PDA

View Full Version : Realtek HD driver vs nVidia

Pages : [1] 2

egyteam
11-01-06, 06:11 PM
can I use nvidia audio driver instead of the realtek HD driver ?

SLippe
11-01-06, 08:43 PM
Yes

Dazz
11-02-06, 11:08 PM
Yeah you can use it but you will pay for the performance drop and compatiblity issues. The NV drivers uses 12 hardware sounds while the RealTek uses 30. As such the NV driver is purly software.

SLippe
11-02-06, 11:13 PM
I found I have better control over sound settings using the NV audio drivers from nvidia's site than the Realtek drivers. Plus, I like the GUI better with the nvidia drivers than Realtek's. How much of a performance hit are we talking here? I may have to try out the Realtek drivers again. I only played music when I had them installed and didn't try any games with them, like I have with the nvidia drivers. Either way, still sounds better than that crappy Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit card I had. :D

EDIT: OK, I just looked at Realtek's website. How do I know if the HD Audio Codecs will work with my system? And which ones do I download? Also, I see they released a new AC'97 driver, v3.94.

rewt
11-03-06, 09:29 AM
One difference I noticed about the nvidia vs realtek drivers.

In F.E.A.R. I cannot select Hardware Mixing with the Realtek AC97 drivers installed, but I can with the nvidia drivers installed.

Anyone know what's the deal with this?

Another thing, neither driver seems to enable EAX Advanced HD. Is it a hardware limitation with my onboard sound chip? Or am I just missing a certain codec?

SLippe
11-03-06, 09:32 AM
One difference I noticed about the nvidia vs realtek drivers.

In F.E.A.R. I cannot select Hardware Mixing with the Realtek AC97 drivers installed, but I can with the nvidia drivers installed.

Anyone know what's the deal with this?

Another thing, neither driver seems to enable EAX Advanced HD. I take it this is a hardware limitation with my onboard sound chip?
Have you tried installing the HD Audio Codec from Realtek and see if it will let you then? I know I can only enable EAX2, but not EAX3 with the nvidia drivers. Hmmmm, this really has me thinking now.

rewt
11-03-06, 09:36 AM
Have you tried installing the HD Audio Codec from Realtek and see if it will let you then?

I will try it. Unfortunately Realtek's FTP is slow as death. Would you happen to know of a mirror for the HD drivers?

rewt
11-03-06, 09:45 AM
Mirrors: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4902.html (I used second FL)

I do not think it supports our chip (ALC850)

Realtek High Definition Audio:

Realtek: ALC260/262
Realtek: ALC265/268
Realtek: ALC660/681
Realtek: ALC880/882
Realtek: ALC883/885/888

Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) driver only.

SLippe
11-03-06, 10:03 AM
Mirrors: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4902.html (I used second FL)

I do not think it supports our chip (ALC850)

Realtek High Definition Audio:

Realtek: ALC260/262
Realtek: ALC265/268
Realtek: ALC660/681
Realtek: ALC880/882
Realtek: ALC883/885/888

Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) driver only.
Yeah, I just found that out also. Damnit! Ah well. I'm going to try the A3.94 drivers out now in some games and see if I like them better than nvidia's audio driver and watch for performance hits or the lack of. Thanks for your info anyway.

rewt
11-03-06, 10:10 AM
I like the sound quality of the Realtek's AC97 much better. But I don't really know which one has the best performance. Nor do I know why one driver allows Hardware Mixing and the other doesn't. Wouldn't you think hardware mixing improves performance?

EDIT: Found some info on it

Sound

Sound Effects, Speech, Music: These sliders determine the volume of the various audio elements of the game. Adjust to suit your taste. If you want to completely disable sound or music to improve performance, see under FEAR Config Tool in the Advanced Tweaking section. That is, setting a slider to the far left here does not remove that element from memory and hence there is no performance difference at the various slider levels.

Enable HW Mixing: If set to On, FEAR will use your sound hardware. This provides better performance and audio quality, however depending on whether your sound card is compatible with FEAR (See Readme.txt file), you may experience audio glitches with Hardware support enabled. Generally speaking most Audigy sound card owners should enable HW Mixing, those with onboard sound should disable it.

Enable EAX 2.0: If you own a sound card which supports EAX (Environmental Audio), you can enable this option for a reduction in performance but an increase in audio quality. Once again this can lead to hardware glitches, but before disabling EAX first make sure to go into your sound card's EAX Control Panel and click the 'All Effects Off' button, or untick the 'Enable Audio Effects' option. Also untick 'Enable CMSS 3D' under 'CMSS 3D Effects' if necessary, as this can cause 3D sound effects to come from the wrong locations in FEAR.

Enable EAX Advanced HD: Selecting On for this option enables Advanced HD on Creative sound cards, mainly the Audigy and X-Fi series. This provides even better audio quality and 3D positioning of sounds with a slight performance drop, but firstly make sure you've downloaded the latest sound drivers for your card. Once again if you have any audio glitches disable Advanced HD first, then also disable EAX if the trouble continues.

If you continue to have audio problems in FEAR, disable all three of the above options, and refer to the Troubleshooting Tips section of this guide for more resources which can help you out. The sound in FEAR seems to be problematic for many people

egyteam
11-03-06, 01:32 PM
will the nvidia driver work with realtek HD ALC883 ?

rewt
11-03-06, 02:09 PM
You should probably stick to realtek if you have an HD chip.

SLippe and I have ALC 850 which does not appear to have HD functionality.

Now the weird thing is, amongst testing all these drivers, I can't get Hardware Mixing to enable anymore.. Maybe it's a bug in FEAR or something. I'll try and reinstall the game later.

BTW I found this neat little tool that lets you benchmark audio performance.
RightMark 3D Sound (http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rm3ds.shtml)
Download page: http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

Check it out and post some results if you like.

My tests show the Nvidia v4.65 audio driver to be slightly less CPU intensive than the Realtek A3.94. Not by much though, only about 2 to 3%.

garikfox
11-03-06, 07:27 PM
One thing here, All or most Mobo Co.'s Say on there web site in the driver section too use RealTek, Not ONE site says too use nVidia, SO that said ALWAYS use RealTek !!

Knowledge is Power !

rewt
11-03-06, 07:56 PM
So if all mobo companies said "Go jump off a bridge", I suppose you'd do that too?

I personally don't care what mobo companies say.. Unless they can back up their statement with real world applications ..

For me, it's pretty much a tie up between the two. Realtek having slightly better sound quality. nVidia having slightly less CPU utilization with nicer GUI interface.

Right now I'm using the nvidia 4.65 audio driver. So sue me ..

Dazz
11-03-06, 08:14 PM
One thing i did like was the drivers with NV was the layout was much better and looked better but performance suffered this was why i picked RealTeks drivers over NV's. NV's drivers are more compatiblity so they work an most NV boards with the AL850+ chipsets. There is a decent hit from NV's drivers and Realteks 12 sounds Vs 30 is quite a diffrence. I don't think apart from Creative Audgiy and XFi sound cards support EAX3.0 onwards.

However since i got rid of My ASUS Deluxe, premum and DFi board i have not tested the drivers since as my MIS K8N has an onboard Auidgy. SO NV's drivers may have gotten better.

SLippe
11-03-06, 08:50 PM
Well, I d/l'd the HD and the A3.94 drivers. Took me like an hour to d/l the A3.94 drivers...good grief! Anyways, didn't get a chance to install either of them. Hopefully tomorrow on my day off. These 12 hours shifts suck! :( Well, the 4 days off don't though! :) Back on topic...

rewt
11-03-06, 09:38 PM
There is a decent hit from NV's drivers and Realteks 12 sounds Vs 30 is quite a diffrence.

Now that I think of it, one driver did play more sounds. Was that the Realtek one or nVidia one?

SLippe
11-04-06, 12:25 AM
Now that I think of it, one driver did play more sounds. Was that the Realtek one or nVidia one?
Yeah you can use it but you will pay for the performance drop and compatiblity issues. The NV drivers uses 12 hardware sounds while the RealTek uses 30. As such the NV driver is purly software.
So this means you'll hear more sounds using the Realtek driver?

SLippe
11-05-06, 01:38 AM
These Realtek drivers, A3.94, frickin' rock! My games and music sound so much better than the nvidia drivers did. I'm definately keeping these installed. :thumbsup:

I can't enable Hardware Mixing in FEAR though. Oh well.

rewt
11-05-06, 12:40 PM
I can't enable Hardware Mixing in FEAR though. Oh well.

I can't either anymore. I don't know what happened. Must be a bug somewhere.

tomaceli
11-06-06, 04:37 PM
Hi!

Here's an interesting article about Realtek's HD codec and its EAX functionalities...:

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/onboard-eax/index.x?pg=1

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-06-06, 05:23 PM
well i have the 880 something but then again i use X-fi Extreme music so i have disabled the in built sound chip

but i sometimes found the nvidia driver better more control over the 5.1 speaker settings

well well

SLippe
11-07-06, 09:17 AM
Hi!

Here's an interesting article about Realtek's HD codec and its EAX functionalities...:

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/onboard-eax/index.x?pg=1
Yeah, I posted this yesterday in the General Software Forums where I posted the new release of the A3.94 drivers.
Well, maybe not...

Apparently EAX is broken in these drivers. BF2 is unplayable using Hardware with EAX enabled. Every sound effect is at max volume. In other words, you can hear tanks, helicopters, soldiers firing, etc. all over the map just like they were right beside you. Disabling EAX helped, but then the sound was crackly and stuttering. Setting the audio options to Software with EAX enabled sounded just fine. Question though... If all I have is onboard sound with Realtek drivers installed, then what is the difference between the game using Hardware or Software? Surround sound seems to be working with Software also. I know when I had my Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit card, I had to use Software as well. BTW, this sound problem doesn't occur with the NVIDIA Audio drivers with Hardware and EAX enabled. I may go back to them, I guess.
I have since gone back to the nVidia audio drivers.

K007
11-07-06, 11:06 AM
Realtek..kinda gives me stuttering here and there..i dont really like it either..sounds are..not that great..nvidia ones are great for me..

Rakeesh
11-07-06, 12:42 PM
Do the nvidia drivers support dolby digital live? And do the nvidia drivers work on non-nforce chipsets so long as it is made by realtek?

And where do you download the nvidia hd audio driver?