PDA

View Full Version : Some things about Doom I wish they'd bring back.

oldsk00l
10-29-06, 09:34 PM
I was playing some Doom on XBL tonight, coop, DM and solo.

It hits me, what game other than serious sam was the last one I could run into a room/area full of pretty tough bad guys and survive by just strafing around them so that their lines of fire collided with each other and then turn them all against each other?

I really miss that.

Becoming
10-29-06, 09:42 PM
In Dark Messiah I moved so that a summoned undead kept getting hit by the fireballs cast at me by the mage that had summoned them in the first place. I found it rather amusing.

|MaguS|
10-29-06, 09:56 PM
I was playing some Doom on XBL tonight, coop, DM and solo.

It hits me, what game other than serious sam was the last one I could run into a room/area full of pretty tough bad guys and survive by just strafing around them so that their lines of fire collided with each other and then turn them all against each other?

I really miss that.

Friendly Fire happens in Doom all the time... You can get enemies fighting eachother by making them walk into the others line of fire. I use to love watching Grunts and Imps fight and even Hell Knights and Pinkies.

oldsk00l
10-29-06, 10:53 PM
Friendly Fire happens in Doom all the time... You can get enemies fighting eachother by making them walk into the others line of fire. I use to love watching Grunts and Imps fight and even Hell Knights and Pinkies.

One of my fave levels of all time was in Doom2 where you go into a room chock full of hellknights with their backs to you, but a cyberdemon facing you against a far wall in front of all the hellknights.

Cyberdemon sees you, pops off volleys of rockets toward you, rockets hit hell knights, hell knights get pissed and start attacking the cyberdemon.

Rakeesh
10-29-06, 11:19 PM
I remember liking how in the original half life if a bullsquid saw a headcrab, it would go and attack it without being provoked.

|MaguS|
10-29-06, 11:23 PM
Yeah and Combine attack Zombies in HL2.

Becoming
10-29-06, 11:37 PM
Goblins and spiders don't get along in Dark Messiah either. It's rather amusing watching them attack each other.

Rakeesh
10-29-06, 11:53 PM
Yeah and Combine attack Zombies in HL2.

Yeah but that wasn't as fun as watching the bullsquids. The combine just dance around in a sideways motion while firing. The bullsquids would spit at them, and before the acid even hit anything they would charge after them and do that little headbutt thing followed by the tail whip. I used to always nudge scientists into a room with a bullsquid just to watch him attack them, lol.

Capt. Picard
10-30-06, 12:07 AM
In Quake 2 enemy friendly fire also happened. Especially amusing with those big guys with a spike on one arm and a sledgehammer (I think) in the other.

Brimstone7
10-30-06, 09:02 PM
Doom 3 supposedly kept this feature. However, I don't think zombies would ever fight other monsters and monsters of the same species wouldn't attack each other. For whatever reason it was very rare to have 2 different types of monsters in the same room at the same time and I've actually never seen this happen before.

oldsk00l
10-30-06, 10:53 PM
Well, and let's not forget HL2 with the ant lions that you sicked on a COMBINE BASE!!!! Bwahaha that absolutely RAWKED.

I must have played that level a million times. Using the spore thingy to attract massive amounts ant lions onto poor combine soldiers. Then they'd cover you while you take out the flier.

Absolutely loved it.

uOpt
10-30-06, 11:46 PM
That is one of my favorite aspects of Doom/Doom2, too. Many monsters.

Since the advent of highly detailed 3D Monsters that party is over, though, as you can't draw them with current graphics technology. The screenshots on the back of the box have to look nice so scaling them down is not an option.

grey_1
10-31-06, 06:17 AM
That is one of my favorite aspects of Doom/Doom2, too. Many monsters.

Since the advent of highly detailed 3D Monsters that party is over, though, as you can't draw them with current graphics technology. The screenshots on the back of the box have to look nice so scaling them down is not an option.

I thought Painkiller did an incredible job with many detailed monsters at once. It didn't have that certain element of 'fun' that Doom had though.

CaptNKILL
10-31-06, 07:12 AM
This was why I was soooo disappointed with Doom 3. It was nothing like Doom 1 and 2.

I loved the massive amounts of enemies in Doom and Doom 2. To this day there hasnt been anything quite like leveling whole rooms full of undead soldiers with rockets and plasma fire.

One of my favorite moments in gaming (ever) was when I first found the switch in E1M2 of Doom that opens the door to the outer area full of baddies (shotgun guys) where you can pick up the minigun. It sucked having to run through them to get the gun, but it was so worth it spinning around and mowing them all down. :D

Classic. :)

The last level of the first episode was awesome too with the Barons of hell inside the pedestals, and when you move forward they run out and then pink demons fill the huge star-shaped room.