PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 360 tomorrow... warrenty & a game?

Hambone
10-30-06, 05:18 PM
Eh those Gears Of War ingame videos were enough to push me over the edge.

I have two choices:
-Walmart (probably easier to exchange one if needed - and for a longer period of time)
-Gamestop/Ebgames (can get an extended 1yr warrenty for $39.99... seems like a ripoff. But, I've read so much about 360's dying).

I need a game too... One to hold me over until Gears Of War comes out. I've played Oblivion on the PC so I'll pass on that. What's fun, lasts a long time and shows off the 360 in all it's glory?

Thanks!

edit: wow, I just went up to a 10 post per year average! Go me.

oldsk00l
10-30-06, 05:20 PM
Kameo is a hell of a game at a bargain too.

In your shoes though, GRAW is probably the best bet.

GamerGuyX
10-30-06, 05:21 PM
I suggest Dead Rising.

LiquidX
10-30-06, 06:06 PM
I would order from Amazon if its option because there is no tax or shipping fees and you get $50 towards either Dead Rising (a must have), Oblivion, Madden 07 or Lego Wars. Also I would get the warranty offered by in the box from Microsoft as you can get a 2-year plan for I believe $49 if you call in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_3741412_3/002-3755860-2558461?ie=UTF8&docId=1000010981

top3koms
10-30-06, 06:12 PM
You might try BestBuy ,I got mine there and was able to get a 2 yr. replacement warranty with it.I would also suggest Dead Rising.

NaitoSan
10-30-06, 06:27 PM
i suggest getting 360 from bestbuy since they're so good about replacing, free of charge with 2 years replacement plan. you can renew when it expires. i replaced my psp for 6th times until i get one with no dead pixel. :) they're ok with that.

saturnotaku
10-31-06, 05:24 AM
i suggest getting 360 from bestbuy since they're so good about replacing, free of charge with 2 years replacement plan. you can renew when it expires. i replaced my psp for 6th times until i get one with no dead pixel. :) they're ok with that.

Then you are certainly the exception rather than the rule. There are horror stories about Best Buy that would take hours upon hours to read.

You can buy the system from anywhere, but I highly recommend doing what LiquidX said and purchase the warranty directly from Microsoft. It's not that expensive, and MS' support is first rate. If you need service, they're reliable and extremely fast on the turnaround. Often times you'll have your system back within a week of sending it.

nekrosoft13
10-31-06, 01:27 PM
i ****ing hate best buy!!, never gonna buy another eletronic from them again, NEVER!

Peoples-Agent
10-31-06, 04:18 PM
Wait a bit longer and get Gears of War bundled, pretty sure alot of places will be doing that.

crainger
10-31-06, 04:45 PM
Wait a bit longer and get Gears of War bundled, pretty sure alot of places will be doing that.

2nd'd

If you can't wait and haven't played the PC version of Lego Starwars 2 go for the 360 version. It has slightly nicer graphics and is pretty cheap. Or if you like fighting games go for DOA4. It looks good, is 360 exclusive and can entertain your gf in two player.

Hambone
10-31-06, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get one today (tomorrow or Thurs on the way home from work I think now).

Picking just 1 game to start with is annoying. Man I have a christmas list made out for the family though. :)

(ot)
------------
I'm selling my PSP to fund a chunk of the 360 and my friend at work who's buying will have the cash tomorrow (Gamestop only offers $60 trade in and it's a 1.50'r so screw them). Even though my PSP is at 1.50 and I can play anything (cough), I always end up playing my DS Lite at lunch. One big thing is the screens are brighter and much easier to see if I'm kicking back in my car at lunch (Even low daylight and the PSP makes me squint). The lite is really the same size roughly as a PSP but it feels more like a portable device than the PSP for some reason. (ug, and loading times on the UMD's when I play a real UMD). I hope I don't regret selling it........
------------

Bundle Hmm... Everyone I look at right now is within $20 of buying everything seperate
$489 package http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B020253AA

-Seperate-
$399 Pro
$29 - Perfect Dark Zero
$29 - multimedia remote
$19 - recharge thing
--------
$476 ..... A $14 savings for the package

Mail Order... Nah, I want the thrill of getting the box in my hands for instant gratification for this one.

Best Buy... About three years ago I bought a cell phone there and got the extended warranty. The only reason I got it was for the battery replacement feature of it. The guy there *swore* that I would just need to bring the battery in if it ever went bad and they'd give me a new one (I double checked this point like 3 times.. three years ago batteries wore out much faster than now). Eight month later the battery died and I went back in. The only thing they would do for me is "recondition" it on a machine there which meant I would have to make another trip up there the next day (not a great big deal except I was lied to and I was expecting a brand new battery - not a half-arse refurb job). This ended up with a manager actually playing mind games on me and yelling at me (he went through patronizing questions like how far away I lived and how it wasn't a big deal to drive back up there). I think at the end I was screaming "F... You". I should have went completely mental and demanded the store manager come out, but I just wanted to get out of there before I stroked. Screw them. I haven't bought anything from Best Buy since that happened three years ago.

S.I.N
10-31-06, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get one today (tomorrow or Thurs on the way home from work I think now).

Picking just 1 game to start with is annoying. Man I have a christmas list made out for the family though. :)

(ot)
------------
I'm selling my PSP to fund a chunk of the 360 and my friend at work who's buying will have the cash tomorrow (Gamestop only offers $60 trade in and it's a 1.50'r so screw them). Even though my PSP is at 1.50 and I can play anything (cough), I always end up playing my DS Lite at lunch. One big thing is the screens are brighter and much easier to see if I'm kicking back in my car at lunch (Even low daylight and the PSP makes me squint). The lite is really the same size roughly as a PSP but it feels more like a portable device than the PSP for some reason. (ug, and loading times on the UMD's when I play a real UMD). I hope I don't regret selling it........
------------

Bundle Hmm... Everyone I look at right now is within $20 of buying everything seperate
$489 package http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B020253AA

-Seperate-
$399 Pro
$29 - Perfect Dark Zero
$29 - multimedia remote
$19 - recharge thing
--------
$476 ..... A $14 savings for the package

Mail Order... Nah, I want the thrill of getting the box in my hands for instant gratification for this one.

Best Buy... About three years ago I bought a cell phone there and got the extended warranty. The only reason I got it was for the battery replacement feature of it. The guy there *swore* that I would just need to bring the battery in if it ever went bad and they'd give me a new one (I double checked this point like 3 times.. three years ago batteries wore out much faster than now). Eight month later the battery died and I went back in. The only thing they would do for me is "recondition" it on a machine there which meant I would have to make another trip up there the next day (not a great big deal except I was lied to and I was expecting a brand new battery - not a half-arse refurb job). This ended up with a manager actually playing mind games on me and yelling at me (he went through patronizing questions like how far away I lived and how it wasn't a big deal to drive back up there). I think at the end I was screaming "F... You". I should have went completely mental and demanded the store manager come out, but I just wanted to get out of there before I stroked. Screw them. I haven't bought anything from Best Buy since that happened three years ago.

I'll give you $90 for the PSP. Also you might want to check the link Liquid gave up to. Why over pay?

evilchris
10-31-06, 10:27 PM
Splinter Cell and Prey look pretty good on the system.

Peoples-Agent
11-01-06, 12:59 AM
Splinter Cell and Prey look pretty good on the system.

Splinter Cell though, you either love it or hate it.
This time around, I just couldn't be bothered with it and i've took it back. LOL
Get the cash stuck on a gift card or something and i'll use it towards Call of Duty 3.

Hambone
11-01-06, 07:54 PM
Well I got it ... yippeee. :)

1080i worked fine. I need to go get a VGA adapter though. My 26" LCD in my gameroom has a VGA port on it and I had to unplug my PS2 composites to connect the 360.

I decided to go with the Microsoft 2 year warrenty. I live in TX so I'm close to that new repair center.

I also put my $5 down on GoW. The guy at the Gamestop said they'll be open at Midnight next Monday... can't wait.