PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else just thinking about keeping their 7950 GX2?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tygerwoody
10-31-06, 12:50 PM
From the benchmarks I have seen, I'm not really sure if the G80 will be worth upgrading from a 7950GX2. Sure the G80 will be faster and I don't have to bother with these SLI settings any long. On top of that, the G80 has DX10 support. Sounds great on paper.

Lets be serious now. While the G80 is marginally faster than the 7950GX2 in Direct X 9 and perhaps a good bit faster once DX10 is put into place(this is all in theory due to no official benchmarks released), the bottom line is that DX10 isn't even out yet and won't be out for quite some time. So in theory, without DX10 people with 7950GX2 cards should perhaps stay where they are.

When you think about whats going on from a marketing standpoint, people are going to be buying the G80 purely because it has DX10 support. Nvidia knows this. I'm going on a hunch that this G80 card that is being released will still be a good bit slower than the R600. I am also going on a hunch that Nvidia has a faster version of this very same G80, but it will not release until the R600 rears its ugly head. When the R600 is released, it will be a good bit faster than Nvidias card. Along comes Nvidia with its already refresh card and smashes the competition once again.

Anyway, I do believe that this G80 and its refresh will be the difference in the 7800GTX and the 7900GTX in terms of speed, which is quite a huge difference. Definitely big enough for someone to want to upgrade from a 7800GTX to a 7900GTX. While I love to stay head of the ball game in the video card world, i do believe I will wait until Vista is released and we finally do have DX10 to see what the two video cards are really like. If I was to still have a 7900GTX or anything below that, I would say "yea sure lets upgrade to the G80". The performance of the 7950GX2 is too close and there really is no reason to upgrade(to me at least).

Anyone else feel like I do? As in how I feel the G80 is just a stepping stone to its refresh card that will quite possibly be a good bit faster? This will cause people with G80's to want to upgrade as well(AGAIN!).

OWA
10-31-06, 12:50 PM
No.

Mr_LoL
10-31-06, 12:53 PM
I dont know but I havent seen a single game benchmark yet so its too early to say. I dont really like basing a cards performance od 3dmark06. Also isnt the G80 supposed to have some new AA features? Have a look at this beauty tygerwoody.:drooling:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5218/xfx1hr1.jpg

nekrosoft13
10-31-06, 01:21 PM
well, i will get G80, maybe not on launch, but soon after.

Blacklash
10-31-06, 01:39 PM
Well if it does indeed have HDR+AA, much better AA handling in general, and a HQ AF mode, I am all over it, especially if the 8800 GTS settles @ 449 usd.

Not only will it be capable of providing IQ options the 7950 GX2 can't, it should perform better with high levels of filtering already available.

I'd say fleabay the 7950 and use that money towards a GTS or GTX. With what I am selling mine for I will hardy have to pay shipping costs for a 8800 GTS when it's 449.

Riptide
10-31-06, 02:16 PM
You'll notice that most people are going to say no - look at their SIG(s). They upgrade practically no matter what. This is a generalisation so please people let's not get the panties up in a knot here. But as a general rule it's true.

Those who don't have cutting edge everything are far more likely to be concerned with value for the $. And hence they will be more likely to say yes.

As in my case. My system is no slouch - but it's no Quad SLI/Conroe beast either. Will I be keeping my GX2? I'm considering it. At least going to wait until R600 comes out for a good comparison between the two. The more wealthy individuals or those that spend all their coin on this hobby will buy the latest and greatest - even if it's a 10% or less speed improvement. And if R600 comes out in two months and beats their G80 by 10-15% - they'll dump it and move over to the R600. Well the non-fanboys will anyway. lol

anticitizenzero
10-31-06, 02:19 PM
I dont know but I havent seen a single game benchmark yet so its too early to say. I dont really like basing a cards performance od 3dmark06. Also isnt the G80 supposed to have some new AA features? Have a look at this beauty tygerwoody.:drooling:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5218/xfx1hr1.jpg

got any more pics of that card? :captnkill:

J-Mag
10-31-06, 02:19 PM
Tyger: What benches have you seen? I have only seen 3dmark 06 and 05... I wouldn't judge a cards performance on those two benches alone.

Anyway, All I know is if Crysis hits the shelves before the holliday season is over you will probably end up with a G80 ;)

Digital_Trans
10-31-06, 02:47 PM
I was talking with BFG about the 7950 GX2 today. They told me that the 7950 GX2 would support DirectX 10. These are their own words vs. yours any comment?

Mr_LoL
10-31-06, 02:50 PM
I was talking with BFG about the 7950 GX2 today. They told me that the 7950 GX2 would support DirectX 10. These are their own words vs. yours any comment?
I think they told you the wrong thing or you must have misunderstood what they actually said. The 7950gx2 does not support dx10.

rudedog
10-31-06, 02:51 PM
LOL they must be eating rock salt again......

For anyone not familiar with rock salt. It's used in the US, mainly regions who get snow. It's a combination of salt and sand, that they spread on the roads during snow storms to melt the ice and snow, while providing traction for cars and trucks.

Wow, I need to update my sig.....

Digital_Trans
10-31-06, 02:55 PM
I think they told you the wrong thing or you must have misunderstood what they actually said. The 7950gx2 does not support dx10.

Exactly, they emailed me this....

Yes, the 7950 is designed to support everything from Windows Vista.

Thank you,
Tim S
BFG Support

I know what they mean, The 7950 GX2 will run on Windows Vista because Windows Viata will support DirectX 9 cards.

Digital_Trans
10-31-06, 03:14 PM
LOL they must be eating rock salt again......

For anyone not familiar with rock salt. It's used in the US, mainly regions who get snow. It's a combination of salt and sand, that they spread on the roads during snow storms to melt the ice and snow, while providing traction for cars and trucks.

Wow, I need to update my sig.....

LMAO!

Maverickman
10-31-06, 03:19 PM
I think I'm going to keepy my "lowly" GeForce 7900 GTO for a while. It's a great card for the money. I only game at 1280X1024 wiith 4X AA and 8X AF, and this card eats up anythink I throw at it, especially with my new computer. The 8800 GTX looks tempting, but will easily top the $650 mark in price. Even the GTS at about $449 is too pricey. Sure, I'd get better performance with either of these cards, but is it really needed. I'm not paying that kind of money just so I can brag about my 3DMark '06 score. If my games run great (which they do), I'm happy. When I can't get the performance I'd like to have, it's time to upgrade.

Some Geeks like to upgrade every time something new comes out. To me, it's just a waste of money.

shadow001
10-31-06, 04:20 PM
You'll notice that most people are going to say no - look at their SIG(s). They upgrade practically no matter what. This is a generalisation so please people let's not get the panties up in a knot here. But as a general rule it's true.

Those who don't have cutting edge everything are far more likely to be concerned with value for the $. And hence they will be more likely to say yes.

As in my case. My system is no slouch - but it's no Quad SLI/Conroe beast either. Will I be keeping my GX2? I'm considering it. At least going to wait until R600 comes out for a good comparison between the two. The more wealthy individuals or those that spend all their coin on this hobby will buy the latest and greatest - even if it's a 10% or less speed improvement. And if R600 comes out in two months and beats their G80 by 10-15% - they'll dump it and move over to the R600. Well the non-fanboys will anyway. lol

Well,i can't even use the value for the money argument since i've been fortunate enough over the years in terms of finances,to easily be able to buy 250 of these in cash and not even blink,but i still won't buy one for myself for the reasons i've already listed,but here goes again....

Vista isn't out.
DX10 games won't show up for another few months at least(At least crysis)
R600 is yet to be released,and who knows,it might actually be faster than an 8800 GTX for the same money.
My 7950GX2 still has great performance and i'm still not tapping all of it with the CPU i have now.

If you're on a much slower card than a 7950GX2,go for it since at least you'll game at much higher graphics settings at the very least....

grey_1
10-31-06, 04:42 PM
fwiw I'm still very happy with my 7800GT SLI, never, ever had a single glitch, so I'll wait a while.

Babblefish translation:

Can't afford it...yet.

crainger
10-31-06, 04:59 PM
If someone gave me a 7950GX2 I'll let you know if I plan on keeping it instead of getting a 7950GX2 :D

Seriously though, I'm gonna wait for R600, that will help me decide between a an Intel C2D mboard or an nvidia C2D mboard. I'm leaning towards an Abit C2D Intel board as they officially support SLI AND Crossfire :D

Still if the 680 rules, then it's 8800 all the way :D

JohnEJohn
10-31-06, 05:05 PM
I will be keeping mine for a while until the price drops, with moving out and a new car I have been practically told to keep my addiction to a sencible 1500 a year on pc hardware. It really sux but hey my g/f threatened me with no ahem favours if I go over..... I like pc's but there are better thing's sometimes ;)

nekrosoft13
10-31-06, 05:05 PM

WTF, you got it wrong there dude

7950GX2 will run under dx10, but it still will be dx9 card, meaning no dx10 features

crainger
10-31-06, 05:08 PM

7950GX2 will run under dx10, but it still will be dx9 card, meaning no dx10 features

You could always run it in DX10 software mode... :p

Ambrose
10-31-06, 05:10 PM

Actually, the 7950GX2 will run under DirectX9.0L, which is suppose to be the DirectX9.0c equivalent for Vista.

Tygerwoody
10-31-06, 06:07 PM
Actually, the 7950GX2 will run under DirectX9.0L, which is suppose to be the DirectX9.0c equivalent for Vista.
you have that backwards. Direct X 9.0L is LONGHORN version of DX9.0c. It is for windows Vista to use Direct X 9 coding. ;)

CaptNKILL
10-31-06, 06:23 PM
My 7950 is on ebay right now. :p

I had too many SLI related problems to want to keep it. G80 will be a breath of fresh air assuming it doesn't have a lot of other problems.

Bman212121
10-31-06, 06:29 PM
you have that backwards. Direct X 9.0L is LONGHORN version of DX9.0c. It is for windows Vista to use Direct X 9 coding. ;)

Read it again. :) He has it correct.

HeavyH20
10-31-06, 06:46 PM
To sum it all up, DirectX 9.0L is Microsoft's way of getting you over to Vista. The hope is to give Vista some extra gaming performance over XP to get some more converts. And, to run DirectX 10 mode, you will need a new card. The alternative is to run the DX10 game in DX9 mode, but you loose all the features, as previously stated.

Either way, I sold both my 7950GX2's to try 8800GTX in SLI. Maybe it was a good move, maybe not. We shall see.