivers? Or is that some other program?

I haven't updated drivers for awhile...is the Rigorous detection a new thing?

OWA
10-27-06, 12:06 PM
That's just the new control panel that was added to some of the newer drivers. Maybe it's only the 9x.xx series. It is probably just a re-worded Detect Displays type option but you might want to give the newer drivers a shot just to check if it'll help. You get that option by clicking the blue link that says my display is not shown in the list or if you click the drop-down box in item 2, one of the options in it is my display is not shown in the list. If you select it there, it brings up the same dialog.

Anyway, none of this may actually help. It could just be the new control panels friendly wrapper around the old options but I'd still give it a shot just in case.