PDA

View Full Version : Does the Wii play DVD's?

Parts
11-01-06, 03:00 PM
I havent seen it asked or found any info from nintendo on it, and yeah most people have a DVD player of some kind already, but im just curious.

toxikneedle
11-01-06, 03:04 PM
I don't see why not since Wii games are in DVD format.

Zelda_fan
11-01-06, 03:12 PM
No the Wii will not play DVDs. Technically it has the capability, but Nintendo probably didn't include the software to keep the costs down (there is a licensing fee to have DVD software I think it's around $20).

Nintendo could possibly release an update via the internet if there is enough demand for it, but I doubt it.

LiquidX
11-01-06, 03:40 PM
No it wont and it looks like a firmware update may be out of the question because they plan on releasing one that does play DVD movies but only in Japan.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20729

Parts
11-01-06, 05:12 PM
Hmm thats kinda weird, I would pay a bit more if it played DVDs, just because its a small unit and would be nice and portable. I actually need a new DVD player anyway so itd be perfect since I want a Wii :thumbdwn: to that

saturnotaku
11-01-06, 07:00 PM
Hmm thats kinda weird, I would pay a bit more if it played DVDs, just because its a small unit and would be nice and portable. I actually need a new DVD player anyway so itd be perfect since I want a Wii :thumbdwn: to that

Progressive scan DVD players are free in specially marked boxes of Lucky Charms.

crainger
11-01-06, 07:22 PM
Progressive scan DVD players are free in specially marked boxes of Lucky Charms.

Ain't the truth. Every second weekend it seems a store gives away an LG or Philips to the first 30 customers around here. One stage I had an free LG and Pioneer sitting in my cupboard which I've now given away.

shungokusatsu
11-02-06, 02:17 PM
It was confirmed last week, ONLY the Japanese version will have DVD support.

PeterJensen
11-03-06, 12:38 AM
It was confirmed last week, ONLY the Japanese version will have DVD support.

hmmmm :thumbdwn: But i dont care, i'm playing the dvd's on the 360 so the WII i just for games :o

Parts
11-03-06, 01:59 AM
Yeah it still wont discourage me from getting one, if it played DVD movies itd just be a bonus, still too bad though, Japan gets all the better stuff, not fair!...it should be like... Japan and Canada, and just cut the US out of it!

Bearclaw
11-03-06, 02:14 AM
That's a bummer for sure. You would think they would add that in there...oh well.