PDA

View Full Version : Will they ever make a good game about Pirates?

nekrosoft13
10-29-06, 10:17 PM
Just like the title says. Will they ever make a good game about Pirates?

I would like to see a good Action/RPG hybrid with pirates theme. I was hoping that Age of Pirates would be that game, but its not.

Banko
10-29-06, 10:21 PM
Well Sid Meier's Pirates is a pretty good adventure game...

|MaguS|
10-29-06, 10:25 PM

So true, I loved the game...

nekrosoft13
10-29-06, 11:04 PM

ok, but i mean something in first person action/rpg hybrid

nrdstrm
10-29-06, 11:53 PM
They are making a few MMO's, but that doesn't address your need (Action/FPS)...

LycosV
10-30-06, 12:40 AM
Pirates! is a great game. I don't really think that pirating would make a good first person game. I've never been impressed with swordplay in a first person game and piracy is all about the swordplay.

Capt. Picard
10-30-06, 12:53 AM
I think it's time for another Monkey Island.

Becoming
10-30-06, 01:30 AM
Pirates! is a great game. I don't really think that pirating would make a good first person game. I've never been impressed with swordplay in a first person game and piracy is all about the swordplay.

*Points in the direction of Dark Messiah's awesome combat*

I'd definitely play a pirate game or a big world fantasy game with that sort of sweet combat.

Edge
10-30-06, 02:19 AM
http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Anyway, there's been quite a few pirate games, but not many that can really be considered great. There's Sea Dogs, Pirates of the Caribbean, Legend of Black Kat, Uncharted Waters, Sid Meier's Pirates!, and a few others I probably can't even remember, but most are third person action/adventure games.

There was a pirate mod that was being made for BF1942, but I'm not sure how it ever turned out...I played a really early beta version and it might've had potential (the ship to ship combat would've been really fun), however I heard they stopped work on it before it was complete.

I don't know of any upcoming games that are specifically about pirates either...I'm not sure what happened to the Sea Dogs series after they turned the second game into Pirates of the Caribbean.

nVidi0t
10-30-06, 06:48 AM
Yep, I'm still hoping for a good pirate fps. At least one wish was granted with Call of Juarez this year, I was about to give up on a good western fps, or a western fps at all!

nekrosoft13
10-30-06, 07:22 AM
Call of Juarez is an amazing game, finally a good western. same formula wouldn't work for a pirate game.

it would have to be something with open seas, large area.

a12ctic
10-30-06, 07:29 AM
There was a pirate mod that was being made for BF1942, but I'm not sure how it ever turned out...I played a really early beta version and it might've had potential (the ship to ship combat would've been really fun), however I heard they stopped work on it before it was complete.

Yes its very incomplete, the modles are just horrible, the textures are worse, the maps are missing tons of detail. Its not even close to a good game.

stncttr908
10-30-06, 01:10 PM
Just like the title says. Will they ever make a good game about Pirates?

I would like to see a good Action/RPG hybrid with pirates theme. I was hoping that Age of Pirates would be that game, but its not.
What's the problem with Age of Pirates? I heard that the hand to hand combat sucked at the ports were too drab. Is that true?

nekrosoft13
10-30-06, 01:22 PM
whole game feels weird

combat, very limited dialogs, sea combat. story is poor.