PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Ebay and EB to cancel preorders for ebayers

LurkerLito
10-31-06, 10:38 PM
This would be interesting if true:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/rumor-eb-games-clamp-down-on-ps3-ebay-preorders-211258.php

BioHazZarD
11-01-06, 03:30 AM
I think its right, why should people earn x3 the money on ebay ? i hope they can stop this.

Toss3
11-01-06, 05:27 AM
I think its right, why should people earn x3 the money on ebay ? i hope they can stop this.
Why should they? If they're stupid enough to pay 2000+$ for a console then go ahead. Nobody is forcing them to buy anything, and Sony doesn't loose any money on this so I don't understand why they even care. Just let the idiots be idiots and leave the smart ebayers alone. ;)

brady
11-01-06, 05:39 AM
LOL. I went to EB the day of the pre-orders. I was late and I knew there were none left but I asked the guy anyway. He then started tellin me not to worry about it cuz the 360 has a bunch of great games on the way yadda yadda. I don't him I wasn't gunna loose any sleep over it and that the only reason I wanted a ps3 was to sell it on ebay.

He instantly started in with "no your now allowed to do that!" I laughed and asked what he meant. He tells me ebay was gunna take all ps3 sells down. I said I didn't know anything about that but regardless, should I get a ps3 I will be selling it. "BUT, your not allowed!!!" I laughed again. Trust me buddy ebay, craigslist, or my local newspaper...ps3's will be sold and there is not a thing EB can do about it. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

msxyz
11-01-06, 06:09 AM
I've mixed feelings on the matter.

If people are ready to drop insane amounts of money for branded clothes or for really awful paintings made by so called "artists", it isn't really different when it comes to a piece of electronic equipment. Value is subjective.

On the other side, I feel sorry for people who really wanted to buy the PS3 in time for the winter holydays and won't be able to do so because scalpers will purchase most of the available stock just to resell it to people with more money than brains. Not everyone has the luxury to waste time in front of a closed shop for hours.

lIqUID
11-01-06, 06:49 AM
no biggie, I'm just going to wait until the 17th when I have mine in my possession anyways. I'm really hoping for $1500-$2000 for each of the two but we'll see :D

Zelda_fan
11-01-06, 09:43 AM

It's called a free market. I hope they clean house.

MustangSVT
11-01-06, 10:18 AM
Basic economics. Low supply, high demand. I'm a diecast model collector for example, and sometimes they sell some models before the initial launch that everyone wants in a super limited edition and they make 2 to 3 times the amount of the MSRP. Is that fair? No, but no one's forcing me to bid on it. If people dont want to pay thousands of dollars, then dont and wait it out.

Q
11-01-06, 10:20 AM
"I don't think its fair"

Commie.

nemecb
11-01-06, 01:15 PM
On the other side, I feel sorry for people who really wanted to buy the PS3 in time for the winter holydays and won't be able to do so because scalpers will purchase most of the available stock just to resell it to people with more money than brains. Not everyone has the luxury to waste time in front of a closed shop for hours.
So do I, but they weren't going to get one anyway because there isn't enough stock and whether people EBay them or not you'd have to camp out to get one. It's not the fault of the people scalping them, it's the lack of stock that's going to keep most people from getting one.

Besides, it's just Robin Hood. A few smart people stealing from rich, stupid EBayers and giving to the poor (well, okay probably just themselves).:D

BioHazZarD
11-01-06, 02:11 PM
ALso some bastards buy 2 or even 3 ps3 cause they know they can rip people off on ebay.. people doing that should burn in hell.

Marvel_us
11-01-06, 02:21 PM
ALso some bastards buy 2 or even 3 ps3 cause they know they can rip people off on ebay.. people doing that should burn in hell.

I don't see how they're "ripping people off". If people don't like the high price then don't buy one and wait till it's in stock.

I admit it sucks because people who really want one will have to resort to wait or paying a crap load of money on ebay. At the same time I can't knock on it because I'd do the same thing if I had the opportunity.

People are WILLINGLY paying "X" amount of money over retail value on ebay, they aren't forced.

Parts
11-01-06, 02:29 PM
Yeah thats retarded, if people want the damn thing bad enough and are willing to pay for it, let people on Ebay offer them that service.

Ebay, Sony and the store where the system was bought all get money out of it, who the hell says the person who bought it originally cant re-sell it if they want to, BS.

Hell, when 6800s came out and there was a shortage of those, I saw some going for over x2 the price on Ebay too, nobody said anything about that.

Zelda_fan
11-01-06, 02:31 PM
.. people doing that should burn in hell.

But the reality of the situation is that they'll be rolling in money, and you'll be SOL.

And no offense, but making a $2000 profit per system is much more important than you getting your PS3 on launch day.

Tyr-Sog
11-01-06, 02:35 PM
EB Games should be one to talk. They have the worst business practices around.

Ninjaman09
11-01-06, 02:45 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous that they'd ever consider doing this. There is nothing wrong with people E-Baying their systems. If people don't want to pay the high prices, just wait a couple of months FFS. And if Sony has such a problem with it, maybe they shouldn't launch consoles with severe supply shortages.

nemecb
11-01-06, 02:57 PM
And if Sony has such a problem with it, maybe they shouldn't launch consoles with severe supply shortages.
QFT.

lIqUID
11-02-06, 12:06 AM
false rumor....
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4111&Itemid=2

Mr. Hunt
11-02-06, 12:27 AM
Uhmm... how would they tell who was going to Ebay? :\

lIqUID
11-02-06, 06:56 AM
I guess from the pic of the receipt the seller has to post, but it doesn't matter anyways....the whole thing is bogus.

Tygerwoody
11-02-06, 08:09 AM
I can't believe you guys believe this. You can buy a cheese sandwich with the imprint of some woman's face on Ebay for crying out loud. What is ebay going to do? "oh no, please don't sell your PS3. WE DON"T WANT TO MAKE MONEY". Yea right :rolleyes:

Whoever started this rumor is some jealous little prick who didn't put in his order for the PS3 early enough. Now he is crying the blues and is trying to con people out of their system. I hope EVERY SINGLE ONE of those PS3's that were preordered get sold on ebay for thousands, just to piss these whiners off.

Being mad because you didn't preorder a PS3 is just like being mad because you didn't buy stock in Google 2 years ago. What is google suppose to do? stop selling stock because some little cry baby is mad he didn't buy in soon enough? :rolleyes:

Ninjaman09
11-02-06, 08:55 AM
I can't believe you guys believe this. You can buy a cheese sandwich with the imprint of some woman's face on Ebay for crying out loud. What is ebay going to do? "oh no, please don't sell your PS3. WE DON"T WANT TO MAKE MONEY". Yea right :rolleyes:

Whoever started this rumor is some jealous little prick who didn't put in his order for the PS3 early enough. Now he is crying the blues and is trying to con people out of their system. I hope EVERY SINGLE ONE of those PS3's that were preordered get sold on ebay for thousands, just to piss these whiners off.
You didn't read the article, did you? EBay's involvement only includes its policy that pre-order auctions must include a photo of the receipt. The receipt has the buyer's information on it, which EBGames then uses to cancel the pre-order. The auctions are not cancelled, only the pre-orders of the auctioneers.

Being mad because you didn't preorder a PS3 is just like being mad because you didn't buy stock in Google 2 years ago. What is google suppose to do? stop selling stock because some little cry baby is mad he didn't buy in soon enough? :rolleyes:
Preach on, it's totally fair for someone to buy a system and resell it instead of playing it. Can you imagine what kind of precedent that would set if the intent of the buyer was taken into account with regards to who is allowed to purchase something? It's totally retarded.

nemecb
11-02-06, 09:31 AM
I bet they'd get sued if they did this. Not that it matters since apparently it was just a rumor, but there's got to be plenty of reasons for litigation and you know if even one exists someone will take advantage.