PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gaming in Vista64bits ?

Nv40
10-29-06, 01:12 AM
WAs reading that Vista64bits its not compatible with all games..
Oblivion for example is not supported.. in the latest compatibility list..

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

anyone with 64bit gaming experience ?

agentkay
10-29-06, 03:56 AM
I actually want to purchase Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Honestly I donīt care that Oblivion isnīt compatible with Vista64 since I will have a seperate drive with XP(32bit). So when I want to play a game which doesnīt like Vista64 Iīll just boot up the system with the other HDD. :)

Of course Iīm out of luck if a game is Vista32-only. :p

K007
10-29-06, 08:38 AM
Aye i was thinking of going 64bit as well..when they say its not supported..ie oblivion..what do they mean? No game function..nothing at all?..not that it matters..

What matters is more of the future games..for example Crysis is gonna have 64bit support right away..and they said that the game picked up more speed on 64bit over 32bit..so thats another to look at..

a12ctic
10-29-06, 10:26 AM
Couldnt they just throw in a compatability layer? In linux if i want to use a 32bit program I can just force the arcitecture through the command line. Hell, I played oblivion in 64bit linux :p

rewt
10-29-06, 10:29 AM
It's probably just something wrong with the installer/loader. I don't see why Oblivion shouldn't play on x64. After all, an 64-bit processor can also accept x86 instructions.

Morrow
10-29-06, 10:56 AM
I tried Vista RC2 64-bit but unfortunately driver support (graphic and sound) is so bad, that it is totally unusable for games.

64-bit gaming is not ready yet and I expect it to take at least another year until you can play your 64-bit games under windows 64-bit just like you doing it now with the 32-bit versions.

Anyway, it doesn't actually matter because 64-bit does not bring any improvement to gaming except 4+ gb RAM support which is not really required today.

rewt
10-29-06, 11:10 AM
If a game's engine was optimized for 64-bit hardware, then I think there could be much better opportunities for performance improvements. Unfortunately most games are still being written and compiled for 32-bit hardware. And it will probably remain like this for years to come..

K007
10-29-06, 12:49 PM
wait..i just had a look..man just wait for the final os/proper drivers to be out for the game. I am sure a patch will come for oblivion to work in 64bit..if it works in XP 64..then it will work in Vista..as long as we have "REAL" drivers with proper support to games..ATM the public doesn't have performance drivers for Vista...they are all beta and just there to show the Desktop and use the OS..not the games...microsoft probably doesn't want people to get hold of the performance drivers yet..till its final....this info is as usefull as that inq site.

einstein_314
10-29-06, 02:12 PM
I tried Vista RC2 64-bit but unfortunately driver support (graphic and sound) is so bad, that it is totally unusable for games.

64-bit gaming is not ready yet and I expect it to take at least another year until you can play your 64-bit games under windows 64-bit just like you doing it now with the 32-bit versions.

Anyway, it doesn't actually matter because 64-bit does not bring any improvement to gaming except 4+ gb RAM support which is not really required today.
Wait...whos actually gaming in Vista 32bit?!? The drivers are crap for gaming. And no SLI support. I would say that you should wait until there are official drivers for VistaX64 before judging it's gaming performance.

nekrosoft13
10-29-06, 03:17 PM
i will get vista 64bit also

Stoneyguy
10-29-06, 07:20 PM
I had Vista 64 on my machine for a bit. The only game I was playing at the time though was BF 2142. I had to give the game admin rights to play it online, but other then that the game did run fine.

queth
10-30-06, 07:47 AM
wait..i just had a look..man just wait for the final os/proper drivers to be out for the game. I am sure a patch will come for oblivion to work in 64bit..if it works in XP 64..then it will work in Vista..as long as we have "REAL" drivers with proper support to games..ATM the public doesn't have performance drivers for Vista...they are all beta and just there to show the Desktop and use the OS..not the games...microsoft probably doesn't want people to get hold of the performance drivers yet..till its final....this info is as usefull as that inq site.

i'd have to disagree.
i can run quake4, fear, oblivion, etc.. on vista therefore the drivers have the support. they run like they did on xp.

einstein_314
10-30-06, 11:49 AM
i'd have to disagree.
i can run quake4, fear, oblivion, etc.. on vista therefore the drivers have the support. they run like they did on xp.
What drivers are you using?? Because from what I can tell, performance is crap. Probably seems like that for me though because I have SLI...and the drivers don't support SLI yet...so it just seems way worse. I haven't tried running single card in XP to compare. Maybe that's why. I'm just spoiled with the greatness of SLI.