PDA

View Full Version : On-Line Gaming problem...

Nemesis
02-24-03, 12:03 PM
I've just had 512K ADSL installed, which completely rocks compared to dial up :D

However, in UT and UT2003, when I try to connect to an on-line server, both games just seem to lock up, in UT it say's "Querying Server" and sits there doing nothing else, and in UT2003 it just sits there! I have to re-boot in both cases. I played UT fine over a modem, although not recently, and I've never tried with UT2003. Now I have broadband, I want to make use of it! Am I being impatient? System in sig...

Any help would be appreciated...

-=DVS=-
02-24-03, 01:50 PM
Does it do that in all server , maybe try another one , and what ping does it show before you join server , try the one with lowest ping,

OH and if you have FireWall software that might be your problem also.

silence
02-24-03, 02:32 PM
as i get it....it doesn't even show ping or anything........

it sounds like it is still trying to connect through modem and cause it can't find it locks up......did u uninstall ur modem drivers and completly removed it from ur system??

Smokey
02-24-03, 02:40 PM
Doesnt WinXP activate the XP firewall when creating a new connection? To check, check the connection properties, then security, turn off firewall.

-=DVS=-
02-24-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Doesnt WinXP activate the XP firewall when creating a new connection? To check, check the connection properties, then security, turn off firewall.

Windows XP firewall is a joke realy and it does not interfere with your other programs/games , but if you have a real firewall like ZoneAlarm,Norton,.....

But yes its possible as silence said it could be driver problem perhaps .

demonized
02-24-03, 05:06 PM
have you gone to dslreports.com? its a very helpful site.
do tracerts and see if your loosing packets. they have tons of tools that you could use to diagnose the problem.

Nemesis
02-25-03, 05:38 AM
:rolleyes: Stupid me... it's Zonealarm kicking off in the background asking if I want to let UT connect... and I can't see the damn message 'cos the game is full screen! I assumed it was some setting for ADSL I hadn't found.

Thanks to all for your help.

Tonight, I will test my new connection... and kick some ass :D

Smokey
02-25-03, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Windows XP firewall is a joke realy and it does not interfere with your other programs/games , but if you have a real firewall like ZoneAlarm,Norton,.....

But yes its possible as silence said it could be driver problem perhaps .

LOL I dont know really I dont use it, just when seeting up internet sharing, if it is on, it will block the client pcs :p