PDA

View Full Version : Some early 8800 GTX prices...Ouch

Pages : [1] 2

shadow001
10-30-06, 05:53 PM
Granted they were forced to take those down,but Atacom had a BFG and a PNY 8800gtx isted at 800$ a pop...Here's the link(scroll down)

http://www.the-inquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35416

Guess we'll see the real prices next week,but with no competition form ATI till early next year,things could be nasty,price wise.

queth
10-30-06, 05:56 PM
if its 2 times as fast as a 7950 gx2 and 4 times faster when using dx10 its well worth 800$

shadow001
10-30-06, 06:02 PM
if its 2 times as fast as a 7950 gx2 and 4 times faster when using dx10 its well worth 800$

I think you're going to be disapointed if you think it'll be 2x faster in raw speed over a GX2....8800GTX only has about 10 gig/sec more memory bandwith than a GX2(75 gig/sec vs 86 gig/sec)..

As for being 4x times faster in DX10,by the time we even have 5~6 DX10 games on store shelves,there will be faster refreshes of both the 8800 GTX as well as the R600 cards on store shelves...So it's a moot point.

SH64
10-30-06, 06:06 PM
Dont "OUCH" ... early prices are always high.

Ancient
10-30-06, 06:10 PM
If the supply is limited upon release, which it very likely will be, the price gougers will be out in force. It happens all the time, particularly when video cards are involved. The retail outlets are very aware that people will be clamoring on release day and many will be glad to pay a premium. Caveat emptor.

I'll be waiting for the supply to loosen up and for prices to become competitive before picking mine up.

anticitizenzero
10-30-06, 06:10 PM
I was expecting around 600 for this card, from places like newegg and zipzoomfly, these smaller vendors always try to ****ing rip people off.

grimreefer
10-30-06, 06:29 PM
I think you're going to be disapointed if you think it'll be 2x faster in raw speed over a GX2....8800GTX only has about 10 gig/sec more memory bandwith than a GX2(75 gig/sec vs 86 gig/sec)..

As for being 4x times faster in DX10,by the time we even have 5~6 DX10 games on store shelves,there will be faster refreshes of both the 8800 GTX as well as the R600 cards on store shelves...So it's a moot point.
128 unified shaders! 384 bit bus! high clocks on everything! 768mb of ram!
it'll easily rape a gx2 lol
although its hard to quantify how much faster one card is than another, lets just say it will be alot faster

BrianG
10-30-06, 06:35 PM
I was expecting around 600 for this card, from places like newegg and zipzoomfly, these smaller vendors always try to ****ing rip people off.
If you don't see value in buying at $800, then don't do it. How about that? How is it ripping people off if people are willing to pay it?

It would be ripping people off if they put a GTS in a GTX box. Nope, this is just supply and demand, yet again. Every release is the same...

Skinner
10-30-06, 06:48 PM
Heh, happens every time when new cards are on preorder before lauch, 600-650 it will be.

OWA
10-30-06, 06:51 PM
Granted they were forced to take those down,but Atacom had a BFG and a PNY 8800gtx isted at 800$ a pop...Here's the link(scroll down)

http://www.the-inquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35416

Guess we'll see the real prices next week,but with no competition form ATI till early next year,things could be nasty,price wise.
BFG is listed for $655 and PNY for $623 at Etech4sale. Not bad, especially for early prices. I'm hoping the official prices and places like newegg will have them for less but if not, it's still not too bad considering what I've paid for some of the cards during recent launches.

SH0DAN
10-30-06, 06:57 PM
I once paid 900 cdn for a Geforce 2 Ultra on launch day,and was happy to pay it :) I expect to pay a premium for top end performance.

anticitizenzero
10-30-06, 07:13 PM
If you don't see value in buying at $800, then don't do it. How about that? How is it ripping people off if people are willing to pay it?

It would be ripping people off if they put a GTS in a GTX box. Nope, this is just supply and demand, yet again. Every release is the same...

umm, heres a quick example of what i'm talking about, and i'm sure there are numberous other ones out there.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__XFX_GeForce_7900_GTX_Video_Card,__17687590/search=XFX+7900+GTX

on price grabber.com this xfx 7900 gtx has 3 different seller prices listed, which very by 50 bucks, i've seen way worse than that as well, upwards of 100.

GTVAPSAMTIK
10-30-06, 07:55 PM
Dude $800 is CRazy for G8800 GTX , Its not worth for even $600 wait till E600 comes out and I bet by Jan nVIDIA will come out with Improved DX10 Generation of Cards. And by that time we will see some Dx10 Titles. And same cards will sell for lot less as improved ones will take over like Geforce 7800 and then Geforce 7900 within few months.

GTVAPSAMTIK
10-30-06, 07:59 PM
although its hard to quantify how much faster one card is than another, lets just say it will be alot faster

I cant wait to see official results. Bcuz right now it seems that G80 isnt that faster then GX2's. My Factory OCed Gx2 Gives me 10.XX + SCores in 3DMARK 06 VS G80 12K + Scores in 3DMARK 06.

2K isnt impressive at all. But time will tell.

Blacklash
10-30-06, 08:00 PM
Well I'm not spending 800usd. I am definitely waiting for prices to drop if that is where they will be at release. Besides I want to see how GT versions OC, and what the AF will be like.

shadow001
10-31-06, 09:21 AM

Guess we'll see,but like it was mentioned before,for all that hardware and getting about 2k more in 3d mark than a 7950GX2 can if it used the same CPU(Quad core Kentsfield),and the 384 bit bus is a moot point since the GX2 has a 512 bit one(256 bit for each GPU :D ),and they now sell for under 500$,and will likely get cheaper still after the G80 is out,and there's no DX10 games out,wich is the whole point of getting a DX10 card in the first place....

Let's just say,it's an uphill battle,when the previous Nvidia High speed champ is this fast to begin with,and quite a bit cheaper to boot....I know the single GPU vs dual GPU argument will show up,but all that matters to me in the end is how fast it is,and how much i payed for it(Yep,i own a 7950GX2 myself).

CaptNKILL
10-31-06, 09:29 AM
Guess we'll see,but like it was mentioned before,for all that hardware and getting about 2k more in 3d mark than a 7950GX2 can if it used the same CPU(Quad core Kentsfield),and the 384 bit bus is a moot point since the GX2 has a 512 bit one(256 bit for each GPU :D ),and they now sell for under 500$,and will likely get cheaper still after the G80 is out,and there's no DX10 games out,wich is the whole point of getting a DX10 card in the first place....

Let's just say,it's an uphill battle,when the previous Nvidia High speed champ is this fast to begin with,and quite a bit cheaper to boot....I know the single GPU vs dual GPU argument will show up,but all that matters to me in the end is how fast it is,and how much i payed for it(Yep,i own a 7950GX2 myself).
For what its worth, the 7950 GX2's "512bit bus" isn't really giving a performance benefit. Same with the memory size. Since twice the amount of data is being sent and stored (half on each card), the second card's bandwidth and memory are being used for basically nothing extra.There isn't any performance increase related to bandwidth or video memory capacity when using SLI.

So the 8800GTX's 384bit bus is actually a unique feature. :)

Xion X2
10-31-06, 09:32 AM
There are so many errors flying about this forum in regards to the G80 that it's comical. It's funny to see a lot of these guys trying to convince themselves not to upgrade.

High comedy!

shadow001
10-31-06, 09:38 AM
For what its worth, the 7950 GX2's "512bit bus" isn't really giving a performance benefit. Same with the memory size. Since twice the amount of data is being sent and stored (half on each card), the second card's bandwidth and memory are being used for basically nothing extra.There isn't any performance increase related to bandwidth or video memory capacity when using SLI.

So the 8800GTX's 384bit bus is actually a unique feature. :)

LOL....That's why at high resolutions with AA+AF,where the extra memory bandwith is king,a 7950 GX2 isn't any faster than a single 7900 GTX right,even though that one has it's GPU clocked 150 mhz faster and uses faster RAM as well...

Yup,that second 256 bit memory bus(+ extra GPU) really isn't doing anything at all...:p

CaptNKILL
10-31-06, 09:42 AM
LOL....That's why at high resolutions with AA+AF,where the extra memory bandwith is king,a 7950 GX2 isn't any faster than a single 7900 GTX right,even though that one has it's GPU clocked 150 mhz faster and uses faster RAM as well...

Yup,that second 256 bit memory bus(+ extra GPU) really isn't doing anything at all...:p
I dont know what to tell you. Everything I've heard up to this point with regards to SLI has said that the same data is being sent over both 256bit buses and the same data is being stored in both 512Mb banks of memory.

Twice the data over twice the bandwidth into twice the amount of memory does not give you a performance increase.

shadow001
10-31-06, 09:45 AM
There are so many errors flying about this forum in regards to the G80 that it's comical. It's funny to see a lot of these guys trying to convince themselves not to upgrade.

High comedy!

For me anyways,it'll be a hard sell for the reasons i've already mentioned,since i don't simply decide on getting a card simply on benchmark numbers,regardless of the performance i'm getting with my current card,wich is plenty fast...Even on a 24" LCD at 1920*1200 with 2~4X AA and Maxed AF at high quality settings and still have 60 FPS+ in the games i play.

So a G80 will put up even bigger numbers at those settings,wich some could consider a big deal,but since i already have enough FPS to play smoothly,all it means to me is a bigger FPS number at the corner of your screen,if the game allows it to be displayed.

shadow001
10-31-06, 09:49 AM
I dont know what to tell you. Everything I've heard up to this point with regards to SLI has said that the same data is being sent over both 256bit buses and the same data is being stored in both 512Mb banks of memory.

Twice the data over twice the bandwidth into twice the amount of memory does not give you a performance increase.

Look at the benchmark numbers of a 7950 GX2 compared any single GPU card,even those single GPU cards clocked much higher in terms of GPU and memory speeds,and they all get owned at high resolutions with AA+AF enabled.

Whatever it's doing,it works,and right now,they're under 500$,wich makes them 150$ cheaper than an 8800 GTX,if the retailers stick to the recommended MSRP that Nvidia suggests for them,otherwise they'll be far more expensive.

CaptNKILL
10-31-06, 09:56 AM
Look at the benchmark numbers of a 7950 GX2 compared any single GPU card,even those single GPU cards clocked much higher in terms of GPU and memory speeds,and they all get owned at high resolutions with AA+AF enabled.

Whatever it's doing,it works,and right now,they're under 500$,wich makes them 150$ cheaper than an 8800 GTX,if the retailers stick to the recommended MSRP that Nvidia suggests for them,otherwise they'll be far more expensive.
Well yeah, the cards are fast because they have twice the pipes of a 7900GTX and run at 500Mhz. :p

I was just correcting you on the "2x256bit is faster than 384bit" comment.

Xion X2
10-31-06, 10:01 AM
Shadow--you don't know what you're talking about. I'll just leave it at that, for now. If you want a real bruising, though, just keep on going like you are now. I'll be keeping an eye on this topic.

Suffice it to say that it's quite evident you're a little defensive that your almighty GX2 might be outperformed by a single-GPU card pretty soon. And the hell of it is that it won't even be close.

shadow001
10-31-06, 10:04 AM
Well yeah, the cards are fast because they have twice the pipes of a 7900GTX and run at 500Mhz. :p

I was just correcting you on the "2x256bit is faster than 384bit" comment.

It can be made much faster if a GPU maker wanted it...I Just noticed that you have a GX2 as well,but it's running at quite high clocks,especially on the memory side of things....

At those clocks in fact,you have about the same total memory bandwith than an 8800 GTX in fact.....So it remains to see how much faster will an 8800 GTX be over your GX2 in those situations where overall memory bandwith has a large impact on final performance,regardless if it's a single 384 bit,or 2 x 256 ones...