PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing drivers past 91.31

CrimsonLoneWolf
11-03-06, 10:22 AM
I have a BFG 7900 GTX, and i haven't been able to update my drivers since the 91.31 version. I read a post somewhere here on the forum as well, with another guy who had similar problems.

Symptoms ->

After installing the new whql drivers from nvidia's site, xp 32bit version, rebooting, my hard drive starts working like insane, and everything works terribly slow, in XP. I cant even access the nvidia's control panel, well i might be able to if i could be arsed to wait for more than 5 minutes i suppose.

I'm running windows xp pro, pre service pack 2 (i usually never update anything that works for me).

The problems were the same a few months ago when i had an AMD Nvidia sli mobo combination...

Any hints, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda getting annoyed that i cant update my drivers!

Computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gig ddr 2 800 mhz ram, asus p5b deluxe mobo, sound blaster audigy 2. (everything except service pack 2, has been updated to the newest drivers)

stevemedes
11-03-06, 09:44 PM
I have a BFG 7900 GTX, and i haven't been able to update my drivers since the 91.31 version. I read a post somewhere here on the forum as well, with another guy who had similar problems.

Symptoms ->

After installing the new whql drivers from nvidia's site, xp 32bit version, rebooting, my hard drive starts working like insane, and everything works terribly slow, in XP. I cant even access the nvidia's control panel, well i might be able to if i could be arsed to wait for more than 5 minutes i suppose.

I'm running windows xp pro, pre service pack 2 (i usually never update anything that works for me).

The problems were the same a few months ago when i had an AMD Nvidia sli mobo combination...

Any hints, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda getting annoyed that i cant update my drivers!

Computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gig ddr 2 800 mhz ram, asus p5b deluxe mobo, sound blaster audigy 2. (everything except service pack 2, has been updated to the newest drivers)

Wow that's a really strange problem.

Let's start with the basics:

Download DriverCleaner LINK: http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Run that program. Then restart your computer in safe mode. Then install the newest drivers. Tell us how it goes! Also, silly question, what power supply do you have?

SLippe
11-04-06, 12:29 AM
You should probably update at least DirectX. You don't even update the Critical Updates? *shrugs* Your machine.

Yes, follow the directions on that Driver Cleaner Pro.
1) Run the Driver.cab cleaner first.
2) Run the NVIDIA cleaner second. (make sure it just says NVIDIA and not one of the other ones, those will clean your mobo drivers out if you have a nforce mobo)
3) Install new NVIDIA display drivers.

Good luck.

admiral1313
11-05-06, 04:30 PM
Crimsonwolf I had the exact same problem with you. You will only solve it by installing Service Pack 2. I too had an SP1 setup and it got fixed the moment I updated my system.You should do the same.There is no other way around it.

litri
11-05-06, 07:13 PM
Yep, get XP service pack 2 and your problems should go away...