PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Update

seeker
10-28-06, 08:57 PM
I'm wanting to upgrade my old GeForce 6200, but since I can't afford to buy the best, I want to get the most bang for the buck. I've been looking at a 7600 GS here:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=340768&Pn=GeForce_7600GS_Video_Card

This card has twice the memory of other brands of the same type, but I understand that won't improve the performance much or at all. However, I'm wondering if it would benefit from overclocking with something like Rivatuner, better than it's brethren with 256MBs of memory. In other words, should I even consider the extra memory at all?

CaptNKILL
10-28-06, 09:06 PM
I'd stay away from PNY brand if you can. I've heard nothing but bad things about them in the past. Keep in mind that its actually $160... it has a $30 mail in rebate.

Do you have any other options for stores to buy from? Maybe online?

The selection there is pretty weak and everything seems pretty overpriced.

As to the amount of memory... I wouldn't choose the extra memory over a better brand or higher clock speeds, but if you have a choice between 2 cards of the same brand and speed with different amounts of memory, bigger is better. I don't think 512Mb would really benefit a 7600GS all that much though.

Bearclaw
10-28-06, 09:24 PM
It would be an upgrade at least. I would suggest to shop around and see what else you can find at a decent price.

Redeemed
10-28-06, 09:24 PM
It seems you are stuck on AGP.

That poses a real problem, from a "bang-for-buck" stand point.

Regardless, the 7600GS will probably be your best bet.

If, at all possible, maybe save a bit more $$$ and go with the 7800GS. That, to this day, is the best card available for AGP. And, more than likely, the last card to be made for AGP.

If we get lucky, nVidia might allow an 8600 or such for AGP, but odds are that wont happen. And if it does, it'll be no earlier than the middle of next year.

If there is no possible way that you could ever get the 7800GS, then my recommendation would be get a 7600GS from newegg.com. They are an awesome site that I always order from.

Bearclaw
10-28-06, 09:34 PM
It seems you are stuck on AGP.

That poses a real problem, from a "bang-for-buck" stand point.

Regardless, the 7600GS will probably be your best bet.

If, at all possible, maybe save a bit more $$$ and go with the 7800GS. That, to this day, is the best card available for AGP. And, more than likely, the last card to be made for AGP.

If we get lucky, nVidia might allow an 8600 or such for AGP, but odds are that wont happen. And if it does, it'll be no earlier than the middle of next year.

If there is no possible way that you could ever get the 7800GS, then my recommendation would be get a 7600GS from newegg.com. They are an awesome site that I always order from.
QFT. Newegg seems to always have decent prices (Ecspecially compared to compusa there...). Check them out or save some more and upgrade to a PCI board. Although with PCI-E 2 comign out next year maybe you should just wait for that haha.

seeker
10-28-06, 09:40 PM
Redeemed,

The reason that I need an AGP card is because I can't sacrifice the PCI slots, as most PCIe motherboard are set up. Since I'm also about to order a new X2 processor, my budget is tight, so I just want to make the best of it. I wasn't aware that the 7800GS came in an AGP flavor, so I will look at it, but chances are that the price is too much.

CaptNKILL,

You may be right, but I've had several PNYs and have had fairly good luck. I did have one go out on me, but so did the motherboard at the same time, so I really don't know which caused the problem.

As far as other stores, none locally that are any better. But if I pass on this card, I may well shop online for something.

seeker
10-28-06, 09:43 PM
Bearclaw,

This is the first that I have heard of PCIe2, what is that going to entail? Will current PCIe video cards be compatable with it?

Bearclaw
10-28-06, 09:48 PM
Bearclaw,

This is the first that I have heard of PCIe2, what is that going to entail? Will current PCIe video cards be compatable with it?
It is basically an upgraded (better, faster) PCI-E slot. Kind of like how DDR went to DDR2 and it will soon be DDR3. It will be backwards compatible with PCI-E, yes. I read in article on it in an issue of maximumpc. I'll see if the article is online and if I can find it I will post a link. :D

EDIT: Here is an article from the enquirer, (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25774) not all that great. If you want I'll scan the maximumpc article for you to read?

seeker
10-28-06, 09:52 PM
Redeemed,

I just took a quick glance at pricewatch.com, and that 7800GS is way over my budget...unless I could find a good used one.

seeker
10-28-06, 09:59 PM
Bearclaw,

That an interesting article, but the part that sounded most interesting was this"

The virtualisation feature will allow multiple OSes to run simultaneously and share the platform hardware resources, effectively sharing PCI Express devices.

That sounds like something I would like, being able to run Windows and Linux at the same time on the same machine.

CaptNKILL
10-28-06, 10:04 PM
I'd recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125039

I'm sure there are other cards and other brands out there but that should be a very good card and its about $30 cheaper than the one you linked to earlier. Also, the memory speed is 800Mhz (400Mhz DDR) where as the 512Mb PNY is 540Mhz (270Mhz DDR) according to some other sites.

That would make a pretty huge difference in performance... and its probably how they could afford to double the memory without charging too much more.

stncttr908
10-28-06, 10:14 PM
Don't forget the Radeon X1950 Pro that's coming to AGP.

Slammin
10-28-06, 10:44 PM
I have not even read this entire thread beyond the first sentence which mentioned a Gforce 6200. Never heard of it. Probably because I steer away from budget cards. Lessons learned long ago.

seeker
10-28-06, 10:47 PM
CaptNKILL,

That card reminds me of one that a person wanted to sell me on another forum. It was a used Gigabyte 6800 card. The reason that I mention this, is because that he said that it was so big, that nothing could fit into the PCI slot along side it. Would that also apply to this card?

seeker
10-28-06, 10:50 PM
I have not even read this entire thread beyond the first sentence which mentioned a Gforce 6200. Never heard of it. Probably because I steer away from budget cards. Lessons learned long ago.
Obviously, not everybody is as blessed as you are. Actually the card has done fairly well, within the limits of it's design.

seeker
10-28-06, 10:54 PM
Don't forget the Radeon X1950 Pro that's coming to AGP.
Considering that the cheapest card of that type listed on pricewatch was $ 406.40, I seriously doubt that the AGP version would be in my price range.

InSuboRdiNaTioN
10-28-06, 10:56 PM
I think this eVGA 7600GTS (essentially a GT) for $100 after rebate is a great deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130054

Edit: Nevermind, didn't notice you're AGP.

CaptNKILL
10-28-06, 11:54 PM
CaptNKILL,

That card reminds me of one that a person wanted to sell me on another forum. It was a used Gigabyte 6800 card. The reason that I mention this, is because that he said that it was so big, that nothing could fit into the PCI slot along side it. Would that also apply to this card?
I doubt it.

It looks like a single slot cooler to me. That 6800GT was most likely a dual slot cooling design and was specifically made to take up 2 slots to improve cooling.

Also, its worth noting that this is a passively cooled card, which means it probably isn't a big overclocker... but it will be completely silent because there is no fan.

seeker
10-29-06, 12:08 AM
I clicked on the image to get a better look, and I was surprised to see a "SLI Ready" logo there. I thought that all SLI cards were PCIe.

CaptNKILL
10-29-06, 12:35 AM
I clicked on the image to get a better look, and I was surprised to see a "SLI Ready" logo there. I thought that all SLI cards were PCIe.
Thats definitely a mistake... there is no SLI connector on the card, and SLI only works with PCI-E. Have you ever seen a board with 2 AGP slots? :p

seeker
10-29-06, 01:16 AM
Thats definitely a mistake... there is no SLI connector on the card, and SLI only works with PCI-E. Have you ever seen a board with 2 AGP slots? :p
No, but I did come up with a wild notion about buying a PCIe motherboard and video card, then plugging in my AGP card also. I don't know what would happen, but I thought that it would at least increase the number of ports out, so that you could run twice as many monitors or TVs. Of course, it might turn all of them into ashes. However, with the comment earlier about PCIe2 motherboards coming, and they being able to simutaneously share resources between multiple OSs, maybe it's not so wild of a thought. It would be like getting the benefit of dual booting, without the problems. And, at the same time, not having to turn the living quarters into an electronics store.

seeker
10-29-06, 03:46 PM
I'm wondering how long it will probably be, before the G8000 series has a medium performance card available? How expensive is it likely to be?