PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card compatible?

Monkyeman
10-30-06, 12:28 PM
Hi,

I have placed an order for The Lord of the Rings: The battle for Middle Earth Collectors Edition, although I am unsure as to the compatibility of the game with my graphics card.

The game requires the following:

OS - Windows XP
Processor - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.6 GHz
Memory - 256 MB RAM
Hard Drive - 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card - 64 MB*
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX - Version 9.0c
LAN - TCP/IP Compliant, 2-8 players
Online - 56.6 Kbps; 2 Players
Online - Broadband; 3-8 Players
Input - Keyboard, Mouse
video cards: NVIDIA GeForce3 or greater

My computer meets all those, although I am unsure of the graphics card.
I have an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS. Will this game work with it? Is this graphics card any good?

Thanks for the help!

Daydre@m
10-30-06, 01:49 PM
LOL thats a Geforce 7 ( three generations ahead of the recommended card ). It should let the game fly....

Just make sure you have updated drivers along with latest game patches and your all set.

Xion X2
10-30-06, 02:01 PM
Uhh, the game is top-down and the characters are all the size of small chess pieces. It is also turn-based.

Yes... the game will run fine. :)

stncttr908
10-30-06, 02:08 PM
Uhh, the game is top-down and the characters are all the size of small chess pieces. It is also turn-based.

Yes... the game will run fine. :)
What are you talking about? LOTR:BFME is an RTS. :captnkill:

Xion X2
10-30-06, 02:13 PM
When I played it before, it was an RTS turn-based game. The characters all moved wherever you pointed your mouse and clicked at.

Has that changed?

stncttr908
10-30-06, 02:24 PM
Turn based means you plot out your moves and then set them in action. Each side has turns. Real time strategy is the exact opposite, since it's real time as the name says. :D

Monkyeman
10-30-06, 02:25 PM
That was just one of the 'mini games' in the actual game called 'War of the Ring'. The proper game is an RTS.

So, do you think this card is good enough to last a few more years for playing new games?

stncttr908
10-30-06, 02:27 PM
Well that depends on the types of games you generally play. Unfortunately DX10 is on the horizon which eventually will make all current cards (DX9.0c compliant) obsolete. The new NVIDIA series due out next month is the first DX10 line available.

Monkyeman
10-30-06, 03:14 PM
How much do you reckon a decent next gen card would cost? And would it just be a case of replacing my current one with the new one?
Also, isn't the release supposed to be Q1 2007?

ViN86
10-30-06, 03:26 PM
Well that depends on the types of games you generally play. Unfortunately DX10 is on the horizon which eventually will make all current cards (DX9.0c compliant) obsolete. The new NVIDIA series due out next month is the first DX10 line available.
well, they wont be obsolete. you can still play DX10 games with DX9 cards (most games will still carry dx9 support), however, the game wont be rendered in DX10.

and for all of you out there who dont want to switch to vista, directx 9.0L will make DX10 games compatible with windows XP ;)

however, its still unknown as to what the differences between the three renditions will be.

Daydre@m
10-30-06, 03:38 PM
well, they wont be obsolete. you can still play DX10 games with DX9 cards (most games will still carry dx9 support), however, the game wont be rendered in DX10.

and for all of you out there who dont want to switch to vista, directx 9.0L will make DX10 games compatible with windows XP ;)

however, its still unknown as to what the differences between the three renditions will be.
Agreed. The hardware actually wont go obsolete, it will still work ( might be a little slow ) and you might miss some small features but it WONT go obsolete any time soon ( if that was the case then sm2.0 cards should have been burried by last year ). lol even I am playing on a 6600 Standard for 2 years and its still going on. The Game developers are not idioits, they support all type of hardware in the market to make the maximum profits from their games. So I am guessing your card can work for another year as far as games go. Now about how do you want to play games; totally depends on you. What I am saying is that it depends on you as to what you find playable and what setting do you want to play on. If you want to play medium/high then you will have to upgrade your GPU in about the mid of next year when some really demanding games hit the shelves.

Monkyeman
10-30-06, 04:36 PM
Nice. Well, due to the fact I am taking GCSE exams early next year, I should receive some sort of payment if I do well. :p
I reckon I could probarly get one of, if not the most high-end graphics card out next year, how much do you reckon that would set me back?

I think my PC can cope for a few more years if I get a high-end graphics card. It has 3.2Ghz and 2.00GB RAM so my PC is fine for games. I just want the best graphics card out so my PC will be able to play the most demanding games for at least 2-3 years.

Cheers.