PDA

View Full Version : Nforce2 + CPU QUESTIONS NEED HELP!@!!

butter
02-23-03, 10:19 AM
i am gettinga nforce2+xp2400 but i dont know which one!
I dont really care about a lot of features except i need:
1. ability to overclock
2. spdif (can i just run 1 single coaxal cable to my reciever and have all sounds - gaming, mp3- come from just 1 cable?)

so far i think only the mcp-t with soundstorm has spdif so i guess my choices are either asus nforce2 delux or abit n7-s version, any other choices?? and where do i buy, the only 2 good places I know are googlegear and newegg.

also how do I unlock a revision b thoroughbred?? they are only 266mhz fsb so how are people running 333mhz fsb and 333mhz mem??? im getting pc2700 but i need to know how to run it at 166mhz and up for the fsb.

any help would be appreciated.

jnd3
02-23-03, 10:52 AM
Either the Asus or the Abit would be a fine choice. I have an Asus, and it's been running fine. I believe all Thoroughbred-Bs are unlocked on it...I didn't have to do anything special to turn my XP2100+ into an XP2400+, at least! There are some folks (me included) who have some problems with the sound...after a time of gaming (only in gaming), the sound gets all staticky and degrades. It only happens in a few games for me (Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell, unfortunately), and all in all I'm pretty happy with it. Got it all from Newegg, too!

Cheers,
JND

butter
02-23-03, 07:15 PM
so how would i overclock the 2400xp ?? do you think i could get to 2.2ghz?

Neova
02-24-03, 01:57 AM
I just picked up a Shuttle SN41G2 with XP2100. Set the bios to 166 FSB SYNC'ed and the CPU now says XP2700. Too bad there are ZERO voltage adjustments here, but so far so good.

If you get either Asus or Abit, I think you'll be happy with at least a 2100 XP.

Still burning in the system so I don't know how stable this thing is yet.

This nforce2 system is really starting to impress me.

SnakeEyes
02-27-03, 11:16 AM
Unless Abit has a new model I haven't read about, he'll want the Asus Deluxe model (or pretty much any model that has the SoundStorm audio). Abit doesn't use the SoundStorm in their nForce2 mobo's, last I read, so those motherboards can't output 5.1 through the digital output, unlike any motherboard that uses the SoundStorm audio. (I have the Asus A7N8X, and I LOVE the fact that I only need my coaxial output to my speakers and all my games that have surround support, such as DirectSound3D, are encoded to Dolby Digital 5.1. Basically, no more need for those analog outputs. :))

Hooligan
03-05-03, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Abit doesn't use the SoundStorm in their nForce2 mobo's, last I read, so those motherboards can't output 5.1 through the digital output, unlike any motherboard that uses the SoundStorm audio.

According to Abit webpage regarding the NF7-S, They DO use the Soundstorm technology.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/nf7-s/

SnakeEyes
03-05-03, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Hooligan
According to Abit webpage regarding the NF7-S, They DO use the Soundstorm technology.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/nf7-s/
Yeah. I noticed that a couple weeks after I'd already bought my A7N8X Dlx. Abit was the first brand I ever bought (2 in a row, in fact), and I probably would've thought seriously about the NF7-S if I'd seen it listed sooner. It's okay though, both lack what I'd like to see the most- values for the vcore up to 2.05volts would've been nice (my 2500+ lacks maybe .1v of being stable at 2100MHz+:p ).

butter
03-05-03, 11:02 PM
is it worth paying an extra $35 for the asus deluxe over the abit deluxe s version just for teh coaxil digital spdif out put? i have a creative dtt2500 sys and it takes digital coaxil so i was wondering if i use the coax on the asus i get dolby sound from any game that support it right?

SnakeEyes
03-06-03, 02:51 PM
You'll get Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded from any game that uses DirectSound3D. Basically, the sound for practically every game I use is output in DD5.1. I love it too. :)

StuRReaL
03-14-03, 04:04 AM
does anyone know if the NF7-S will take the to be released 400Mhz FSB Barton cores?

SSC-Gandalf
03-14-03, 07:59 AM
according to the specs it only goes up to 333FSB

if you can go without soundstorm but still get spdif and want 400FSB go with the chaintech 7njs :cool:

StuRReaL
03-14-03, 03:09 PM
well i have the NF7-S and i like my soundstorm ah well they may release a bios patch (ain't holding breath) 333MHz barton core it is then

saturnotaku
03-14-03, 03:45 PM
Abit is usually really good about releasing BIOS updates to handle newer processor technology. I would think it's only a matter of time before they would release one to support the 400 MHz Bartons.

Since the NF7-S uses Soundstorm, I've decided to pick up one. I've always been satisfied with Abit's products. They have yet to let me down. :)