PDA

View Full Version : Price drops

shaker718
10-29-06, 02:09 AM
Any idea what kind of price drops we're likely to see on current gen video cards once the 8800's go on sale on the 8th?

I want to go ahead and purchase a new card soon but I'm wondering if its worth it to wait. If the drop is a matter or 30 to 50 dollars, I won't bother waiting. If it's substantially more, then I don't mind holding on for a bit longer since I will also be upgrading some other parts.

CaptNKILL
10-29-06, 04:00 AM
Its hard to say really. Some times there is a significant price drop, other times, the prices barely change at all.

If you're looking at something high end, then the prices probably wont drop much... the current high end cards will just be phased out and the price will stand (maybe go down a little bit).

The mid range stuff might get cheaper though since they'll probably stay in production for a while until the mid range 8 series cards are released.

Its really hard to say at this point. Lots of people like to wait until new cards are introduced but I have yet to see old cards significantly drop in price when new cards are released. If you look at the prices, its already been happening (the 7950 is down to $475-$550 from $600-700) gradually, so I doubt things will drop much any time soon.

Dazz
10-29-06, 05:04 AM
I think they may drop quite a big as they don't have any DX10 support which i would think NV will push hard. BUt i am sure the G80's will be higher then the RRP.

rudedog
10-29-06, 06:58 AM
until vista and games that are only dx10 arrive I can't see how our old dx9 cards will drop that much.

If supply is bad, then prices will stay the same as the new cards will be overpriced like they always are when first released, if there is plenty of stock and prices are at or below MSRP then the old cards will of course be cheaper the day of launch.

shaker718
10-29-06, 07:42 AM
until vista and games that are only dx10 arrive I can't see how our old dx9 cards will drop that much.

If supply is bad, then prices will stay the same as the new cards will be overpriced like they always are when first released, if there is plenty of stock and prices are at or below MSRP then the old cards will of course be cheaper the day of launch.

This is what I think. When the 7900 series came out I wanted to upgrade but the 7800 series cards never really dropped enough in price to make a purchase worthwhile. I'm set on getting the 7950 (or the 7900gto if they ever make more) and something tells me that when the 8800 cards come out, hard launch or not they are going to go like hotcakes( and be overpriced), hence folks like me will likely just keep buying the 7900 cards and they won't drop because of it.

Im going to get an evga brand card since the thing to do is see what supplies are like at launch and if there are enough, and the prices not ridiculous, just step up to an 8800.