PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Modding for n00bes?

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-27-06, 09:19 PM
Hey guys, I have a really small penis and I'm unsure how to go about pencil modding my 7900 GTO. I've seen several threads with pictures of the resistors, as well as some guides (like VR-ZONE's), but nothing that really spells it out for an idiot.
I'm pretty sure I capable enough to do it, but I've never used a multimeter either, and I really want to be sure what I'm doing so I don't blow my card.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great!
If no such thing exists, just answer this for me: I connect the red multimeter lead to the measure-point on the card while the computer is off, and then start up, right? Do I need to be in 3D to measure accurately? And do I need to ground the black lead?

Bearclaw
10-27-06, 09:26 PM
uhm...?

hemmy
10-27-06, 09:55 PM
You have the card out of your system when you do anything to it.

The multimeter will measure the ohms of the resistor by placing the leads on each end(doesn't matter which, if you put them backwards the number will just read negative)

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-27-06, 10:16 PM
Ok, great, kind of thought the multimeter would just feed voltage through it. Saw a picture of a guy reading the voltage while it was plugged in to his computer though, so that threw me off.

Daydre@m
10-28-06, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, I have a really small penis and ...
:wtf:

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 11:45 AM
:wtf:
I was referencing my n00bness.

Anyways, I just gave it a shot, and apparently I am doing something wrong.
With the multimeter set at 20K, I was getting a reading of 9.54. I assume that's about right given that it is a 100K resistor?
I stroked the resistor with a 2B mechanical quite a bit on top but the resistence reading never changed.
What am I doing wrong?

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffws/v.jpg

einstein_314
10-28-06, 12:37 PM
You have the card out of your system when you do anything to it.

The multimeter will measure the ohms of the resistor by placing the leads on each end(doesn't matter which, if you put them backwards the number will just read negative)
Actually, putting the leads on backwards won't matter for measuring resistance because resistance doesn't have polarity.

einstein_314
10-28-06, 12:41 PM
I was referencing my n00bness.

Anyways, I just gave it a shot, and apparently I am doing something wrong.
With the multimeter set at 20K, I was getting a reading of 9.54. I assume that's about right given that it is a 100K resistor?
I stroked the resistor with a 2B mechanical quite a bit on top but the resistence reading never changed.
What am I doing wrong?

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffws/v.jpg

Well, 9.54 would be 9.54K Ohms. The problem with measuring resistance is that if there are 2 or more resistors in parallel it will measure the apparent resistance...not just the resistance of the 1 resistor. To acurately measure the voltage of the resistor you would need to remove it and measure it by itself. But that's out of the question.

So my question is, what exactly do you have to do? Just short out the resistor? Is that what you were trying to do with the stroking of the resistor? I think that would be bad...no resistance = infinite current = bye bye video card. Do you have a link to one of the threads on how to do this?

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 12:48 PM
einstein_314: By stroking the resistor with a pencil, you are lowering the resistence accross the resistor, thereby increasing the voltage that your memory receives. But for whatever reason, stroking didn't yield any change in resistence for me. Either I'm measuring wrong, or maybe I wasn't pushing down hard enough with the pencil.

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 02:17 PM
Tried again, this time stroking hard, but with no luck. Interestingly, the right side of the resistor reads 9.54, and the left side of it reads 4.05. But I can't seem to get the pencil to change those numbers.

rflair
10-28-06, 02:30 PM
The mods are quite simple and since you don't seem to have a clue to what you are doing I would say STOP right now.

You have a 7900GTO, right? Its actually a 7900GTX, are you using the proper mods because your pics look like the ones belonging to the 7900GT.

Stop any mods your trying till you have a basic grasp of what to do and what its doing.

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 04:20 PM
Yes, I have a GTO, and I'm not quite as big of an idiot as it may appear. Just new to this v-modding (and impedance) stuff.
The pics came from a thread on another forum about modding the GTO. They are correct, as other users have used them to successfully mod their GTO.

hemmy
10-28-06, 07:07 PM
Actually, putting the leads on backwards won't matter for measuring resistance because resistance doesn't have polarity.

actually it does effect it because i have used a number of multimeters and they all show the same number negative when on backwards

Xion X2
10-28-06, 07:43 PM
Hey guys, I have a really small penis and...

What am I doing wrong?

Tried again, this time stroking hard, but with no luck.

I can't seem to get the pencil to change...

...for whatever reason, stroking didn't yield any change in resistence for me. Either I'm measuring wrong, or maybe I wasn't pushing down hard enough

http://www.accboards.com/newboard/emoticons/gifs/lmao.gif

einstein_314
10-28-06, 07:58 PM
actually it does effect it because i have used a number of multimeters and they all show the same number negative when on backwards
Look man, I don't want to argue with you...but RESISTANCE HAS NO POLARITY. It doesn't matter which way you put the leads on when measuring RESISTANCE. Voltage it does matter. But not resistance.

einstein_314: By stroking the resistor with a pencil, you are lowering the resistence accross the resistor, thereby increasing the voltage that your memory receives. But for whatever reason, stroking didn't yield any change in resistence for me. Either I'm measuring wrong, or maybe I wasn't pushing down hard enough with the pencil.

I figured that doing this would result in a short across the resistor. But apparently pencil lead is a pretty good resistor. I just did a quick test by scribbling on a piece of paper and then measuring the resistance. It all depends on how far appart you put the leads from the multimeter (basically it's just a crude potentiometer (variable resistor)). But with the leads about an 1/8th of an inch apart the resistance is 5K ohms.

Now the other thing to consider is this. When 2 resistors are in parallel, the resistance is equal to 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2). So...1/(1/100K + 1/5k) = 4.76k. This is assuming the original resistor isn't already in a parallel circuit...That could be why when you measure it you're getting 9.54K rather than 100K. It may be in a parallel arrangement to achieve the correct resistance. Or you may be just measuring it wrong...

spoop
10-28-06, 08:11 PM
Thats cool that you named your penis resistor. I call mine spoop junior.

Xion X2
10-28-06, 08:13 PM
I call mine "Krawl the Warrior King."

http://www.accboards.com/newboard/emoticons/gifs/lmao.gif

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 08:39 PM
You guys are crackups :)

Bman212121
10-30-06, 06:37 PM
I figured that doing this would result in a short across the resistor. But apparently pencil lead is a pretty good resistor. I just did a quick test by scribbling on a piece of paper and then measuring the resistance. It all depends on how far appart you put the leads from the multimeter (basically it's just a crude potentiometer (variable resistor)). But with the leads about an 1/8th of an inch apart the resistance is 5K ohms.

It's funny you mention this actually. I have an electronics set that allows you to hook up different circuts and it has a booklet with a bunch of different things that you can do. One of them is you make an electric piano by using the pencil lead on a piece of paper. Like you said, the distance changes the resistance, and this changes the pitch on this experiment, it was kind of interesting to see.

ViN86
10-30-06, 08:46 PM
k, ill be the smart one in this thread.

dont mod your vid card if you have no idea what you are doing. plain and simple. all youre going to do is get a $300 paper weight. is that worth a few extra 3dmarks? definitely isnt in my book :|

i mean, if you dont understand how it all works and what you have to do then the people at the forums take no responsibility for your mistakes and you are bound to make them.

hope i didnt threadcrap too hard :o

candle_86
10-30-06, 09:11 PM
k, ill be the smart one in this thread.

dont mod your vid card if you have no idea what you are doing. plain and simple. all youre going to do is get a $300 paper weight. is that worth a few extra 3dmarks? definitely isnt in my book :|

i mean, if you dont understand how it all works and what you have to do then the people at the forums take no responsibility for your mistakes and you are bound to make them.

hope i didnt threadcrap too hard :o

I agree with you, same thing i tell to ppl playing with there video card bios and a hex editor, dont touch it if you dont have a clue about it.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-31-06, 01:18 AM
don't listen to these guys, stroke all you want, as hard as you want:lol:

Persistence is key, stay focused, keep stroking it and soon you'll have the biggest vmod out there:D

Xion X2
10-31-06, 01:34 AM
I think "resistor" is just playing hard to get, myself. http://www.accboards.com/newboard/emoticons/gifs/lmao.gif