PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 to hit 360?

Ruined
10-28-06, 01:26 PM
http://www.xboxic.com/news/1875#more-1875

See upper right hand corner of new EGM cover, which has been confirmed as genuine:
http://files.xboxic.com/egm.jpg

PeterJensen
10-28-06, 01:38 PM

|MaguS|
10-28-06, 01:39 PM
Probably part of the rumor mill considering Kojima has stated in an interview that he doesn't plan on making it multiplatform. If it does make its way to the X360 it would be in the same way as MGS2, which was a pretty poor port.

Ruined
10-28-06, 01:45 PM
Probably part of the rumor mill considering Kojima has stated in an interview that he doesn't plan on making it multiplatform. If it does make its way to the X360 it would be in the same way as MGS2, which was a pretty poor port.

Amazing that you have a crystal ball with such accuracy. You even know exactly how MGS4 runs on 360 already! ;)

Seriously, if it does come to 360, it could be worse, better, or the same as the PS3 version. Something none of us know at this point. If you clicked through on the link, it gives detail about what is in EGM. Apparently Konami is pressuring Kojima to make the game multiplatform due to the lower than expected shipments of PS3 and rising costs of development.

|MaguS|
10-28-06, 01:50 PM
Amazing that you have a crystal ball with such accuracy. You even know exactly how MGS4 runs on 360 already! ;)

Seriously, if it does come to 360, it could be worse, better, or the same as the PS3 version. Something none of us know at this point. If you clicked through on the link, it gives detail about what is in EGM.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news.html?sid=6127573

Hideo Kojima says he has no plans to bring any Metal Gear Solid game to a non-Sony next-gen platform, but he has high praise for the Xbox 360.

"Metal Gear Solid 4 is only scheduled for release on the PlayStation 3 at the current time," he told the Japanese game magazine. "Of course we could port it to other consoles, but doing so would require additional staff and research and development costs. If I were to make games for the Xbox 360 or the [Nintendo] Revolution, I'd rather create original titles that match each console's audience, instead of the Metal Gear Solid series."

We know MGS4 can be ran on the X360 but according to Kojima certain aspects would have to be sacraficed...

Metal Gear Solid 4 could work on Xbox 360 ("maybe some nuance or a small detail here and there might be different") and the reason for that, apparently is that "there are really no differences" between the PS3, 360 and PC, although obviously Revolution is "totally different".

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62199

Ruined
10-28-06, 01:56 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news.html?sid=6127573

Except that article is well over a year old, and the original post's article from EGM just came out. Things change when publishers see dollar signs. Several games that were originally announced as PS3 exclusives have become multiplatform over the past year due to brisk 360 sales combined with PS3 delays & manufacturing problems (not to mention higher than expected pricing). MGS4 could very well be another one of those games that goes multiplatform.

We know MGS4 can be ran on the X360 but according to Kojima certain aspects would have to be sacraficed...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62199
Metal Gear Solid 4 could work on Xbox 360 ("maybe some nuance or a small detail here and there might be different") and the reason for that, apparently is that "there are really no differences between the PS3, 360 and PC"

I think you misread your own link there. He says there are really no differences between PS3 and XBOX 360. Hence, a 360 port should therefore have little difference compared to the PS3 version as well.

Bad_Boy
10-28-06, 02:12 PM
wishful thinking imo. but if it does happen, dont expect a perfect port, and dont expect it until 2008 sometime imo.

Marvel_us
10-28-06, 02:22 PM
I think you misread your own link there. He says there are really no differences between PS3 and XBOX 360. Hence, a 360 port should therefore have little difference compared to the PS3 version as well.

Quake 4 port from PC to Xbox360 should've had little differences as well but we all know that wasn't the case. Highly doubted that it's a difference between power between the two platforms, more likely that it is poor coding for the port itself.

That may be the case with MGS4 if it goes to Xbox360, it may not...but history has shown us with MGS2 that the final port had slowdowns which I doubt was due to the Xbox's power capabilities.

Subtestube
10-28-06, 03:08 PM
Quake 4 port from PC to Xbox360 should've had little differences as well but we all know that wasn't the case. Highly doubted that it's a difference between power between the two platforms, more likely that it is poor coding for the port itself.

XBOX360 and PC are extremely different, architecture wise - x86 has all sorts of nice stuff to deal with branch prediction, memory disambiguation, and some very nice Out of Order Execution hardware. The "Xenos", for the most part, does not. I've read a Microsoft demonstration to developers where they basically said that to really get stuff to run well on the 360, one needed to move away from lots of indirection and arbitrary data usage - instead moving to bitpacking struct type data. In other words, x86 chips do _a lot_ better on Object Oriented code than the Xenos does. My guess is that there was just not enough platform specific re-writing for the 360 with Quake 4.

It's worth noting that as the non SPE core on the Cell is supposed to be very similar to the cores on the Xenos, the Cell will, in terms of actual code execution, have similar strengths and weaknesses to the xenos.

Note - I'm not an expert, but I am a professional developer, and I do read articles about this kind of thing. I've not actually worked on the 360, but I doubt that MS presentation was just outright lying ;).

toxikneedle
10-28-06, 03:20 PM
Well just like a technical standpoint for ports, theres also a business one. Ports can sometimes depend on the business model for a game. If a game like MGS or Quake or whatever is believed to have a huge market on the xbox or 360 or whichever platform, more time and funding is given to the porting of it. If theres an uncertain or small market for the game, usually the funding, the time and the developer that ports the game is relatively small. Therefore, you can't predict the strength of a port based on previous games and systems even.

Marvel_us
10-28-06, 03:49 PM
XBOX360 and PC are extremely different, architecture wise - x86 has all sorts of nice stuff to deal with branch prediction, memory disambiguation, and some very nice Out of Order Execution hardware. The "Xenos", for the most part, does not. I've read a Microsoft demonstration to developers where they basically said that to really get stuff to run well on the 360, one needed to move away from lots of indirection and arbitrary data usage - instead moving to bitpacking struct type data. In other words, x86 chips do _a lot_ better on Object Oriented code than the Xenos does. My guess is that there was just not enough platform specific re-writing for the 360 with Quake 4.

It's worth noting that as the non SPE core on the Cell is supposed to be very similar to the cores on the Xenos, the Cell will, in terms of actual code execution, have similar strengths and weaknesses to the xenos.

Note - I'm not an expert, but I am a professional developer, and I do read articles about this kind of thing. I've not actually worked on the 360, but I doubt that MS presentation was just outright lying ;).

Isn't that basically what I said in my previous post?

Subtestube
10-28-06, 04:28 PM
Isn't that basically what I said in my previous post?

Hah - yes, basically. Whoops :)

Zelda_fan
10-28-06, 05:04 PM
Haha, I'm sure this news will get a lot of people's panties in a bunch.

The reality is that if the PS3 sells poorly (as in less than 5 million units), they'll release MGS4 on the XBOX360.

|MaguS|
10-28-06, 05:14 PM

Gasp! I was right... oh noes!

Itís simply a rumor that Konami higher-ups are pressuring Kojima Productions to consider making MGS4 a multiplatform game because production costs on the game are unsurprisingly high and only getting higher. With PS3 install base numbers not looking all that rosy due to console cost and manufacturing problems, Konami is scared they canít recoup their investment on only 1 platform alone.

Itís also a nice way to maybe blackmail Sony into giving Konami an incentive to keeping the game a PS3 exclusive, imo.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt itís going to happen so quit building yourself a disappointing kiloton bomb.

shungokusatsu
10-28-06, 05:23 PM
It's nothing more than the rumor mill, which is false 90% of the time.

evilchris
10-29-06, 01:26 AM

Of course, because afterall the 360 doesn't have tEH cELL, and could never hope to generate such photorealism.

S.I.N
10-29-06, 02:20 AM
Maybe when the HD drive and media becomes standard in the 360 they may port it.:o

Knot3D
10-29-06, 07:03 AM
Ugh.. the only bad thing is about the whole rumor are the extreme Sony fanboys and extreme MGS fanboys who claim that MGS 'belongs' on the Playstation platforms and that XB360 gamers are too stupid to comprehend and enjoy the MGS storylines. Idiots.

|MaguS|
10-29-06, 07:49 AM
Of course, because afterall the 360 doesn't have tEH cELL, and could never hope to generate such photorealism.

No because the achitecture of the two console are so different, if MGS2 was so poorly ported between the PS2 and Xbox/PC then its not hard to guess that MGS4 would be poorly ported aswell. Stop being such an idiot all the time.

Ugh.. the only bad thing is about the whole rumor are the extreme Sony fanboys and extreme MGS fanboys who claim that MGS 'belongs' on the Playstation platforms and that XB360 gamers are too stupid to comprehend and enjoy the MGS storylines. Idiots.

No one said anything of the sort, The onyl reason I don't think MGS4 is going to another platform is because Kojima himself said it wasn't. He stated he rather spend the time it would take to port on a new title for the other consoles.

Mr. Hunt
10-29-06, 08:06 AM
Stop being such an idiot all the time.

For evilchris, that is asking A LOT.

Marvel_us
10-29-06, 08:21 AM
This rumor has been debunked, apparently that cover was a phony.

http://www.1up.com/media?id=3061175

t6_shadow
10-29-06, 10:29 AM
wishful thinking imo. but if it does happen, dont expect a perfect port, and dont expect it until 2008 sometime imo.

This is what I am betting on MGS4 sure but about 2-3 years after its released for PS3.