PDA

View Full Version : :D ... Just got a Dreamcast... 'net play still active? LAN?

ragejg
02-24-03, 07:15 AM
Didn't think I'd get another console, but I couldn't pass a Dreamcast up... IMO AWESOME dx7-class gfx!! (but the controllers are made for small hands!! ehhh!!)

I remember someone mentioning that you can still do multiplayer NFL 2k1 (still a fun game) on the internet... and that it's not through sega's subscription svce... Well, I have that game, and will be on broadband in a couple weeks... The dreamcast might play second fiddle and be hidden under a countertop with a kbd/mouse hooked up for 13" tv browsing, but I wanna explore the prospect of playing Quake 3 on that system... maybe LAN? I'll have 2 post-Q3 systems already hooked up, and if I could, I'd like to do LAN multiplayer... If that's not possible, then is it still at least possible to do internet multiplayer Q3 on a dreamcast?

... and if I can do none of this, I'll still get a kick out of Soul Calibur... IMO still the best fighting game ever...

sytaylor
02-24-03, 01:04 PM
the dc is a typical post 1995 sega console... incredible and shockingly overlooked, read reviews, buy games and thank me later ;)

saturnotaku
02-24-03, 03:44 PM
Ahh, the lovely Dreamcast. Still a better product than any recent Ninlenblow console.

Don't forget Shenmue either, God I love that game. :D

Another..."interesting" game for the DC is Samba de Amigo - sort of a twisted version of Dance Dance Revolution. And you can also get Bleemcast, which would allow you to play Grand Turismo 2 on the DC. I heard that it works really well, and you can find those on ebay. :D

ragejg
02-24-03, 04:02 PM
I'll do GT2 on my PC on my TV, thank you... :D Newer ePSXe versions add more than bleemcast did...

Yeah I have the option to get Shenmue... it's that 4 disc game, right?

And Power Stone... I gotta score that...

But what about internet/lan play? ???

:confused:

sytaylor
02-25-03, 06:56 AM
shenmue is 4 disks, 3 playable...

i'd say the only game truley worthy of th etitle "interactive movie" becaause for 1 6th of the story its freakin massive! If im ever ill for two weeks again i think ill play through the sequel lol!

saturnotaku
02-25-03, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by sytaylor
i'd say the only game truley worthy of th etitle "interactive movie" becaause for 1 6th of the story its freakin massive! If im ever ill for two weeks again i think ill play through the sequel lol!

Actually I would add Metal Gear Solid 2 to that short list of interactive movie games as well. The story and such may not be all that, but I've seen MGS2 and with all the cutscenes, etc it sure feels like you're part of a movie.

But Shenmue/II will always be tops on my list. That game is fast becoming a Half-Life for me, a game I will never tire of playing. :D

Edge
02-27-03, 07:59 AM
Ahh yes, Dreamcast. The best system noone ever played...well, lots of people played it but obviasly not enough. I got mine on launch day with Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. Since then, I've realized that every other console in the history of consoles has really sucky launch games. Anyway, back on topic:

Well pretty much all the servers that played DC games online is down, PSO *might* still be up but I doubt it. And I didn't think other people could host games w/o sega's server being up...I know one guy was working on a PSO homebrew server but I don't think it's advanced enough to work well yet. And if you wanna use Broadband with DC, you'd need a Broad Band Adaptor, but those are really rare and so cost like $100 (not to mention very few games work with it).

And there isn't any lan-play for DC, unfortunatly. a couple of games support System Link for 2 consoles though a special link cable (which wasn't released in America), but nothing quite as robust as Xbox's lan support, sorry.

oh well, guess I'll have to catch PSO on the Xbox, since I missed it on the DC (no internet until a few months ago, grr).

dohcmark8
03-02-03, 09:31 AM
I love my DC! *hugs her*:D

Edge
03-03-03, 01:19 AM
Her? I like my dreamcast, but not enough to call it a her! and now to begin the jokes:

Hey! That's not what the expansion slot is for!

"Why isn't the dreamcast working? I try to turn it on but nothing happens!"
"yeah, it's probably it's time of the month"

"I don't know about running these user-made programs on my Dreamcast...it just seems so much like it's cheating on me..."

"look, I'm just not ready to get into a serious relationship with a discontinued product. I think we should see other consoles."

Ok, those sucked, but I was bored and had nothing better to do.

sytaylor
03-03-03, 01:22 AM
anyone ever see the lil quicktime movie of a ps2 vs a dc? God that thing was funny, it was posted on ign about 2 years ago

Edge
03-03-03, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that. It showed the DC and a VMU VS. a PS2, first they started talking smack about eachother and then they did all these karate moves (though I don't know how they could...they're CONSOLES!). Very silly, but entertaining. If someone has it could they post it somewhere? I doubt it's still on IGN.