PDA

View Full Version : p5n32 PREMIUM 590, C2D x 6800 major problems!

Pages : [1] 2

deano09
11-01-06, 09:23 AM
Dear all

I'm new to the NV Forums and must apologise for but I must ask a few questions about your advertised rig and its setup.
You see, I have recently procured the following (please see below) but for the last 2 weeks I have experienced nothing but trouble. Let me explain.

COMPONENTS:
Seasonic 600W S12 PSU
Intel C2D Extreme 6800
Asus P5n32 sli Premium NForce 590
2 Gb of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
EVGA Superclocked 7950GX2
2 x WD Raptor 74Gb 10K rpm HDD
X-Fi Fatality FPS
Asetek 12V 1/2 inch Dual Rad CPU cooling system
Pioneer 111 DVD
Lian Li G70 case/chassis.

(Note: Now, for me, the important thing here is that it's only the top 5/6 components that are really relevant to my problem because until I get Windows to work, I might as well not even bother to have the rest.)

I have heard/seen a mixed bag of feedback & reports on this latest NF 590 edition board from ASUS and it seems that there are many who are having issues.

My particular problem starts at Windows installation; it booted and posted first time (after construction) and continues to do so without a hitch. I can access the BIOS (which is the latest) and I can play around with all the settings. The Windows CD spins away nicely and I continue to install the NVIDIA raid drivers via floppy...no problems so far...but as soon as the pre-windows installation blue screen prepares to 'START WINDOWS' (as described in the bottom left corner of the monitor) - which should in turn take me to the user agreement and hard drive formatting page - it just hangs. The PC keeps running, no beeps, no errors, and no funny smells. The CD/DVD just runs down and that's it.

Now I have tried, to the best of my knowledge, every combination of settings to get this bad boy up & running. Knowing that all initial Windows data is stored on the MEM before installation I first thought the RAM was faulty. I took the whole machine back to just 1 stick of MEM, no PCI cards, no extra fans taking power...just the minimum at default settings.

Nothing, hangs same place every time.

The MEM then refused to work in the Dual Channel role and the board refused to even have one of the 2 sticks in any of the slots? God knows why.

I upped settings, I under clocked settings. Timings were adjusted, FSBs were down, up and default. HDD are configured correctly for RAID (but I also tried a normal IDE installation for good measure). Voltages were 2.1 to default. But still, every time, it hung at exactly the same point.

I EVEN WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A NEW OEM VERSION OF WINDOWS XP PRO JUST IN CASE THE DISC WAS CORRUPT!

NOVATECH (from whom I bought the board in the UK) told me to get the CPU FSB up to 1000 (but it defaults to 1066?) and the MEM up to 1000 also. This made no difference and if anything (in my opinion) put more strain on the PC as this 1000 MEM speed is an overclock.

5 days ago I RMA’d the MEM and to my surprise - but also satisfaction – I was informed it was faulty. Great I thought! Job done. Get the new, serviceable RAM/MEM in the PC and all will be well.

Last night, I returned to the project and inserted the RAM. This time in dual channel and it liked it. The timings were spot on and all looked good. Proceeded to install Windows from default and to my utter disappointment it hung at the same place.

Once again I played with the settings but nothing changes, it just hangs at Windows Startup?

So, after that rather long winded breakdown of events, my question is –

AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? IS THERE A SETTING IN THE BIOS THAT I NEED TO ADJUST? WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

I know the general feedback on this motherboard is...well…pants to say the least but I have bought it and I’m stuck with it!

Any help would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kind regards,

Deano09 (Dean, UK)

lee63
11-01-06, 06:58 PM
Try running your ram @ 2T, I couldn't get mine stable at all @ 1T :D

deano09
11-02-06, 03:11 AM
This makes no difference as I 've already tried it.

I've resorted to sending the board, CPu & new RAM to an independant for testing? More cost!! Maybe something (either CPU or board) will come back faulty?

Dean

grey_1
11-02-06, 05:00 AM
Have you tried a different optical drive? I have had trouble similar to what your experiencing, came down to a faulty cd/dvd.

top3koms
11-02-06, 05:33 AM
Try running your ram @ 2T, I couldn't get mine stable at all @ 1T :D

When I first setup my C2D setup ,I tried for a week or so to try to get my ram stable at 1T.I finally e-mailed OCZ and was informed that almost all DDR2 ram has to be run at 2T,they said they did not even know why the option is available in Asus brand motherboards.I leave mine on 2T and it stays stable upto it's advertised 900Mhz.

deano09
11-02-06, 05:49 AM
Thanks chaps.

Depending on what feedback I receive form the guys who are testing the board, RAM & CPU today I'll try your ideas.

The 1T/2T thing is interesting, although as I've said earlier, I have tried it in both settings but with no joy.

The CD/DVD theory has just made me LOL though.

What do they say..."KEEP IT SIMPLE". It is the one thing I haven't checked or thought of checking. And I must admit, when I first flashed the CD/DVD up (it is also brand new like eveything else) it was the noisiest component in the PC...what a racket it made/makes. Maybe it is the problem here.

I'll keep you posted.

lee63
11-02-06, 07:48 AM
I have had problems with the chipset IDE driver with Asus boards, I had the same kind of problem with my sons rig, I didn't install the IDE driver and everthing worked fine after that.

deano09
11-02-06, 08:10 AM
What do you mean IDE driver? can you please explain? Please forgive my ignorance...

Do you mean the NVIDIA floppy drivers you have to install when pressing F6?

Deano09

deano09
11-02-06, 08:18 AM
are you refering to the IDE drivers on the CD becasue I can't install them coz I cant even get windows to install.

or do you mean the NVIDIA drivers i am installing from a floppy after pressing F6 for RAID. Becasue if you do mena the latter then I have tried to install with & without these drivers.

Dean

lee63
11-02-06, 08:24 AM
What do you mean IDE driver? can you please explain? Please forgive my ignorance...

Do you mean the NVIDIA floppy drivers you have to install when pressing F6?

Deano09No, they come with the chipset drivers, you did install them right ?? theres and option to not install the NF IDE driver, you should be using these http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf590_winxp32_intel_9.53.html, just dont install the IDE driver when the option comes up and see what happens, its a long shot but give it a try.

EDIT: Forget this, I forgot you cant even install windows. my bad.

lee63
11-02-06, 08:37 AM
Also disable PEG link Mode in the bios (pirate)

deano09
11-02-06, 08:52 AM
The answer to your question is 'No' mate...I haven't installed them because I cannot get into windows to install any kind of driver.

You see, I am starting from fresh with 2 formatted drives (which I wiped prior to getting rid of my old rig). So am right at the very very beginning of the process where by the boot order in the BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD and windows inspects your hardware pre-installation. The screen is blue and you are prompted to press F6 if you need to install 3rd party drivers for the RAID array. These install fine from the A drive and windows then goes about loading a list of data into memory prior to actually starting windows (where by you are given the F8 user agreement screen and then the option select which drive you want to format/install on). It's at the point where the info is loading into mem when the text (at the bottom left) constantly changes telling you which drivers etc are being loaded (q-logic stuff, USB keyboard etc etc). The last activity I ever see is when it completes the loading task and then says "starting windows".
Then that's it.
The drive spins down (which is why I might buy a different drive and swap it) and nothing else happens! I cannot format/select a drive for installation or nothing.
It just hangs.

Deano09

deano09
11-02-06, 08:57 AM
lol

i wrote the above before you edited.

Deano09

Imbroglio
11-04-06, 03:50 PM
have you used this copy of XPsp2 before? did you streamline the sp2 in from a non-sp2 xp install disk? also, you mention that you tried an IDE install, did you have another hd onhand aside from the two raptors? are the 2 raptors correctly reported to the bios? (do you see wdc074.... under drive info, or whatever it reports) when you tried the single drive install, you did plug the SATA cables into the non-raid part of the board, and they were plugged into the raid sata connections previously, right?

cause to me, the reason the drive spins down is your mobo isn't reading the drives correctly, hence why you can't select them, it doesn't see them, for windows to shutdown at that point indicates to me that something is fishy with your drives.

Ecano_X
11-04-06, 09:11 PM
The answer to your question is 'No' mate...I haven't installed them because I cannot get into windows to install any kind of driver.

You see, I am starting from fresh with 2 formatted drives (which I wiped prior to getting rid of my old rig). So am right at the very very beginning of the process where by the boot order in the BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD and windows inspects your hardware pre-installation. The screen is blue and you are prompted to press F6 if you need to install 3rd party drivers for the RAID array. These install fine from the A drive and windows then goes about loading a list of data into memory prior to actually starting windows (where by you are given the F8 user agreement screen and then the option select which drive you want to format/install on). It's at the point where the info is loading into mem when the text (at the bottom left) constantly changes telling you which drivers etc are being loaded (q-logic stuff, USB keyboard etc etc). The last activity I ever see is when it completes the loading task and then says "starting windows".
Then that's it.
The drive spins down (which is why I might buy a different drive and swap it) and nothing else happens! I cannot format/select a drive for installation or nothing.
It just hangs.

Deano09

Have you tried with a SATA DVD reader? It looks an mobo IDE issue.

Imbroglio
11-04-06, 10:42 PM
if it was indeed a mobo ide issue, it wouldn't freeze at the same point of collecting his HD information everytime. that's why i was thinking that something is screwy with his HDs and not his IDE, you know the ide is working because it boots from disk and even begins the win install.

haloeighty8
11-05-06, 06:18 AM
deano09,

Sorry for the delayed reply.. haven't been on lately, but anyways.. I had a similar issue to you where as I couldn't get windows installed when I had all my drives setup as single drives.. ie.. sata 1 / raptor 150 sata 2 / raptor 150.. and so on.. I have 4 drives.

What would happen to me is that is would just hang on the part where it's getting ready to let you select where you want to install windows and on what drive. It was almost like a termination error.. but these days with sata that doesn't seem to be a issue anymore.

Anyways, I hadn't planned on running raid on these drives.. so for the hell of it I setup up 2 raid 0 arrays the 2 raptors and 2 seagates. And well when I tried again.. guess what. It worked..the install when flawless. I don't know if that info will help ya.. but I can tell you, I'm sure you've heard.. this board has to be one of the buggiest boards I've worked with in a LONG time. There just seems to be a plethora of issues with it. Prior to this I had a p5w with crossfire x1950's and I thought that was buggy!! But this one takes the cake...ah well.. what ya gonna do.. I'm actually considering RMA'ing this and getting a refund. but well see .. anyways.. good luck! and I'll keep reading to see how this turns out.

deano09
11-06-06, 06:28 AM
Gentlemen

Wise words from everyone...much appreciated.

Imbroglio - Yes I did have a spare & working non-SATA HDD kicking around and tried the install on that using the Parallel IDE connector on the board. This was my first port of call with regards to fault diagnosis. Because, if the install would work on that drive it was then down to a bad/incorrect RAID setup or the actual drives themselves.

haloeighty8 - So you are telling me that when you had JBOD setup there was no joy at all but as soon as you put a RAID 0 together you were away? That is bizarre! I am hoping to get RAID 0 with the 2 Raptors but as I have mentioned above, no matter what drive is connected or what the connection is...I get no further.

NOVATECH UK have agreed to change the board and I will obviously update to the latest BIOS revision which came out a few days ago and try again. Failing that...it'll be the cheaper option first; buying a new CD/DVD unit and then (God forbid) an RMA of the CPU to SCAN.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far...i will keep tis post updated!

Deano09

jpasint
11-11-06, 08:55 AM
More than likely, your problem is the same as mine. I tried SCSI, IDE, SATA and external USB CDROM readers. Same result every time, blue screen at the starting windows screen. Then I thought to try installing Server 2003 as a test. Worked like a charm.

The problem for me was (which really should not be a problem though) I was using Windows XP w/sp2 Volume License disk. Now which of those points was the problem I can’t say but I tried using a Windows XP w/sp1 Volume License and bingo I was in!

So, try a different CD. I’m guessing it has something to do with sp2.

Take care.

Joe

Caneone
11-15-06, 09:49 AM
Hy,

can someone of the P5n32 Premium users tell me what settings you are using in your bios? I am totally lost and have every single problem discribed in this forum concerning this board. And I guess it is because of my settings.

My system:

P5N32 Premium Bios 0503
Conroe 6600
Geil 2GB 800 mhz
150 GB Raptor X
Enermax Liberty 620
Leadtek 7950 GX2

Thanks
Cane

jpasint
11-15-06, 10:26 AM
Hy,

can someone of the P5n32 Premium users tell me what settings you are using in your bios? I am totally lost and have every single problem discribed in this forum concerning this board. And I guess it is because of my settings.

My system:

P5N32 Premium Bios 0503
Conroe 6600
Geil 2GB 800 mhz
150 GB Raptor X
Enermax Liberty 620
Leadtek 7950 GX2

Thanks
Cane

I'm not at home to give you my settings but would not an F5 to default everything fix any settings issues? What settings are you looking for in specific?

Take care.

Joe

Caneone
11-15-06, 10:35 AM
Hy Joe,

I did that already. Doesn't make things much better....

Probs coming up are: Ram back to 667 mhz instead of 800 mhz.

The rest is anyways more or less set to "AUTO".

But I guess that "auto" setting gives me problems somehow as not everything seems to be properly setup by itself.

I am not even sure if my CPU settings are matching....

Last time I was building a new PC things have been much easier...

thx
Cane

deano09
11-16-06, 11:17 AM
Cane

I've just noticed that your using BIOS 0503.

I could not get this to run stable at all. I experienced problems with windows install etc etc so I went back and reverted the BIOS back to 0401 (which shipped with the board) and started again.

Everything is now tip top.

The first thing I would do is look at the advanced settings tab and select MANUAL. Then go to Frequency and select CPU & MEM TIMINGS MANUAL. Then make sure your CPU is 1066 and your MEM is 800.

If the 800 wont hold then I am tempted to say that your RAM is either not upto the job or it isnt getting enough Voltage.

The Corsair 800MHz XMS2 I use needs 2.1 V but the board defaults to something less than this. So just go into VOLTAGES and set the MEM V to what ever setting GEIL recommend (probably found on their website or on the packaging).

That's a starter for 10, I will be back with more.

Dean

Caneone
11-16-06, 04:21 PM
Hy Dean,

it s running stable as a rock. But I think too slow in games...

RAM is running at 800 and stable, with 2,1 V.
CPU is @ 1066. So I have that :)

What about chipset Memory Timing. Both options in there are a miracle for me.

cheers
Cane

deano09
11-17-06, 03:27 AM
TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED.

I thought I would do the right thing and bring closure to this post by saying that I resolved my issues and it all came down to the Mainboard.
Even though I had it tested and it came back fine, I still had it exchanged and the new one works a treat.

In my experience, do not use the latest 0503 BIOS!

Dont get me wrong, I had some small problems when setting up but with the right drivers for the chipset (there are new ones available) and the correct drivers for my sound & GPU I can now say that I have a real beast on my hands.

A slight overclock of the CPU FSB to 1200 gives me a nice 3.3 Ghz CPU and with no other overclocking of the RAM (which runs @ 2.1V and 800MHz) or GPU I breeze 3dmark 06 scores of 9100+ (the hightest being 9172).

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

Kind regards,

Deano09