PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Driver freezes XP

theh0g
10-28-06, 06:03 PM
I just installed XP SP2 again on my machine (dualboot) and it freezes whenever I install nvidia driver. System would work for 2 - 3 minutes and then randomly freeze. Using default VGA doesn't freeze the system. Everything with my machine is OK (Pentium 850 D (dual core), GF 7300 GT Pci-e), Vista RC2 worked and also Ubuntu. I tried official WHQL driver and 2 more (latest beta and some other), won't work :( Help, anyone?

newls1
10-28-06, 06:34 PM
I just installed XP SP2 again on my machine (dualboot) and it freezes whenever I install nvidia driver. System would work for 2 - 3 minutes and then randomly freeze. Using default VGA doesn't freeze the system. Everything with my machine is OK (Pentium 850 D (dual core), GF 7300 GT Pci-e), Vista RC2 worked and also Ubuntu. I tried official WHQL driver and 2 more (latest beta and some other), won't work :( Help, anyone?
I would think this might be a BIOS setup issue. Does this 7300 series use turbocache? See if you BIOS has a PCIe timing option, (EX: auto, fast, turbo) set it to auto if possible.

theh0g
10-29-06, 05:57 AM
I checked in BIOS, no such option is available. My GPU is Gigabyte Geforce 7300 GT Turboforce (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2282). Any other ideas anyone?

UPDATE: after freeze I booted to Linux, where the Thermal Monitor showed core temperature was 80 degrees! It's cooling down now. What could be causing such heat with nvidia drivers? I uninstalled the driver and it all worked "fine" (you know, slow, like windows without GPU driver) but after I installed the driver again and screen blinked (drivers loaded), system froze after around 5 seconds. This is annoying as hell.

rewt
10-29-06, 07:53 AM
80 degrees? Is the gpu fan on the card working? Check to see if the heatsink makes proper contact.

theh0g
10-29-06, 08:35 AM
It has pasive cooling, so no fan. It freezes after few seconds on desktop. But if cooling is in question, why did system work in Vista RC2? I played Far Cry (max details and all), I played Railroads and Half Life 2. No problem. I have this machine for a month now, my Linux desktop never froze and I have been playing HL2 aswell, also Far Cry (all via Wine/Cedega). This is weird :(

rewt
10-29-06, 08:46 AM
Could be an IRQ conflict.

Do you have any other addon cards in your PC?

EverGreen
10-29-06, 08:52 AM
Did you installed your chipset drivers also ???

theh0g
10-29-06, 10:34 AM
It doesn't report any IRQ conflict, GPU is on 24, only addon card I have is wireless on 14.
And yes, I have installed stuff for my mainboard. This is all weird. I reinstalled XP (version from October) and GPU temp was 76 - 80. It somehow worked. I installed Railroads and played for 10 minutes. I exited and GPU temp was 90, but falling now. Okay, cool. But I tried installing other stuff, and XP froze again. Now I really don't know if this is GPU related, but it's annoying, how come Vista and Linux work, but XP freezes?

rewt
10-29-06, 10:40 AM
What do you mean by XP (version from October)? Do you have a copy of XP with hotfixes integrated or something? If so, maybe the integration went bad and caused the problem.

theh0g
10-29-06, 11:15 AM
What do you mean by XP (version from October)? Do you have a copy of XP with hotfixes integrated or something? If so, maybe the integration went bad and caused the problem.
Yeah, October's release of XP (we have MSDN subscription at office and get new releases). But same problem happens with this version and with the older one (first one that came out with SP2 integrated).

usid
11-17-06, 06:06 PM
I have the exact same problem, Im in VGA mode right now. My computer has been running fine untill last night when I was playing Quake 3. My PC just froze, so had to power off and startup again. The problem continued as soon as i got into windows, it froze after like 1 minute .. I tried to change driver, but it still froze. Today I did a format c:, and when I installed the Nvidia driver it froze immediately after the screen flickered. Im suspecting my card, which is a GeForce 6600, to be broken. Unfortunately I dont have a spare card at my place, but I will get my old GeForce 5500 tomorrow so I can try that card.

@theh0g: Did you find a solution?

nforced4good
11-17-06, 07:18 PM
you guys using any of the 96.xx drivers?

i started getting that 2 weeks into using them

usid
11-17-06, 08:12 PM
@nforced4good:
I was using 86.xx when this happened.

theh0g
11-18-06, 07:32 AM
No, no sollution so far. I've tried all kinds of drivers. Same happened once in Vista RTM (I don't use it full time), but that might have been different issue, since few days ago I was using it for 2 hours and it didn't crash.

Simptoms in my crashes are same as Usid's.

usid
11-18-06, 11:08 AM
I've now gotten my old gfx (GeForce 5500) and there's no problems what so ever. So I guess my 6600 has served its time, it'll join the endless hardware graveyard...